Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mass please give me one more hexing tonight and you will be my hero. Your new team loves ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan11
    Mass please give me one more hexing tonight and you will be my hero. Your new team loves ya!!!
    giantsfan, are you familiar with Greek Mythology? Have you ever heard of Sisyphus and his eternal curse?...... It's the same sort of deal that the Red Sox have. Look it up if you haven't. The story will sound very familiar.

Have you ever read any of the great "Tragic" stories/plays of the Greeks and/or Shakespeare? If you have, you know the anti-climax generally occurs just at the moment the protagonist believes that he/she is about to achieve their ultimate goal. The Red Sox are the ultimate Greek/Shakespearian tragic character, and they will be again this year. Maybe not tonight, but within the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    Post of the year right here. Nice work. Dave for October POTM in a walk after this one.
    I'm quite proud of it myself, but since it's hidden in the baseball forum no one will see it. Oh well. Sometimes you've gotta just create art for the joy it brings you, not what other people think.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.

So let me ask you this...

Your theoretical brother always wanted to be a doctor. Ever since he was little it was all he talked about. It was his life's dream. Not only the ability to help others, but to live comfortably while doing it. It was the best of both worlds and he wanted it more than anything else.

He goes through pre-med in college, working long hard nights to make the grade. He gets accepted to med school. He goes there and struggles mightily, and despite his best efforts, he just doesn't make the grade and fails out.

Do you refuse to ever talk to him again and call him a loser because he fell short of his ultimate goal? Do you look up a successful doctor in the phone book and ask him to be your new brother?
    What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan 55
    So let me ask you this...

Your theoretical brother always wanted to be a doctor. Ever since he was little it was all he talked about. It was his life's dream. Not only the ability to help others, but to live comfortably while doing it. It was the best of both worlds and he wanted it more than anything else.

He goes through pre-med in college, working long hard nights to make the grade. He gets accepted to med school. He goes there and struggles mightily, and despite his best efforts, he just doesn't make the grade and fails out.

Do you refuse to ever talk to him again and call him a loser because he fell short of his ultimate goal? Do you look up a successful doctor in the phone book and ask him to be your new brother?
    Only 2 problems with your analogy......

1. You can't choose your family members. You can choose what teams to root for.

2. The success of the teams I root for is more important than my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass_SkinsFan

how are you not commited?

somewhere else on the net - goodbye folks it's been fun

For a lot of us being a Sox fan is genetic. Someday that will be proven.

Sure you can choose your family members. Lots of people have been disowned or divorced from members of their family. Frankly, I think switching from Sox to Yanks is the equivalent of disowning your son because he didn't get into Harvard like you wanted him to.
    What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Q: Is there a form you have to fill out or some official conversion process you have to go through to become a Yankee fan?

A: This depends on several things. If you were born in New York and didn't have strong ties to any team before your conversion, you're allowed a free pass to become a Yankees fan. If you move to New York at a young age before developing any strong sports allegiances you're also allowed a free pass. If you fit into any of the previous catagories but are a Mets fan, there is a lengthy process to go through but it's not all that difficult. You have to start by telling your friends and family that you don't mind seeing the Yankees win as long as they aren't playing the Mets. "If the Mets can't win we should root for the team from New York." That process should continue for at least a year or two, at which time you subtley start to slip Yankees paraphenelia into your wardrobe. You then start to watch Yankee and Mets games equally, while developing a strong hatred of Boston fans. Eventually you're required to publically admit you're now a Yankee fan, but it happens a lot so no one gets really upset when you do.

If you're a RedSox fan the conversion is seldom performed and few people know the true gorey details of the process. I've only heard bits and pieces about the process myself, but rumor has it part of the conversion involves sodomizing a dog while admitting you're a chicken $#!t who would rather forego the respect of your friends and family to root for a winner than have any true team loyalty. If the Sox do at any point in your lifetime win a World Series, if you attempt to jump back on the RedSox bandwagon along the way you will be viewed as the lowest form of human life. In Massachusetts it's acceptable grounds for a divorce. Your spouse will get everything and you won't be given any visitation rights with your children.

The only other acceptable way to convert from a Sox fan to a Yankee fan is to come home and find your wife performing fellatio on a Sox player. If that occurs you're allowed to convert, but it's expected that your friends and family will still call you an unloyal traitor behind your back. All true RedSox fans know that in that situation the correct response isn't to get upset, but to instead try to get free tickets. "Sorry if my wife isn't very good at that. When she's done can I get you a beer?"

Now THAT is a rule book. Great friggin post. POTM vote from me...
    "They did what they wanted to, when they wanted to do it, and how they wanted to do it"--Miami LB Zach Thomas on the Patriots offense

Your the man Mass. Mind pulling for the winner of tomorrows game?

This thread gets funnier every night.

Keep Mass, he seemed to be the damned curse all those years! :D
    "They did what they wanted to, when they wanted to do it, and how they wanted to do it"--Miami LB Zach Thomas on the Patriots offense

Mass is like that, maybe this is his ingenius reverse mojo?

Seahawk. I cracked up when you asked him to root for Michigan last night. I just cant believe it. I am a huge Sox fan and just being down 3-0 I was thinking the Yankees will be rubbing a sweep in our face again.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast