Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 178
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    So 30 years was as quickly and completely as possible for you? Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of your intelligence level.
    Yeah, I know. What scares me is the intelligence level of some of these 60+ year olds. They must not have much "upstairs" at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    You root for a team because they're your team and you like to root for them. If they win, awesome. If they don't, well as a very wise man once told me, "the great thing about baseball is there's always another game." If your sole reason for watching is to see a certain team win, you're watching for the wrong reasons.
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you. WINNING is what any competition is about. Not competition, or rooting for your team. Fandom is a two-way street. If you get nothing back, why keep putting anything in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    Your attitude is the adult sports fan equivalent of taking your ball and going home because the other kids didn't let you pitch.
    Well, I always was the "take my ball and go home" type as a kid. Though it wasn't pitching that was the issue. I think this sums it up best..... "If you can't win, don't play."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    57,221
    Mass,

    I recommend you wait until the playoffs each year and pick your team that you will be rooting for at that point.

    You have a much greatere chance of "winning" then.

    For some of us the important part is rooting for the team. Winning is ancillary to that.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tied to the KFFL merry-go-round
    Posts
    24,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass_SkinsFan
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you. WINNING is what any competition is about. Not competition, or rooting for your team. Fandom is a two-way street. If you get nothing back, why keep putting anything in?
    I agree winning is what any competition is about...when you're one of the competitors. I feel bad for you if you didn't get anything out of watching the Sox-Yanks matchups over the years, especially the last couple years. I've seen some of the most exciting, memorable, entertaining games of my life. How is that not getting something back?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass_SkinsFan
    And people wonder why I don't buy lottery tickets, or go to casinos. There is no way to win. By the time you win, you've given the house more than you've won. Sounds like a tax on stupidity to me.
    So I guess I'll see you down at foxwoods, cheering on the dealers?

    But just for the point of saying so, I'm sure that some members of the MIT blackjack team who took various casinos for a couple million dollars have been Red Sox fans, too.
    If the phrase, "body odor", or the word, "mayonaise", appears anywhere on the list of your top 5 best qualities, you might want to reevaluate your life as a whole. Or at least stay out of situations that involve sweating or direct sunlight.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk
    Mass,

    I recommend you wait until the playoffs each year and pick your team that you will be rooting for at that point.

    You have a much greatere chance of "winning" then.

    For some of us the important part is rooting for the team. Winning is ancillary to that.
    Nah. Then you end up buying jerseys/hats for a dozen differnt teams over time. That isn't cost effective. I prefer to find the one team that is going to be there pretty much every year and go with them. Makes it much easier. Sorry, you'll never convince me that anything other than winning is the important part of sports.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    I agree winning is what any competition is about...when you're one of the competitors. I feel bad for you if you didn't get anything out of watching the Sox-Yanks matchups over the years, especially the last couple years. I've seen some of the most exciting, memorable, entertaining games of my life. How is that not getting something back?
    I disagree.... If I am going to spend my time, energy and money to support a team, I expect results. No I did not get anything positive out of those matchups. I got a number of negative things out of it, but nothing positive.

    Would you accept company logo merchandise and materials instead of your normal paycheck? That's why your "most exciting, memorable, entertaining games" are to me.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeesix
    So I guess I'll see you down at Foxwoods, cheering on the dealers?
    No. Though I have often thought it would be interesting to go to a casino and walk around seeing how people react when they realize they have just lost their entire life savings, house, etc.... It's a tax on stupidity and it keep the EMS units in the area busy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeesix
    But just for the point of saying so, I'm sure that some members of the MIT blackjack team who took various casinos for a couple million dollars have been Red Sox fans, too.
    Some of them probably are. Then again they should have enough $$$ to get the therapy necessary to break them of their sado-masochistic attraction to the Sox.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass_SkinsFan
    No. Though I have often thought it would be interesting to go to a casino and walk around seeing how people react when they realize they have just lost their entire life savings, house, etc.... It's a tax on stupidity and it keep the EMS units in the area busy.
    You'll fit right in as a yankee fan.

    And then again as a mets fan when the yankees aren't doing so hot.
    If the phrase, "body odor", or the word, "mayonaise", appears anywhere on the list of your top 5 best qualities, you might want to reevaluate your life as a whole. Or at least stay out of situations that involve sweating or direct sunlight.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tied to the KFFL merry-go-round
    Posts
    24,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass_SkinsFan
    I disagree.... If I am going to spend my time, energy and money to support a team, I expect results. No I did not get anything positive out of those matchups. I got a number of negative things out of it, but nothing positive.

    Would you accept company logo merchandise and materials instead of your normal paycheck? That's why your "most exciting, memorable, entertaining games" are to me.
    Jesus, dude, it's a leisure activity, not an IRA investment.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeesix
    You'll fit right in as a yankee fan.

    And then again as a mets fan when the yankees aren't doing so hot.
    Nah. The Mets are one of the teams I could never root for. Besides, they don't have a serious national tv tie-in and the Yankees aren't likely to be bad for a long enough stretch to make it worthwhile.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    Jesus, dude, it's a leisure activity, not an IRA investment.
    No. Actually it's more important than that. MUCH more important. Nothing that I devote any amount of time and energy to is a "leisure activity."

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Village
    Posts
    5,224
    How about devoting some time and energy into finding a clue?


    I always hear about 'frontrunning" Yankee fans but it is my experience that Red Sox Nation has as many as anyone.


    Witness this guy for a fine example.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by jimthefin
    How about devoting some time and energy into finding a clue?.
    Sorry, I don't have the time or energy for such worthless endeavours.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimthefin
    I always hear about 'frontrunning" Yankee fans but it is my experience that Red Sox Nation has as many as anyone.

    Witness this guy for a fine example.
    If leaving a fanbase after 30 years of unrequited love and continued investment with no return is being a "frontrunner" then I will wear the title proudly.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Village
    Posts
    5,224
    I doubt you can do anything "proudly".

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by jimthefin
    I doubt you can do anything "proudly".
    jim, I am quite proud of who and what I am. I understand that people here do not agree with me on almost everything. That's fine. On most issues I am right. On the rest, the others are wrong. No big deal.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.