Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lofaw pretty much nailed it.

And what's an antenna? Seriously though, people still have/use those? Nor do I want to play bounty hunter and track down feed after feed or site after site when the NFL or whoever shuts down the site I was using to watch games a week ago. Lastly, watching youtube videos online is one thing. Watching a 3, 3 1/2 hour game of football or a 2 hour movie on a computer is another. I've only watched one movie on a computer and it was kinda funky doing so. At least it was in full high definition. I've never seen or watched a sporting event/game online that was in high definition. That's not to say they don't come in high definition I've just never seen one in high definition.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    I should've added that I had DirecTV and switched to TWC (don't ever do that. Ever!) and now DTV is going with the hard sell and free sh*t to get me back. I'm gonna do it, I've just been too lazy, plus I'm trying to get Showtime/HBO/Cinemax/Starz all free for a year. As well as Sunday Ticket which they've already said I'll get for free.
    Yeah, that's where I was a few years ago... Had some customer service issues with DirecTV and switched to Comcast... The grass wasnt' greener, EXCEPT... I am a guy who is perfectly happy with just the Red Zone Channel. Don't really need the full Sunday Ticket... I was able to get RZ for $5 from Comcast, but DirecTV doesn't let you do that...

Anyway, the grass wasn't greener with Comcast... Two years ago I switched back to DTV and got the ticket free... Now, with my contract expiring in August I was able to squeeze out free Sunday Ticket and $25 off my bill from them for only a one year contract.... So at this rate I can essentially go back to them every year and ask them to keep it all the same..... My ace in the hole if they try to call my bluff is that I really DON'T care... I already have internet through Comcast and it would be cheaper to bundle services with them and, as I said, I'm fine with just the RZ Channel....

So I feel I kinda have DirecTV where I want them now for the foreseeable future... My bill is manageable and I should be able to extort free Sunday Ticket every year now...
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

Quote Originally Posted by Payton34 View Post
    So I feel I kinda have DirecTV where I want them now for the foreseeable future... My bill is manageable and I should be able to extort free Sunday Ticket every year now...
    Yeah, this ^^^^^ is what I'm angling for as well.

56crash is correct in that DTV and all the other cable companies for that matter are giving us the high hard one. I'll be happy though in finding the one that causes me the least discomfort. From what I've seen/heard/experienced DTV is that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    And what's an antenna? Seriously though, people still have/use those? Nor do I want to play bounty hunter and track down feed after feed or site after site when the NFL or whoever shuts down the site I was using to watch games a week ago. Lastly, watching youtube videos online is one thing. Watching a 3, 3 1/2 hour game of football or a 2 hour movie on a computer is another. I've only watched one movie on a computer and it was kinda funky doing so. At least it was in full high definition. I've never seen or watched a sporting event/game online that was in high definition. That's not to say they don't come in high definition I've just never seen one in high definition.
    Yes, people still use them...people who cut cable entirely and use stuff like Netflix/Hulu instead. You can put up an antenna and pick up the networks (in HD) for free.

Yesterday DirecTV sent an email to me telling me to test drive Sunday Ticket MAX by watching a pre-season game on my mobile device. I was unable to see the Pats/Giants game...and I called in to complain cuz I was a MAX package subscriber. They told me I wasn't...and I had them activate it because I gotta have Red Zone channel. So, I need to call them back to tell them I am supposed to have MAX for free not $18 a month (5 months or $90 total). Even if DirecTV refuses to budge...I am OK with it because I am still getting Sunday ticket free, 90 days of Showtime, and $20 off all year....(I think that's how they are giving me "Max" free...with $20 off...but I will call and bitch anyway).

As for disconnecting from cable...I would do it if sports were available via the internet. I am HOPING that At&T will be able to stream NFL games over all of their devices...if so...I am pulling the plug because with a HD antenna and something like Apple TV/Roku/Chromecast...I would be just fine with that. I'd just go to bars for play-off basketball games.

Sunday ticket is expensive, but still cheaper than going to a bar for outside of market games. Your team is only on national TV about 7 times a year. Meaning 9 games at the bar...and the bar is 20 miles away (the good one I like)..so that's $8 in gas (assuming 20/mpg)...plus $20 for the buffet and drinks. So, $28 X 9 = $252...and Sunday ticket is only costing me $90 this year (maybe free).
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by rjohmit View Post
    Yes, people still use them...people who cut cable entirely and use stuff like Netflix/Hulu instead. You can put up an antenna and pick up the networks (in HD) for free.
    Yeah, I was just funnin on the antenna thing. I live in the boonies, 23,000 or so peeps in my town and we're the LA or Frisco of the general surrounding area. Going out into the true sticks, Lenwood, Newberry, Daggett, Yermo, Hinkley, in the area I live and you'll see a few homes with in the ground to 100+ feet in the sky antennas still around. I'm still and just ridiculously impaired when it comes to the internet/netflx/hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    I got mine for free too...and the 'MAX' version. My 2 year contract was up in September and I told the rep that wifey was busting my balls and I had to cancel DirecTV. He came back with free Sunday Ticket MAX and 3 months free Showtime. Somebody here told me to say, "retention" when the computer asks you what you are calling for.
    I believe that was me :)
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I called yesterday.

My contract has been up for awhile now, so I went through "retention" and told them I was gonna cancel everything because it was just too expensive.

I wound up getting Sunday Ticket Max for FREE. + $30 off my bill a month for 1 year. + Free Genie upgrade. To do all this I had to renew my contract for 2 years. Well worth it imo. Saved over $700 & I was gonna keep Directv anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohmit View Post
    If there was a "Sunday Ticket" for college football, I'd cut everything but internet. I think it's fairly absurd cable companies are allowed to operate as they do.

Update: I had cancelled Sunday Ticket because it was too expensive. The most I could get them down to originally was $195. I called today and basically told the customer service representative I spoke to that I cancelled because it was too costly, and I'm hearing from friends and people I chat with on sports forums that some customers are getting it for free or half price. (I should have said just free). Anyway, I told them I wanted it, but not at the price they were offering it. The customer service representative told me she can only offer me the going rate, which is more than I wanted to pay. Other departments can offer what's available for them to offer. I told her "Can you connect me with retention, please?" She did, and I spoke with a young lady who offered to reconnect me (I don't have to get a 2-year contract because I was already a customer) for $132. I should have pushed for free, but I didn't want to press my luck. I can handle $132. So I'm back as an NFL Sunday Ticket customer. Let the games begin!!!
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    I called yesterday.

My contract has been up for awhile now, so I went through "retention" and told them I was gonna cancel everything because it was just too expensive.

I wound up getting Sunday Ticket Max for FREE. + $30 off my bill a month for 1 year. + Free Genie upgrade. To do all this I had to renew my contract for 2 years. Well worth it imo. Saved over $700 & I was gonna keep Directv anyway.
    I got the same deal, with no Genie upgrade, but then only a one year contract.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12