Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    12,630
    Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    Well I don't think its something that just sneaked up on anyone, the need for better long term safety play. We drafted two last year, we've signed veteran after veteran. One gets suspended for a year then forever, the other gets suspended for two games, twice now, while the young pups we drafted haven't really panned out. We also spent 3 different 3rd round picks on OL in the last few years (Ribs, Moses, Long), and of course 3 million first round picks on RGIII, so while the need for better safeties is clear even to Cap'n Obvious types, the means to fix the hole has been scarce because we've been fixing other holes, or at least trying to.

    I guess the point I'm making is, come next offseason, unless we decide we need a new QB, then safety will likely be the biggest hole we have and need the most urgent attention to fix. Among our many holes over the last 6/7 years since ST died, safety has always been one but also always been deeper down on the list.

    Last point I'd make, not that I like to defend $hithead players at all, but had ST not been murdered, and stayed at the deep free safety spot where he was a monster, then Landry being an "in the box" strong safety where he was suited to play, would have worked out OK. But once they moved Landry back into more of a coverage, roaming type safety, it became obvious that his "takes $hitty angles" and "can't cover anything" was going to get exposed. If he could have stayed up at the LOS, he would have been fine. Such is life... or death, I guess.
    Agreed. I pissed and moaned when they let Clark go - and took some grief for it on this board. Now, he's our best bet at safety, but by all reports - he's... old now. Anyone depending on Merriweather and Jackson were out of their minds. Even when Merriweather isn't suspended - he'll f up several times for each good play. The only hope I had was for Thomas, and apparently they have no faith that he'll get healthy. Considering they probably knew all along about Thomas' health, there was no excuse for them not doing something more about the safety positions.
    I use stats like a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Irvine CA
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post
    Agreed. I pissed and moaned when they let Clark go - and took some grief for it on this board. Now, he's our best bet at safety, but by all reports - he's... old now. Anyone depending on Merriweather and Jackson were out of their minds. Even when Merriweather isn't suspended - he'll f up several times for each good play. The only hope I had was for Thomas, and apparently they have no faith that he'll get healthy. Considering they probably knew all along about Thomas' health, there was no excuse for them not doing something more about the safety positions.
    That's what I'm saying though, there is an excuse: Salary cap (with the penalty), RGIII trade, other bigger holes to fill. We spent three 3rd round picks on OL since 2012. If we had spent those on safeties, we'd probably be all set. But we had to try to restock the OL to protect our QB, who just happened to cost us three 1st round picks. We spent a 4th and a 6th on safeties last year, it didn't work. But if one of those later picks shines like AlMo did, we'd be all set. We got lucky with AlMo, but not with Rambo. (I'm a freaken poet, LOL)

    So we're left trying to patch the holes at safety with spackle, duc(t) tape and bungy cords. Its not like the need at safety is a sudden development, but they've been trying to fix it on a tight budget with other priorities.

    Ultimately the NFL is always like that. Fill one hole while another springs open. Very few teams are strong at every unit and deep at every unit. For a 3-13 team, if safety is the biggest weakness we have right now, we should be able to work with that. The guy we just signed off the street started 13 games right up through the Super Bowl for Denver. So maybe we got lucky there.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    32,226
    Great posts Kick. This team had a ton of holes, starting with QB. They could not fill every one in 3-4 years unless they got blind lucky like the Colts did with Luck and even then they've still got a lot of holes. It's not like the team ignored the safety position, they have tried while still trying to fix other problems with limited resources.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 09-01-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    6 Footers For Bogey Really Suck

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    12,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    Great posts Kick. This team had a ton of holes, starting with QB. They could not fill every one in 3-4 years unless they got blind lucky like the Colts did with Luck and even then they've still got a lot of holes. It's not like the team ignored the safety position, they have tried while still trying to fix other problems with limited resources.
    The problem with not fixing holes within 3-4 years in the NFL is players often don't last for more than 4 years, so you've got an entire new generation of holes to fix. It should never be that hard to find a legit safety and not waste time and resources on the Tannard Jacksons and Merriweathers of the NFL world. It means you end up starting a guy like Rambo - who you've already seen fail. They haven't fixed the O-line, but at least they have legit prospects that they're grooming. At safety, it looks like they've got nothing even on the horizon. The 2 aging vets are going to be older, and they're not even signed for next season. The 3-13 team has improved at WR and what else?
    I use stats like a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The Boondocks
    Posts
    38,494
    Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    That's what I'm saying though, there is an excuse: Salary cap (with the penalty), RGIII trade, other bigger holes to fill. We spent three 3rd round picks on OL since 2012. If we had spent those on safeties, we'd probably be all set. But we had to try to restock the OL to protect our QB, who just happened to cost us three 1st round picks. We spent a 4th and a 6th on safeties last year, it didn't work. But if one of those later picks shines like AlMo did, we'd be all set. We got lucky with AlMo, but not with Rambo. (I'm a freaken poet, LOL)

    So we're left trying to patch the holes at safety with spackle, duc(t) tape and bungy cords. Its not like the need at safety is a sudden development, but they've been trying to fix it on a tight budget with other priorities.

    Ultimately the NFL is always like that. Fill one hole while another springs open. Very few teams are strong at every unit and deep at every unit. For a 3-13 team, if safety is the biggest weakness we have right now, we should be able to work with that. The guy we just signed off the street started 13 games right up through the Super Bowl for Denver. So maybe we got lucky there.
    That excuse may be valid far as the salary cap issue. For everything else I'd opine that self infliction is more on point.

    I have hope that the new Gruden regime will not venture down some of the same paths as previous regimes have which has only compounded and continued the self infliction.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Irvine CA
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post
    The problem with not fixing holes within 3-4 years in the NFL is players often don't last for more than 4 years, so you've got an entire new generation of holes to fix. It should never be that hard to find a legit safety and not waste time and resources on the Tannard Jacksons and Merriweathers of the NFL world. It means you end up starting a guy like Rambo - who you've already seen fail. They haven't fixed the O-line, but at least they have legit prospects that they're grooming. At safety, it looks like they've got nothing even on the horizon. The 2 aging vets are going to be older, and they're not even signed for next season. The 3-13 team has improved at WR and what else?
    DE (Hatcher), OLB (Murphy), one could argue the OL is better but not by much, special teams for sure. Last year they added Jordan Reed who is a player, and Amerson to help at CB - both those guys are upgrades over who they replaced.

    To your point that it should not be that hard to find X or Y position, well, it is that hard. Again, not every team is strong at every position, nor deep at every unit. Every team has weak spots, we're no different. You draft players, you sign players, you hope they pan out, they don't all make it though. Amerson and Reed have panned out. Thomas and Rambo have not. Orakpo, Kerrigan and apparently Murphy all look like gamers. Moses, Long and Ribeye look more like projects. You take your shots, you prioritize, and you constantly patch holes.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Irvine CA
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    That excuse may be valid far as the salary cap issue. For everything else I'd opine that self infliction is more on point.

    I have hope that the new Gruden regime will not venture down some of the same paths as previous regimes have which has only compounded and continued the self infliction.
    Basically you're saying the Skins are responsible for the roster they have, which on face value is just about the most basic truth there is. Where they are strong, like OLB and WR, give them credit. Where they are weak, call it self inflicted if it helps you feel like you know better than them just what the holes are and what they should do about it.

    If we had spent the 2nd we used on Amerson for a safety, you'd be moaning about how Cornerback is a perpetual, self inflicted weak spot. If instead of Reed, we drafted a safety, people would complain that we're not giving RGIII enough help.

    They're weak at safety. One guy they counted on got hurt, one guy got suspended. Its not like they didn't bring in Clark to help and this new cat, Duke Nacho, who is a solid veteran, so its clear they see there is a weak spot there and they're doing what they can... they just don't have a trillion dollars and a high first round pick to go draft the next Sean Taylor. Safety is a lower priority than all the other holes that Shanny left us with. Simple as that.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The Boondocks
    Posts
    38,494
    Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    Basically you're saying the Skins are responsible for the roster they have, which on face value is just about the most basic truth there is. Where they are strong, like OLB and WR, give them credit. Where they are weak, call it self inflicted if it helps you feel like you know better than them just what the holes are and what they should do about it.
    No, I don't think I know better than them, whoever them are. I'm just a guy who was born in, is from, and still resides in the southlands of Cali. Who happens to be a Washington Redskins fan going on 42 years now. Talking with other guys from and/or living in various other parts of Cali, the rest of the country, and one guy from France giving us some international flavor. All of whom themselves are Washington Redskins fans. Doing so because the internet is a wonderful thing and has allowed us all to become connected and engage one another. And I'll say it one last time for emphasis. I do not know more than them, assuming "them" are the Washington Redskins coaching staff. That doesn't mean that I think every move they've made was the best more, a good move or probably better than anything else they could've done. And if we as fans were to all subscribe to the "they know better than us." mantra . We'd (all of us as fans) would be talking about how great the moves were the coaching staffs of our fave team made on these boards. Or much more likely these boards wouldn't even exist cuz there would be no need for them to be here or us for to discuss anything far as what our fave teams have done.

    As for the self-inflicted thing. Yes, when we break it down to its barest essence. All coaching staffs and/or front offices can pat themselves on the back or shot themselves in the head for the moves they made or didn't make. I wasn't talking about this current Skins staff, but because of the way the Skins have went about acquiring players since at least going back to Gibbs 2.0. Not only have the brain trusts at the time made problems for themselves with their method of player acquisition. After they left some of the problems they created for themselves rolled over into becoming problems for the incoming regime to deal with.

    If player acquisition in the NFL were a game of Russian Roulette. The Redskins would be the only player in the acquisition game. That willfully and habitually put more than one round in the cylinders of the chamber of a revovler, spin the chamber, locks the chamber back in place, raises the revolver to their head, cocks the hammer and pulls the trigger. That's what I meant by self-inflicted.
    Last edited by Breed; 09-04-2014 at 03:59 AM.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.