Betheard Told Mosley Not To Bother Showing Up Prior to '82 Season

So I'm flipping between the Eagles game and a Redskins show (something I never watch) and Mark Mosley told an interesting story. He said Beathard told him in the off season not to bother showing up, he was going to be replaced. BB drafted a kicker, Danny Miller, and he was also bringing in other kickers. Well turns out Miller blew kicks in the preseason including 2 in the last preseason game. They told Mosley not to dress for that last game as he wouldn't be playing. He did anyway, just didn't have his kicking shoe. Redskins are driving and Gibbs asked Mosley if he could go in. He has and equipment guy rush into the locker room, throws on his kicking shoe and kicks a 51 yard game winner.

So Mosley sticks but they still weren't convinced, Miller also made the roster. In the first game against the Eagles Mosley hits the game winner (or maybe it was to tie, I can't remember) and of course he goes on to be the league's MVP.
    6 Footers For Bogey Really Suck

Moseley was money - and as I recall one of the last of the straight leg kickers. Seems like everybody kicks from the side these days.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    Moseley was money - and as I recall one of the last of the straight leg kickers. Seems like everybody kicks from the side these days.
    True, true, and true. Without looking I can pretty much guarantee that as good as Mosley was for his time the kickers today are way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    True, true, and true. Without looking I can pretty much guarantee that as good as Mosley was for his time the kickers today are way better.
    Well, I would think they have better training methods from HS all the way up. I remember going to a HS game years ago and Mike Cofer was the kicker on the opposing team. He went on to NC State and later the 9ers. That kid could kick 50 yarders in high school. I'd never seen a HS kicker nearly that good. There's really only - what - 35 kicking jobs in the NFL? You gotta be good to get one.

I went to my high school game and the punter kicked the ball backwards over his head. True story. We had a lot of future accountants on my high school team.