cell phone coverage and prices...

Dad's iphone is hopelessly out of date and needs a new phone. Mom is using a flip phone and needs to get into a smart phone. Their contract is up and I need advice.

Sprint and T-Mobile are introducing cheaper contracts and they don't seem to be wanting a particular type of phone (Apple, Droid etc....).

What they need..basic smart phone stuff, dads phone needs a flash (so the phone can double as a flashlight). We are targeting Thanksgiving as a purchase date.

They both want nationwide coverage and are looking to get starter smart phones with all the basics.

They want to spend less than what they pay now.

I own Droid and their daughter runs apple.

So, what would you recommend for my parents?
    Last edited by vikesguy; 08-22-2014 at 03:11 AM.
    Herbert F. Kornfield Killed Off

Midstate Office Supply

\m/

"If I die before the Allman Brothers quit touring, I died knowing that I had one more kick ass show to go to."

- vikesguy

Sprint used to be great for me, now it sucks. Supposedly they are upgrading their towers for the past eight months, or at least that's the line of **** they've been feeding me. Customer service has been pretty cool, taking money off my bill like its alright, but it still don't make up for the annoyance of all the dropped calls. Find out how strong their service is in your area

Pay $349 for a Nexus 5-
    http://www.google.com/intl/all/nexus/5/

Get a SIM card and a prepaid plan from StraightTalk-
    http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/sims

Get him the annual "everything" plan for $495. He'll have nationwide coverage on the AT&T network, unlimited voice/data, and it will end up costing ~$70/month over the course of the year.

And he'll own the phone forever, no strings attached. In year 2 it will be ~$40-45 a month.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

You can get an iphone 5c from Wal-Mart for almost free...or so I read the other day. And I would select the best coverage for the area your parents live in and/or will be frequenting.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx