Thread: PS Game #3

PS Game #3

Gag. If that was a dress rehearsal I think the Steelers better delay opening night cause they ain't ready for primetime. Ben was horrible. Wheaton was on a different page and the defense couldn't stop anything. Uglier than a bag of snakes.

I figured this would be a good test for our "new, younger" defense. I didn't expect us to fail it so miserably.
    No pressure on the QB, no backside contain on runs (actually no contain on runs at all), poor coverage, and no push at all from the dline.

Even with all the flack flying around about all the penalties this preseason, that game took the cake for egregious flagging. It was hard to watch. There was literally a flag on almost every play. The ticky tack PI calls were horrendous. I don't know what they expect from DBs anymore. You can't touch the WR, even if they run into you. The NFL has a serious problem on its hands. This is what you get when you try and fix something that isn't broke.

Pluses: Bryant caught a TD and DHB looked good - I actually hope he makes the team now. For all the hype J. Brown got during TC he has been invisible during the PS games. Oh, one other plus - didn't have to watch L. Jones try and play QB tonight.

Here's hoping Spence and Worilds aren't hurt bad. This defense can't afford to lose any quality players.
    Last edited by Muddler; 08-22-2014 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    Gag. If that was a dress rehearsal I think the Steelers better delay opening night cause they ain't ready for primetime. Ben was horrible. Wheaton was on a different page and the defense couldn't stop anything. Uglier than a bag of snakes.

I figured this would be a good test for our "new, younger" defense. I didn't expect us to fail it so miserably.
    No pressure on the QB, no backside contain on runs (actually no contain on runs at all), poor coverage, and no push at all from the dline.

Even with all the flack flying around about all the penalties this preseason, that game took the cake for egregious flagging. It was hard to watch. There was literally a flag on almost every play. The ticky tack PI calls were horrendous. I don't know what they expect from DBs anymore. You can't touch the WR, even if they run into you. The NFL has a serious problem on its hands. This is what you get when you try and fix something that isn't broke.

Pluses: Bryant caught a TD and DHB looked good - I actually hope he makes the team now. For all the hype J. Brown got during TC he has been invisible during the PS games. Oh, one other plus - didn't have to watch L. Jones try and play QB tonight.

Here's hoping Spence and Worilds aren't hurt bad. This defense can't afford to lose any quality players.
    If tonight's any indication, I don't think we have to worry about losing any quality players on defense unless his name is Timmons. Out coached, out played, maybe one of the most inept pre season performances I can remember. Hate to press the panic button but for a third preseason game they are totally unprepared to stop anyone. They haven't been able to stop the run yet. Mark Sanchez and the second string Eagle offense moved through the first team offense effortlessly. I understand that Lebeau plays very conservative in preseason and that's not the way you approach Kelly's offense but I also watched guys like McClendon, J. Jones and others getting pushed around "again." Really depressing for a game that doesn't count. Can't wait to hear Tomlin's BS press conference.

Wow...That was bad....That was real bad!
    I wouldn't even know where to start.
    Horrible defense that (as mentioned) couldn't even stop the Eagles second team.
    Ben looked real bad, and his receivers (except for AB) looked worse.
    Some might think I'm nuts, but I think Wheaton should be replaced by DHB.
    Wheaton has yet to show me anything.
    I was getting somewhat optimistic, but that has now turned into real concern.

As for the officials...Words can't describe.
    They are turning the whole thing into a mockery (if they hadn't already).
    It's plain and simple...It gives the NFL game control AND more points.
    That's all they care about.
    All paying fans should be appalled.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

I honestly can't even comment on that, whatever it was. Like the commercials I have a professional memory, that never happened.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Jarvis Jones is going to be a bust. I said it when he was drafted, and it's looking more apparent as time passes. Players with his size/speed ratio rarely make it as pass rushers in the NFL.

Last night also illustrated my issues with the Shazier pick. 3-4 ILBs are supposed to complement each other, not mirror each other. They now have two ILBs with range, but who are too frequently made into b1tches at the point of attack.

That wouldn't be as much of an issue if they had legit power 2 gap studs up front, but they have finesse guys like Heyward and McClendon, who can make some plays, but too often can be handled one-on-one.

Based on their performance last season, and the fact they were also pushed around a bit by the Bills' last week, I'm worried about the defense.

The offense was equally bad, but that was largely a product of Roethlisberger having an off night, obviously something we do not really need to concern ourselves with going forward.

However, regarding that, it seemed apparent the Steelers wanted to emphasize getting Wheaton more involved in the game with it being the rehearsal exhibition, and Roethlisberger, who can be far from a mental giant at times, took it literally, forcing the ball to Wheaton play after play, killing their ability to establish any rhythm early.
    Last edited by Diamondeye; 08-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.

I was able to watch about the first 5 minutes of the 3rd qtr. It looked like the same old same old. Glad I missed the first 2 qtrs.
    Nappy time.

First, I'm not sure why Wheaton is taking heat? Warner kept saying they weren't on the same page, but #7's throws were terrible. How do you miss Archer that badly and turn it into a pick? I've been harping and harping that we were burying our heads in the sand about the lack of run defense, and there we go. I will choose to go with "they weren't scheming" angle and that you don't get overly down about a loss, or overly excited about a win in the preseason. I am now done talking about this game and will forget it happened.

Now I have to apologize to Biff, or someone else possibly, but I remember him complaining about the refs the most. I generally save saying I was "troubled" about things like Ferguson or Iraq, but that was f@#$ing troubling last night. What exactly does it serve to call the preseason games like this? There is no way in hell they will call the regular season like this. If they do, THEY WILL LOSE FANS. This isn't a sky is falling like some of my friends have said on FB, this is a legitimate concern and I can't believe I'm saying this about goddam football?!?! From the PP&G:

Officials are using the preseason games to enforce the rules regarding offensive pass interference and illegal defensive contact downfield, and the result is a disturbing rash of penalties.

A total of 27 penalties for 202 yards were enforced against both teams -- 14 penalties for 104 yards in the second half alone. That is more than the number of penalties in each of the first two preseason games. Fifteen penalties for 143 yards were enforced in the game against the New York Giants and 18 penalties for 141 yards were enforced in the game against the Buffalo Bills.

I think most people think that the flags will slow down after pre-season.
    I'm doubting it because of the fan base and power of the NFL.
    They now even plan on making the act at halftime pay to play at the Super Bowl.
    Goodell and company have such extreme clout that it's getting scarier and scarier.
    At some point it will bite them in the rear end....But who knows how long it might take.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

I think it's obvious that if Ben doesn't play well, the Steelers are in trouble. We can also likely expect some mistakes from the front 7. They are very young. There is a reason the Dick LeBeau's and John Mitchell's of the world don't historically play young guys. Hopefully the offense can be good enough to carry the team the first half of the season with some splash plays by the D to offset the poor plays and then by December they are really gelling....

Steelers didn't look good. But for perspective, last year the Pats lost to the Lions in the 3rd preseason game- 40-9.

You guys are on point, but I had one other thought. I thought with Timmons/Shazier, we'd be better at defending the screen pass......but they gashed us all day with them.

As a team we seem to be "screen-averse". Can't run them, can't defend against them.