Observations from Preseason Game #2

Overall it was not a very good game to watch for either side. way too many penalties.

1. Foles looked really good, his throws were on the money. First pass that Momah fumbled was gunned in there should have been caught. Pretty pass to Ertz in the end zone.

2. Allen Barbre sucks, he got beat line a drum all game

3. Benn might make this team just because of his special teams play not just the block he was in on a lot of tackles

4. Marcus Smith needs to learn some pass rush moves, his coverage is really good but no pass rush skills at all

5. Vinny Curry needs to start over Fletcher Cox

6. We need depth at cornerback, both Carmichael and Marsh shouldn't even be on any roster this time of the year they can't play at all

7. Boykin is a much better slot corner than outside

8. Sanchez looked good again and I didn't think Barkley looked that bad, the INT was on Johnson for dropping the damn ball

9. The Eagles just keep finding RB Josey looked damn good

10. What was up with Chip Kotite running Johnson into the middle of the line 4 times at the goal line? I know he wouldn't do that in a real game but why do it there?

11. Mathews looked a heck of a lot better than last week. You can see just how many weapons this team has, Mathews, Ertz, Shady, Celek, Cooper, Maclin and Sproles. Add in a sprinkle of Casey and a touch of Huff and this team should be just fine at the skill positions

I agree with some of your points--I think they may have to try Herremans at tackle. But I am less confident that we are OK at the receiver position.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    I agree with some of your points--I think they may have to try Herremans at tackle. But I am less confident that we are OK at the receiver position.
    Agree. We need to add another solid WR. None of these guys are gamebreakers. Maybe chip doesn't need one of those, but just wants to matriculate the ball down the field. I would be OK with trading Cox for andre Johnson, who is solid and can play at a high level for 3-4 more years. I think he's worn out his welcome in Houston with O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    10. What was up with Chip Kotite running Johnson into the middle of the line 4 times at the goal line? I know he wouldn't do that in a real game but why do it there?

You know, that one really erked me a bit as well. I would have been hop'n mad if Chip did that in a game. I am giving him the benefit and figuring he was just giving the OL the practice and seeing what they can/can't do. But it was obvious the RB was hitting a brick wall EVERY TIME. The OL made no holes at all. That needed to be taken outside and stretched if sticking with the run. There was nothing there and there wasn't going to be if they did it 4 more times. Even shady couldn't have gotten thru that. That was on the coaches imho - but I'm going under the guise he was just giving the OL practice.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    Agree. We need to add another solid WR. None of these guys are gamebreakers. Maybe chip doesn't need one of those, but just wants to matriculate the ball down the field. I would be OK with trading Cox for andre Johnson, who is solid and can play at a high level for 3-4 more years. I think he's worn out his welcome in Houston with O'Brien.
    I said that a LONG time ago. As soon as Andre Johnson began making waves - we should have made overtures about wanting him - so that he would see he has another option and could have made his situation even worse there and so he wouldn't settle back in. And if we were going to cut Djac, that made losing Avant that much more of a problem. We really shot ourselves in the foot at WR. I'm sure Chip is counting on using 2 TE's, Sproles and Maclin s the addition to scheme around talent. I hope he learns fast that in the NFL it takes "BOTH" to get a championship. Had enough of reid thinking scheme mattered more than talent. Nothing dumber in the world than creating the #1 most pass happy offense, and then starting the 32nd placed set of starting Wr's! Funny how a skilled player made such a difference in 2004. Chip is clearly not that dense - but there are signs of it and it wouldn't be a stretch with him coming from college with him use to personnel constantly leaving.

As far as running Johnson over and over, I think he has some fringe RBs that could have added more beef there. I hope he just wanted to see how much push his OL could give, and it wasn't anything at all. He did the same thing last year, and this line is not devastating, to say the least. They are much better pass blocking.