Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 84 of 84
  1. #76
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    Post #39 you lazy bum.
    Yes, we know what the original article was about. What does that have to do with anything else you've said in this thread? What does that have to do with the point that racism isn't a valid reason that no hip hop act has reached billionaire status, given that other black people have reached the billionaire club, while others are getting close. Or that guys like Buffett and Gates are helping black men reach that goal? Given all of that, in what way is racism a valid excuse? What evidence is there, at all, that racism has held any hip hop artist back to the level of "only" $500 million or so? Or are you suggesting that blacks in other industries don't suffer the same racism as black hip hop artists do?

    Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    You seem very upset almost as if you're looking for a race-based fight specifically from me in this thread and the Ferguson/McD's taser thread. If that's the case, you'll be disappointed.
    I seem upset? Didn't someone already call you out for being so angry in this thread?

    I'm not looking for any type of fight. You've just posted a few things without much in the way of support (to put it kindly). I mean, seriously, hip hop artists worth hundreds of millions of dollars, largely from selling their music to whites, are suffering from racism because they aren't worth a billion?? That's seriously the race card to end all race cards.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Indoctrination Station
    Posts
    34,135
    Quote Originally Posted by All Hype View Post
    Yes, we know what the original article was about. What does that have to do with anything else you've said in this thread?
    Everything; that's pretty much been the extent of my commenting in the thread. But you said you read the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by All Hype View Post
    What does that have to do with the point that racism isn't a valid reason that no hip hop act has reached billionaire status, given that other black people have reached the billionaire club, while others are getting close. Or that guys like Buffett and Gates are helping black men reach that goal? Given all of that, in what way is racism a valid excuse? What evidence is there, at all, that racism has held any hip hop artist back to the level of "only" $500 million or so? Or are you suggesting that blacks in other industries don't suffer the same racism as black hip hop artists do?
    And here, I thought you told me you read the thread. I haven't suggested anything about other industries. The OP was about hip hop artists and their industry.

    Quote Originally Posted by All Hype View Post
    I seem upset? Didn't someone already call you out for being so angry in this thread?
    Yes, two weeks ago. And then i said this, which you already know because you read through the thread. The rest you brought up, venturing into another topic i've not discussed nor argued. It was not germane to the topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by All Hype View Post
    I'm not looking for any type of fight. You've just posted a few things without much in the way of support (to put it kindly). I mean, seriously, hip hop artists worth hundreds of millions of dollars, largely from selling their music to whites, are suffering from racism because they aren't worth a billion?? That's seriously the race card to end all race cards.
    I. didnt. say. that. either. I am curious as to what else is lacking in support. That was the reason i posted the article.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

  3. #78
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    I hear you.

    And I'm compelled to point out that Ursula Burns, Chairman of the Board at Xerox, is on Exxon's board. And American Express', to boot. She's joined on Exxon's board by the equally black Kenneth Frazier, Chairman of the Board at Merck. And sure, a bunch of white guys with the same haircut. Point being, if Burns and Frazier encountered racial flak while pursuing the careers they'd studied and worked for, I'd have a huge problem with that. If Kanye West isn't getting a lot of offers to spin a corporate gig out of his music career, I'm likelier to call that a choice than an encounter with racism.
    Ken Chenault is the Chairman of the Board and CEO of American Express
    Ralph Cleveland is Global Head of Customer Relations at AIG
    Lisa Caldwell is Executive Vice President at Reynolds American
    Don Thompson is President and Chief Executive Officer at McDonald’s
    Antoinette Bush is EVP at Newscorp
    Rosalind Brewer is CEO of Sam's Club
    Julia Brown is Chief Procurement Officer at Kraft Foods
    Arnold Donald is CEO of Carnival Corp
    Thasunda Duckett is CEO of Chase Auto Finance at JPMorgan Chase
    Marvin Ellison is Executive Vice President of U.S. Stores at The Home Depot
    Roger W. Ferguson, Jr. is President and CEO at TIAA-CREF
    Carla Harris is the Vice Chairman at Morgan Stanley
    Michael Jones is the Chief Merchandising Officer at Lowe’s
    Gale King is the Chief Administrative Officer at Nationwide
    Jonathan Mariner is Executive Vice President and CFO at Major League Baseball
    Lawrence McRae Executive Vice President, Strategy and Corporate Development at Corning Inc
    Derica Rice is EVP, Global Services, and Chief Financial Officer at Eli Lilly and Company
    Dmitri Stockton is President and CEO at GE Asset Management
    Perry Stuckey is Chief Human Resources Officer at Eastman Chemical Company
    Blair Taylor is Chief Community Officer & EVP, Global Partner Resources at Starbucks Corp
    Bernard Tyson is Chairman and CEO at Kaiser Permanente
    John Utendahl is Vice Chairman at Deutsche Bank Americas
    Robin Washington is EVP and Chief Financial Officer at Gilead Sciences, Inc
    James White is Chairman, President and CEO at Jamba Juice

    All of the above are black. Not to mention the guy sitting in the white house.

    But clearly, racism is keeping Kanye West down.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    Everything; that's pretty much been the extent of my commenting in the thread. But you said you read the thread.


    And here, I thought you told me you read the thread. I haven't suggested anything about other industries. The OP was about hip hop artists and their industry.
    I'm baffled as to what your point is. You post an article that outlines why hip hop artists aren't billionaires. One of the reasons is racism, to which several posters, including myself object. Others, and I, present reasons why we object, including the fact that other black business people and athletes, etc. are billionaires. We use that fact to show that it is highly unlikely that racism plays any part whatsoever in hip hop artists failing to reach billionaire status. You invalidate that argument because those people are not hip hop artists. So is your point that whites aren't being racist towards Oprah, or Michael Jordan, or Tiger or Lebron, but ARE being racist towards hip hop artists? What exactly is your point?

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Indoctrination Station
    Posts
    34,135
    Quote Originally Posted by All Hype View Post
    I'm baffled as to what your point is. You post an article that outlines why hip hop artists aren't billionaires. One of the reasons is racism, to which several posters, including myself object. Others, and I, present reasons why we object, including the fact that other black business people and athletes, etc. are billionaires. We use that fact to show that it is highly unlikely that racism plays any part whatsoever in hip hop artists failing to reach billionaire status. You invalidate that argument because those people are not hip hop artists. So is your point that whites aren't being racist towards Oprah, or Michael Jordan, or Tiger or Lebron, but ARE being racist towards hip hop artists? What exactly is your point?
    My point is that there were 7 cited reasons. You (and others) focusing on 1 of them which you disagree with. That's fine. How did you feel about the other 6? That's my point.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

  6. #81
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    My point is that there were 7 cited reasons. You (and others) focusing on 1 of them which you disagree with. That's fine. How did you feel about the other 6? That's my point.
    Overall, I agree with several other posters that the article, and the 6 other reasons, came across a bit as a build up to reason #1 - Racism.

    That aside, I think the overall premise of the article is a bit silly. Hip hop artists aren't billionaires because it's almost impossible to become a billionaire in the music business, not because they spend their money or invest in bbq restaurants, or suffer from any perceived racism. The sheer math of becoming a billionaire is just tough, and that applies to rock stars, country stars or hip hop stars.
    Last edited by All Hype; 08-26-2014 at 04:33 AM.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI
    Posts
    5,617
    I bowed out of this thread as a lost cause a long time ago, but I did find it interesting that Micheal Jordan finally became a Billionaire. 8 I remember correctly he was well on his way towards being the first athlete billionaire, then he got divorced and Tiger beat him. Then Tiger got divorced and fell back below a billion... for a while?

    Which is kinda funny because both of them made the majority of their money from Nike. And if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read the article) part of the racism argument was that Nike wouldn't give Kanye a cut of the sales, just a small fee to design a pair of shoes. While Nike has definitely shown in the case of Jordan and Tiger that they are more than willing to give a HUGE percentage of sales, not just a small fee for a one time thing. The difference is Tiger and Jordan both made sense from a business standpoint. Either could have gotten a percentage deal from some other company and cut into Nike profits if they didn't. Apparently Kanye wasn't "destined" to be a billionaire clothing/shoe designer because nobody else gave him a deal that took money away from Nike.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    I bowed out of this thread as a lost cause a long time ago, but I did find it interesting that Micheal Jordan finally became a Billionaire. 8 I remember correctly he was well on his way towards being the first athlete billionaire, then he got divorced and Tiger beat him. Then Tiger got divorced and fell back below a billion... for a while?

    Which is kinda funny because both of them made the majority of their money from Nike. And if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read the article) part of the racism argument was that Nike wouldn't give Kanye a cut of the sales, just a small fee to design a pair of shoes. While Nike has definitely shown in the case of Jordan and Tiger that they are more than willing to give a HUGE percentage of sales, not just a small fee for a one time thing. The difference is Tiger and Jordan both made sense from a business standpoint. Either could have gotten a percentage deal from some other company and cut into Nike profits if they didn't. Apparently Kanye wasn't "destined" to be a billionaire clothing/shoe designer because nobody else gave him a deal that took money away from Nike.
    Absolutely. Kids want to be like Michael or Tiger, so they are willing to pay big bucks for their shoes/gear. If those same kids wanted to wear Kanye's shoes you can be damn certain Nike would be giving Kanye the same deal they gave Tiger or Michael. But the kids don't want to buy them, so there must be some perceived racism to explain why. It can't just be that nobody wants to buy a Kanye West sneaker.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Indoctrination Station
    Posts
    34,135
    Quote Originally Posted by All Hype View Post
    Overall, I agree with several other posters that the article, and the 6 other reasons, came across a bit as a build up to reason #1 - Racism.

    That aside, I think the overall premise of the article is a bit silly. Hip hop artists aren't billionaires because it's almost impossible to become a billionaire in the music business, not because they spend their money or invest in bbq restaurants, or suffer from any perceived racism. The sheer math of becoming a billionaire is just tough, and that applies to rock stars, country stars or hip hop stars.
    ok.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.