Thread: PS Game #1

PS Game #1

Watched it last night - mostly to see how the young guys I've been reading about for months looked. Since it was the NYG feed it was kinda hard to follow the Steelers substitutions as the commentators (Carl Banks is horrible) pretty much only updated the GMen lineups. It got tiresome looking at the LONG roster list every time you wanted to match a number to a name so I gave it up. Some observations - pretty much what most of the websites are saying but FWIW:

Starting O looked pretty good for their one drive except of course when it totally bogged down near the goal line - a fade to our smallest WR on third down? Bell and Blount ran strong. While I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time, can't deny that Archer brings needed quickness. We've had too many plodding RBs lately. Nice to have a guy that can run past people on the team. No question in my mind he will break some long TDs this year.

Unfortunately, that first couple minutes was pretty much it for offensive production. Neither Gradkowski or Jones looked particularly sharp though in their defense they didn't get much protection. Wheaton looked fast. Justin Brown played a lot and made some plays. Bryant looked like a rookie. Moye played mostly in the fourth quarter. None of the backup RBs impressed me much though again the line did them no favors.

Defense held up pretty well, other than the long TD run. Especially since it was the GMen's second PS game. We've got a good physical group of safeties. Might be some hard cuts there. #39 (Isaiah Green?) was picked on quite a bit during the game winning drive. He generally had tight coverage but was just too small to knock down the passes. Spence was all over the field. If there were any lingering effects from his injury, I couldn't see them. ILB may be our deepest position on the team. What a turn around from last year.

STs were generally mediocre except for the one TO. Punting was inconsistent (disappointing as I was hoping Wing would do better). Don't think Bryant has a future as a punt returner. Got some guys in coverage that should work out well. Howard Jones obviously stood out as noted on most boards.

It was great to get together with the guys, drink some beer, BBQ some brats and watch some Steeler Football!

First off totally agree with coverage, he was extremely annoying, turned sound down so I could pay attention more to the play.

The first drive with first unit was very good, OL looked good, though Fosters missed one block horribly, but overall run game was good, everyone looked comfortable, poor throw to end zone by Ben on TD try but then 1st preseason game. Being it was Giants second game they played their 1st team much longer and really did little against our 2nd team. They had the one big TD, blown assignments but will take solace in the fact McLendon, Shazier and Polamalu where not in the game.

Offensively: Very ineffective as said after starters were gone and basically Bell,Blount,Archer/A.Brown/Moore were done. None of the backs vying for the 4 RB did anything to warrant keeping them, though they were running behind a poor OL at times. Poole played well on STs which might have him in the front if they keep 4. TE's didn't impress me at all either. I did like the play of Wheaton, J. Brown and Moye was playing hard even though he missed a couple he could have had. Bryant has ability but he has a long ways to go, looked lost at times. Wallace looked good a backup OL, after that a mix of mediocrity but only first game. Adams as they said played alot, but that is not so much a good thing. It could very well be they are seriously evaluating whether to keep him but that might depend more on whether anyone else can step up to be 1st backup at T. He looked poor in pass protection again. The little I saw of Elkins I liked, he should minimum make PS and be given a year to develop, he is a sound OL. I'm saving judgement on where offense is till next couple preseason games when 1st team plays a little more, but for now looks promising.

Defense: Disappointed not getting to see Shazier, will have to wait a week, hopefully no more than that. J. Jones looked alot more active and quicker (probably due to comfort in knowledge of defense, blew through for a sack at one point). Tuitt has some polishing up to do but this guy is going to be a star for us. Thomas was good/bad, he looked good on some plays and blew a couple others, though was jumping across DL with McLendon out. Heyward was constantly double teamed with alot of new/young guys in, not worried about him at all. Oddly Mauro played earlier than all the other young DEs not name Tuitt. He and Arnfelt looked ok but nothing to write home about. Fanguapo was average. Saw some of McCullers, he didn't get in the backfields as much as I hoped though he did drive the OL straight back into the QB twice which looked good and at the goaline he basically moved three OL to one side leaving the LBs/DBs to nail RB in the hole. To me he could really be interesting in 2nd half when OL is tiring and you bring him in to push them around this year till he starts understanding the defense better. Moats made some nice plays, Spence looked good. You could see Carter go all out on a couple plays, he really has to prove himself. I liked H. Jones playmaking in the game both on defense and STs. CB, Allen/Ike were fine, didn't notice Gay at all really. Saw a couple decent plays by Blake but also a couple blown plays. Green was horrible, even against their 3rd teams, saw little of McCain. Safeties played well enough. I like the hitting and closing of Dangerfield will have to watch his coverage skills a little closer next game.

STs, not much to see. Coverage was good, they can remove Bryant from return team, doesn't react quick enough for now. Wing was absolutely horrible, Podlesh may win job
    without even being there. Wing better show huge improvement next game.
    Last edited by BIG STEEL; 08-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Quote Originally Posted by BIG STEEL View Post
    First off totally agree with coverage, he was extremely annoying, turned sound down so I could pay attention more to the play.

The first drive with first unit was very good, OL looked good, though Fosters missed one block horribly, but overall run game was good, everyone looked comfortable, poor throw to end zone by Ben on TD try but then 1st preseason game. Being it was Giants second game they played their 1st team much longer and really did little against our 2nd team. They had the one big TD, blown assignments but will take solace in the fact McLendon, Shazier and Polamalu where not in the game.

Offensively: Very ineffective as said after starters were gone and basically Bell,Blount,Archer/A.Brown/Moore were done. None of the backs vying for the 4 RB did anything to warrant keeping them, though they were running be a poor OL at times. Poole played well on STs which might have him in the front if they keep 4. TE's didn't impress me at all either. I did like the play of Wheaton, J. Brown and Moye was playing hard even though he missed a couple he could have had. Bryant has ability but he has a long ways to go, looked lost at times. Wallace looked good a backup OL, after that a mix of mediocrity but only first game. Adams as they said played alot, but that is not so much a good thing. It could very well be they are seriously evaluating whether to keep him but that might depend more on whether anyone else can step up to be 1st backup at T. He looked poor in pass protection again. The little I saw of Elkins I liked, he should minimum make PS and be given a year to develop, he is a sound OL. I'm saving judgement on where offense is till next couple preseason games when 1st team plays a little more, but for now looks promising.

Defense: Disappointed not getting to see Shazier, will have to wait a week, hopefully no more than that. J. Jones looked alot more active and quicker (probably due to comfort in knowledge of defense, blew through for a sack at one point). Tuitt has some polishing up to do but this guy is going to be a star for us. Thomas was good/bad, he looked good on some plays and blew a couple others, though was jumping across DL with McLendon out. Heyward was constantly double teamed with alot of new/young guys in, not worried about him at all. Oddly Mauro played earlier than all the other young DEs not name Tuitt. He and Arnfelt looked ok but nothing to write home about. Fanguapo was average. Saw some of McCullers, he didn't get in the backfields as much as I hoped though he did drive the OL straight back into the QB twice which looked good and at the goaline he basically moved three OL to one side leaving the LBs/DBs to nail RB in the hole. To me he could really be interesting in 2nd half when OL is tiring and you bring him in to push them around this year till he starts understanding the defense better. Moats made some nice plays, Spence looked good. You could see Carter go all out on a couple plays, he really has to prove himself. I liked H. Jones playmaking in the game both on defense and STs. CB, Allen/Ike were fine, didn't notice Gay at all really. Saw a couple decent plays by Blake but also a couple blown plays. Green was horrible, even against their 3rd teams, saw little of McCain. Safeties played well enough. I like the hitting and closing of Dangerfield will have to watch his coverage skills a little closer next game.

STs, not much to see. Coverage was good, they can remove Bryant from return team, doesn't react quick enough for now. Wing was absolutely horrible, Podlesh may win job
    without even being there. Wing better show huge improvement next game.
    Great post. Like your idea about McCullers. Not sure he makes the team, but doubt Fanguapo is much of a difference maker.

I really liked the play of Tuitt.

Good article: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/11/nfl-pi...-team-preview/

Pretty much everything was covered and I'm not concerned with the team bogging down in the red zone, Bell wasn't in and I doubt they really cared either. Heck, it was kind of an unusual situation anyway with Archer's run.

Archer is the only guy I want to talk about as the pick was generally killed on this site. Has anyone changed their mind after one game, basically one play? I was thrilled to see the play call and it would've gone over 50 if he hadn't been excited and tried to cut it inside. I remember when he was drafted, I cited a play where ARE ran on this weird angle in a preseason game with the Jets. Than Archer basically runs on a sideways angle to really break the play. I am truly excited about this kid. As excited as I am after one fake game, I will want to see many more punt return attempts before saying he isn't cut out for it.

The long run sucked, was really cool to see Spence play.

I saw a lot of potential bright spots…Tuitt, Spence, Archer, Mitchell.
    However…I was very disturbed about the long run (shades of last year) AND the fact that they lost.
    The Steelers have not won a pre-season game since 8/30/12, and I got the feeling Tomlin wanted this one, but didn't get it.
    It might sound crazy, but I firmly believe this team needs to win a game or (preferably) two in the pre-season.
    I think this is a better team than last year, but they need to get a couple of wins under their belt to gather some confidence on a squad that has a lot of new faces.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

Quote Originally Posted by AZSTEELER View Post

Archer is the only guy I want to talk about as the pick was generally killed on this site. Has anyone changed their mind after one game, basically one play?
    As one of those that disagreed with the pick at the time, my rationale was: With so many needs on defense (notably at CB) why use such a high pick on a "gadget type" offensive player, especially after failing on similar players (Logan and Rainey) in the past? I love having a guy with that type of speed on offense, have "come around" on the Dri pick and, though most of us guessed we'd be taking a corner in round 1, now realize that the Steelers do not value the CB position in the draft.

However, we still have needs at CB and waiting in the draft to address them has not worked so well for us. Hawthorne was a total bust last year and of all the rookie draftees Shaq Richardson is the guy that I have heard the least positive buzz around. Still, this is looking like a great draft by the team with lots of guys seriously threatening to make the team: Shazier, Tuitt, Archer are obviously in and McCullers, Zumwalt, HoJo and the Olineman whose name escapes me (oldtimers syndrome) have odds in their favor as well after strong camps. We even had a late Blanchflower sighting against the Gmen. Hoping to see more of him in the future.

One thing is for sure, to make the best use of Archer's speed, we need to improve our punt blocking unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddler
    we need to improve our punt blocking unit.
    I can't remember the last time special teams coverage, either kick or return, did not need to be addressed at some level. Its not as bad as it had been but it seems they are perfectly happy with mediocrity.
    Nappy time.

I'll eat some crow on Archer. I was cool with him weirdly if he and Bryant switched places in the draft. I don't know why, ultimately the only goal is to get good players. My concerns with him were him breaking down due to his size and knowing that so many kickoffs go out of the endzone now. He could return a couple during the colder weather months, though. Ultimately, go Dri Archer, go! Make some splash plays, man.

P.S. Not sure where to post this, but.........Are the Steelers really smart to not heavily invest in CB because of the ridiculous interference rules? One could argue only a handful of CBs can be meaningful if you can't even breathe on the WR's.

Interesting question Bobble, and I didn't think of it that way. I think the Steelers are going to more of a smaller LB and bigger corner/safety model, like Casteel's 3-3-5 I've mentioned before. Apparently New Orleans is coming out with some radical defense and it simply has to be less traditional LBs and more hybrid faster CB/S guys. I think I also mentioned before that Golden was a CB at Arizona and ended up at S, that's the kind of player I'm talking about. I think we're in, or on the verge, of a defensive revolution that is needed to combat all the throwing.

Interesting question Bobble, and I didn't think of it that way. I think the Steelers are going to more of a smaller LB and bigger corner/safety model, like Casteel's 3-3-5 I've mentioned before. Apparently New Orleans is coming out with some radical defense and it simply has to be less traditional LBs and more hybrid faster CB/S guys. I think I also mentioned before that Golden was a CB at Arizona and ended up at S, that's the kind of player I'm talking about. I think we're in, or on the verge, of a defensive revolution that is needed to combat all the throwing.
    I know Casteel well. He is a good man.

One thing this will change, is the team would likely get less sacks. The 3-3-5 does fit in with LeBeau's usual bend-don't break---the other team will make mistakes, capitalize on them credo, though.

Archer is the only guy I want to talk about as the pick was generally killed on this site. Has anyone changed their mind after one game, basically one play?
    I haven't. I expected him to make big plays. I needs to stay healthy and make enough of them to be a difference maker to justify using the pick on him over more pressing needs though. It's a promising start.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Η ζωή ενός σκλάβου είναι όλοι καταλαβαίνετε, δεν ξέρεις τίποτα από την ελευθερία. Γιατί αν το κάνατε, θα μας ενθάρρυνε να πολεμήσουν, όχι μόνο με το δόρυ μας, αλλά και με ό, τι έχουμε.

I haven't. I expected him to make big plays. I needs to stay healthy and make enough of them to be a difference maker to justify using the pick on him over more pressing needs though. It's a promising start.
    Basically same.

Didn't think he couldn't make plays in the NFL. He's a good football player. I feared he'd break with extended use. I still fear it. I hope I am wrong.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast