Some Thoughts after our first look at the 2014 Bears...

1. Zach Miller is going to be 30 when this season ends and he hasn't played in a regular season NFL game in over 2 1/2 years. His injury history is alarming; it includes knees, shoulders, concussions...I'm not going to get too attached to this six year veteran.

2. I was holding out at about 40% hope that Shea would NOT turn into a bust. I'd say after this game of watching him as a LB, that hope has been cut in half...ie, I think there is an 80% chance that Shea will, when all is said and done, be a total bust.

3. Am I drinking cool aid or do the Bears seem stacked with enticing young CBs. Fuller, of course, looks like Emerey's first decent defensive pick. But I like McMannis, Hurst, CJ Wilson and am very intrigued by the 6'2", 20 year old Al Louis Jean (ALJ.) The kid was a 5 star recruit coming out of prep but things went all haywire at BC where he was a freshman starter. If he has matured (now that he's all of 20 years old) and can take to some veteran leadership and professional coaching, we could be on to something here....

4. Is Kaseem Greene going to end up being better than Bostic?

5. Is Willie Young going to be better than Jared Allan this year?

6. Can we just call Mundy our starting SS now? And can we end the Adrian Wilson experiment and let Vereen, Mccray and Conte fight it out for the FS job?

7. I'm really pulling for Jordan Lynch! (But it seems obvious to me that Kadeem is the best back up for Forte.)

8. Chris Williams didn't appear to be limping after he scored that TD so although there may be a tweak of the hammy, it was pretty clear that it wasn't a major tear. So fingers crossed....

9. This roster has 45 new players on it including a new long snapper, new holders, new punters.... should we really be that surprised that special teams units are still are still such an obvious work in progress after one pre-season game?

10. Should we be worried about Kyle Long's health? What about Jordan Mill's foot?-- the same one he had off season surgery on? The right side of our OL was looking highly dubious throughout the game. I can live without Mills but Long is critical for this offense, imho.
    Last edited by The Kaiser; 08-09-2014 at 03:26 PM.

On special teams, the techniques are so simple that mistakes seem to be extra egregious.

On KO's, stay in your lane, break down, and for gods sakes, don't arm tackle.
    On FG's, pinch in and sucker punch anyone jumping in front of you trying to block the kick ;)
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

- I know it was just a few series, but Ratliff looked like he has his burst back and was destroying in the middle. Would be huge to get an entire season out of him if he's 100%.

- I agree with you on Shea. Not that last night's game changed my opinion, I just don't see him making it happen. He's only starting because of where he was picked and we seem hellbent on getting a return on that investment. Even when he was still in there with both team's 2's and 3's he was just another guy out there. Wish we would've traded him for a 4th or 5th during the draft and just draft another LB.

- Clausen definitely put Palmer on notice, if not passing him up all together.Seemed to have better control and looked more comfortable out there despite his limited time with the team. I imagine we'll see Pickles taking snaps with the 2's next game.

I am still where I was with Shea, 50/50 on him making it as an LB. I think that the Eagle’s offense is a really tough one to go against in your first live NFL action at a new position. They don’t leave a lot of time to read things before the snap, spread the field out more than most teams, and are generally unconventional. I want to see what he does in the next game before I write him off. I didn’t think that Bostic looked very good either, and that’s a little more of a concern to me.

Quote Originally Posted by anhur View Post
    I am still where I was with Shea, 50/50 on him making it as an LB. I think that the Eagle’s offense is a really tough one to go against in your first live NFL action at a new position. They don’t leave a lot of time to read things before the snap, spread the field out more than most teams, and are generally unconventional. I want to see what he does in the next game before I write him off. I didn’t think that Bostic looked very good either, and that’s a little more of a concern to me.

The bolded part concerns me as well. I've pretty much written off getting anything positive from McLovin, but Bostic still looked lost in pass D. Hopefully things look better in the next 3 games. Greene looked different to me, but JB looked like it was his rookie season again.
    A man like Emery doesn't need a search firm. He is the search firm. - Jon Greenberg.

Some observations I made:

1. Jonathan Bostic is terrible in pass coverage and has trouble shedding blocks.
    The middle of the field was wide open, a far cry from when we had #54 roaming the middle.
    Bostic seemed to be tied up in a block during every running play.

2. Eric Weems should not be our #3 WR, Josh Morgan should.
    Weems is just too small (Cutler overthrew him twice).
    Josh Morgan at around 6'1" fits our WR corps much better.
    He made a nice catch and seems to be a nice route runner.

• I thought Kyle Fuller showed some fearlessness. I think that's what I like most about him, he's not afraid to compete and certainly doesn't look intimidated by the big stage.
    • McClellin looked lost along with all the LB's out there not named Briggs. Greene had a nice scoop on the fumble, but I didn't pay attention to what else he was doing.
    • Chris Williams looked good on the long TD, but not sure (even if he's healthy) that he'd be able to do that against tougher competition.
    • Cutler looked sharp. Couple throws were off target, but for the most part he looked good. That TD pass to Miller was an extraordinary throw - that's what you paid for.
    • ST's were awful - blocked FG, allowed a long kickoff return TD - DeCamillis is an incompetent ST's coach and I don't see him returning on the staff next season. Quite frankly, I was disappointed that Trestman brought him back this year.
    • Ka'Deem Carey looked decent in pass pro - and was okay on the ground. The run game overall, looked pretty sluggish. I expect that to change as we progress through the season.
    Last edited by DaSuperfan; 08-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

One interesting note : I'm not sure if Fiametta received any snaps. I wonder what to make of that.

There's literally nobody else at FB on the depth chart.

Who gets the 2nd team reps in practice and who played FB in the game?
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    There's literally nobody else at FB on the depth chart.

Who gets the 2nd team reps in practice and who played FB in the game?
    I know I saw rosario in that role when the bears actually used a FB late in the game. Most of the time it seemed that they were in a 3 wr set with the TE and a solo back. Then again, it's preseason game 1 and I wasn't paying all that much attention to who was or wasn't playing FB.
    A man like Emery doesn't need a search firm. He is the search firm. - Jon Greenberg.

I'm just now able to watch a bit of the game. But a couple of things jump out at me already about our D:

- We're definitely running a hybrid, with at least one DT playing 2-gap and at least two other guys playing 1-gap. It's pretty vanilla right now, but I can see some interesting wrinkles.

- Jim Miller is the Hubie Brown of NFL commentators: so annoyingly half-smart that he makes the game unlistenable and almost unwatchable. As in just knowing that it's his voice being muted makes a game too irritating to watch. It's almost perfect, how atrociously awful he is, and I almost admire him for sniffing perfection of a kind. Almost. Mostly, I hate him.
    Last edited by karhu; 08-12-2014 at 04:45 AM.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. There’s a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if we’re not better it isn’t because there aren’t plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    2. I was holding out at about 40% hope that Shea would NOT turn into a bust. I'd say after this game of watching him as a LB, that hope has been cut in half...ie, I think there is an 80% chance that Shea will, when all is said and done, be a total bust.
    You call the special teams a work in progress because of all the new players, but you're basically saying that McClellin is a bust at LB after maybe a half of football at LB? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    5. Is Willie Young going to be better than Jared Allan this year?
    I also think we should let Jared Allen play a few plays, before really getting out there with thoughts like these. Willie Young has potential, but there's a reason they signed Jared Allen.