Steelers Depot - Training Camp Winners and Losers

The winners and losers section is a good read - pretty much recaps who has looked good (and bad) in TC thus far.
    Good to hear Wheaton and Gilbert are doing well, both are key pieces of the offensive puzzle this year. Adams has been panned all TC it seems - can't pass protect which is not what you want to hear about a LT. It will be interesting to see if he makes the squad. Cutting him would certainly send a message to the rest of the guys - "We're taking the best players forward regardless of name and draft position".

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08...training-camp/

Yeah read that earlier today, pretty much what I had been reading since day one at camp so sounds accurate.

I come away with a few things:
    Adams has to be on last leg this year, he better progress by end of camp though I could see them keeping him one more year unless someone seriously unseats him like Johnson but that would likely mean both Wimper and Johnson were playing better. He did ok as extra TE last year and at run blocking but if he can't pass protect and he looked terrible last year eventually he will be gone.

I don't like that the young DEs, save Tuitt, are not stepping up. I don't see keeping one on the roster unless they are at a high enough level thus the Keisel callup question could come up seriously in a couple weeks, unless one of them really starts showing up. Guess we'll see tomorrow night what is what on that front as they should all get plenty of time on the field with McLendon and possibly Heyward not playing.

At OLB after Worilds, J. Jones and Moats I am hoping to see one of two things the lights come on in Carter or H.Jones, Garvin, Zumwalt or So'oto move past him and push him off the roster, if so it is time for next guy up to develop. Carter went from the guy they expected to develop into Harrison's replacement to a mediocre OLB who is poor in run stopping and mediocre in rushing the passer who is nothing but a good ST guy. His time is about up.

I am loving the WR competition, no matter the final roster group they are going to be very good. Expecting (A. Brown, Wheaton, Moore, J. Brown, Bryant with longshot 6th Moye). A couple to PS.

I am rooting heavily for E.West as 3rd TE, I expect Blanchflower to end up on PS unless he really steps up. West appears to have the tools to develop into the most all around TE of the group
    competing for the 3rd TE. This said I have no problems with them going with 2 TEs and W. Johnson and Adams as extra blocker and being able to keep an extra RB, LB, OL or DL if none of the TEs are ready.

Seriously hoping McCullers makes the roster.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Thanks for the post.

Would Missi Mathews just say hello to poor Kozora already?

That linebacker battle is very interesting. I'd rather keep Garvin and Howard Jones around over Carter, potentially. Really hoping Jarvis Jones' instincts can guide him to some strong play. I have some faith in him.

Are we all going to be annoyed if Cam "World Beater" Thomas plays way more than Tuitt for the first 12 games? I hope not.

Saturday should be fun. Go Steelers!

Pretty much agree down the line with your comments. After last year, I thought Adams might eventually unseat Gilbert at RT but with his lack of progress (maybe even regression) and Gilbert's improvement, Adams seems more and more like a bust to me. Seems like every day I was reading about him getting beat badly in TC in one on one drills.

Not sure about the young DEs at this point. I've read a couple of pretty good reviews of Arnfeldt and still hoping that Nick Williams will step up and start flashing the potential that got the Steelers to draft him last year. Haven't heard much about Mauro and he is a bit undersized but he's a tough guy with a high motor.

Been reading a lot about Carter - probably cause its a make or break TC for him. He better get some sacks this preseason or he is toast and that is fine with me. Games I've watched he has been invisible when he's been on the field. I'd like to see any of those other 4 supplant him. In past years I'd have said "fat chance" due to LeBeau's preference for rostering vets because they know his system, but this year he seems much more willing to give young guys a chance. Probably because he has no choice.

I think our WR group will surprise people. A good mix with speed and now height as well. As the proud father of an OSU grad, I love hearing that Wheaton is constantly getting separation and catching the ball.

Bummed that Blanchflower was injured. Not that I got overly excited about a 6th round TE but he seemed to fit the mold of a Steeler TE and I am tired of the stiffs we roster behind Heath and Spaeth. Would love seeing some new blood in there.

Totally agree on Shade Tree. Will be disappointed if they keep journeyman Fangupo instead of him. IMO, unless he totally bombs in PS, there's no way they can sneak him onto the practice squad after the TC he's had.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbleHead View Post

Would Missi Mathews just say hello to poor Kozora already?
    Yeah, the least she can do, that guy has been submitting some pretty detailed reports from TC.

I would think it unlikely Adams gets cut this year. He isn't making that much and he's only 24. Last year, with the stabbing, I'm sure he didn't accomplish much in training camp. He wouldn't be the first player to have the light go on in the last year of his rookie deal....

Who the hell is Missi Matthews?

Quote Originally Posted by AZSTEELER View Post
    Who the hell is Missi Matthews?
    Attractive reporter chick.

I'll consider her "Pittsburgh attractive".

Quote Originally Posted by AZSTEELER View Post
    I'll consider her "Pittsburgh attractive".
    Ha!…Well put.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Heinz Ward View Post
    I would think it unlikely Adams gets cut this year. He isn't making that much and he's only 24. Last year, with the stabbing, I'm sure he didn't accomplish much in training camp. He wouldn't be the first player to have the light go on in the last year of his rookie deal....
    Mike Adams (based on his performance last nite) is effectively playing his way out of Pittsburgh.
    Daniel Snyder is a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by skinswin! View Post
    Mike Adams (based on his performance last nite) is effectively playing his way out of Pittsburgh.
    He behaved himself off most teams draft boards before that.