Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    The article starts with the premise that tax reform can never happen in Congress today. That is the problem.

EVERYONE agrees that taxes need to be reformed. Heck it wouldn't even be all that politically divisive to change them in a meaningful way.

Drop the marginal rates a couple of points. Significantly raise capital gains rates to reduce the distorting effect of the imbalance between regular taxes and capital gains. Significantly lower the corporate tax rate while eliminating most of the major deductions.

The problem is that the Tea Party opposes ANY kind of tax hike including the elimination of deductions. So they would support the lowering of the marginal rates and corporate rates but they would oppose eliminating deductions or raising cap gains. Thus they would simply look to make the problem worse.
    Capital gains taxes are largely irrelevant for the corporate tax code. Raising that as an issue is a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Bumper sticker words? You can't even read a full sentence, you come up with some bull**** to respond to the first half and completely miss the point. I don't want companies to have lower taxes. I'd like them to have more. But I know this will drive them offshore, which is even worse than not taxing them. Hence the extreme suggestion above. Income taxes harm individuals. The government should be handing out money/services to their citizens, not taking from them.
    So like I said, make useless pie in the sky 'extreme solutions' arguments.

And no, income taxes do not 'harm' individuals. I pay higher taxes than you do, but I GET things for those taxes. I get to send my kid to a public school that's actually giving her a world class education. My nation's infrastructure is actually in a bit better shape than yours is. etc. etc. etc.

The question isn't 'should we pay taxes?' It's 'am I getting a good return on my investment?'
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12