Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Now I'm really confused. A friend of my wife's in Rancho Bernardo sent the PM about Carver's

It's horrible
    Lol
    Avant at rancho Bernardo inn is great.
    Sushi on the rock 4s ranch. Great
    I'm a hard core foodie
    Addison at grand del mar is great
    I can plan his food for trip.
    Sandwiches brothers provisions is great
    But Amaya at grand del mar is awful
    Anyhow,

My favorite sushi restaurants these days are Oishii Sushi outside Boston (I've never been to the original location, presumably the one buddies Tom Brady & Peyton Manning were seen eating at), Sushi Sam's outside San Francisco, and Ozumo in San Francisco. Sakae outside San Francisco (Burlingame) was great too, but IMO has slipped. I don't get to NYC any more, and haven't been in Japan since 1979, so I'll stand with those.

Upscale chains that I've found to be good include Morton's (steak) and McCormick & Schmick (fish). I think the latter has slipped a little, but I still put it ahead of previous fish favorite Legal Seafood, not that I've eaten at the latter for ages.

California Pizza Kitchen is a very solid chain. Papa Razzi is a very nice Italian mini-chain in New England.

I used to love Peking Duck House/Beijing Duck House in NYC. Last I looked that was a one-city mini-chain. Anywhere else I get Peking Duck it's too sweet.

A lot of the Indian restaurants around Boston, with different names, are actually owned by one guy. The two I go to are Royal India in Lexington and Savoury/Savouring/whatever Cuisine in Maynard.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

1. Sushi, I almost always enjoy a dragon roll
    2. Pizza. Specifically a meatlovers or a sausage, cheese , and tomato deep dish
    3. Burrito/Crispy Tacos. Love me some burrito, but I really like crunching through a mfew crispy tacos. If all I have at home are soft tacos (most of the time) I'll crunch up some chips in the taco.
    4. A well cut steak with a garlic-type butter with baked (sweet) potato
    5. Lobstah

Alcy drink: Straight whisky or a sidecar
    Non-alcy drink: Sweetened Green Tea
    Guilty pleasure non-alcy drink: Root beer

Favorite chain: Either Texas Roadhouse or Chipotle, depending on what I'm craving at the time
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    What else is good there? I need to go to Rancho Bernardo in a few weeks ...
    Not much...Rancho Bernardo is where the old people live...they have your standard fast food & chain restaurants. They have a pub called "Urge Gastropub"...it's a bit pricey, but they serve a good selection of beers.

There's also Pho Cu Ado....a Vietnamese Pho joint...I love their soups....

That's about it...

And as for Oishii...I used to eat at the Sudbury, MA location all the time...really really good sushi..probably the best in New England, IMO. (also ate at the other one in Brookline I think...more crowded)
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    And as for Oishii...I used to eat at the Sudbury, MA location all the time...really really good sushi..probably the best in New England, IMO. (also ate at the other one in Brookline I think...more crowded)
    I've only been to the Sudbury location. Happily, my wife had a hair stylist in the same shopping center, and so we discovered it. It's now our favorite restaurant in the Boston area by far.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    Now I'm really confused. A friend of my wife's in Rancho Bernardo sent the PM about Carver's

Anyhow,

My favorite sushi restaurants these days are Oishii Sushi outside Boston (I've never been to the original location, presumably the one buddies Tom Brady & Peyton Manning were seen eating at), Sushi Sam's outside San Francisco, and Ozumo in San Francisco. Sakae outside San Francisco (Burlingame) was great too, but IMO has slipped. I don't get to NYC any more, and haven't been in Japan since 1979, so I'll stand with those.

Upscale chains that I've found to be good include Morton's (steak) and McCormick & Schmick (fish). I think the latter has slipped a little, but I still put it ahead of previous fish favorite Legal Seafood, not that I've eaten at the latter for ages.

California Pizza Kitchen is a very solid chain. Papa Razzi is a very nice Italian mini-chain in New England.

I used to love Peking Duck House/Beijing Duck House in NYC. Last I looked that was a one-city mini-chain. Anywhere else I get Peking Duck it's too sweet.

A lot of the Indian restaurants around Boston, with different names, are actually owned by one guy. The two I go to are Royal India in Lexington and Savoury/Savouring/whatever Cuisine in Maynard.

I never thought of Legal Seafoods or Paparazzi as chains but I guess they are. I like both of those btw.

Same with Cheesecake factory. They have a great variety of different dishes from meatloaf to Jamaican Black Pepper Shrimp

.................................... dp

OK. I went to Carver's in Rancho Bernardo last night. It's certainly a very good steakhouse, but I wouldn't necessarily rank it ahead of any Morton's location I've ever been to (for example).

One dish, however, was world-class -- the sherried mushrooms side order. They were just amazing.

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Whoh, I just realized that I forgot the Shanghai style xiao long bao at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia, California. I first had them at their Hong Kong restaurant, and the LA version is just as good. There is one in Seattle too.

they are like little steamed dumplings with a thin smooth rice skin, filled with spiced pork and soup. You put one in a big spoon, poke it to let the soup start running out, and pop it into your mouth.

Then you jizz in your pants. So good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123