Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthBear View Post
    Why do you keep on saying that White has a higher ceiling? Is it just because he is faster? The way you are making it sound, I thought he had a 4.4 40 but looking at his combine numbers, he ran a 4.57. While still faster than Carey, he's not that fast either.
    You might even say he's kinda slow.

White, I mean. Talking about White.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearmagic View Post
    #2) White was in a RBBC System, and his numbers can project off the charts if he was the main back
    This statement is fundamentally flawed. Wisconsin has a history of going with workhorse RBs. See the others mentioned in this thread. But they ran a RBBC recently with White in the mix. If White projected off the charts as a workhorse RB as you suggest, WHY DIDN'T WISCONSIN USE HIM THAT WAY??? It clearly seems to me that they didn't think he had the skill set or durability to be that kind of back, even at the college level. So to suggest that he could be a quality workhorse RB in the pros is a massive logic leap.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    This statement is fundamentally flawed. Wisconsin has a history of going with workhorse RBs. See the others mentioned in this thread. But they ran a RBBC recently with White in the mix. If White projected off the charts as a workhorse RB as you suggest, WHY DIDN'T WISCONSIN USE HIM THAT WAY??? It clearly seems to me that they didn't think he had the skill set or durability to be that kind of back, even at the college level. So to suggest that he could be a quality workhorse RB in the pros is a massive logic leap.
    I agree with this.

James White wasn't even the best RB on his college team. Some could even argue 3rd best.

And in regard to the logic of the thread, I assume the logic is, "oh crap, James White is getting some fantasy football press, I wish CHI would have drafted him instead of Ka'Deem Carey, who no one is talking about."

This statement is fundamentally flawed. Wisconsin has a history of going with workhorse RBs.
    I 100% disagree with you. In the articles below, you will see that Wisconsin uses a running back by committee approach. Regardless, of prior coaching staff's, the current staff (White was under) uses an RBBC approach. They still do in fact...

Wisconsin uses a “running back by committee” system, but running the ball has been their bread and butter in keeping with historical tendencies of Wisconsin football. Three of the four backs who have ran for Wisconsin this year average over six yards per carry. Sophomore Melvin Gordon averages 10.3 yards, senior James White averages 6.9, while true freshman Corey Clement averages 7.6.
    http://midwaymadness.com/2013/10/can...und-and-pound/
    "White’s departure could mean a much bigger workload for fellow 1000-yard back Melvin Gordon, but it most likely means someone else needs to pick up his production so as to continue Wisconsin’s “running back by committee” success.

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/201...onsin-badgers/
    I could go on and on about this but won't.

So to suggest that he could be a quality workhorse RB in the pros is a massive logic leap.
    So much of a leap that even Bellichek (who by the way is least of the NFL Coaches to over dramatize or over inflate the use of his words) says he is a 3 down back? You can admit [I'm sure] he is way better of discerning who can be a quality work horse back in the pros then you or I...right?

Regardless, I've said what needed to be said. We can agree to disagree and continue to the enjoy the rest of the Pre-Season and Regular Season NFL Games.

To Ka'Deem Carey....making me eat my words

Go Bears !!!

Respectfully submitted,

Bear Magic
    Last edited by Bearmagic; 08-07-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    Are you really playing the hindsight 20/20 game with a few days into August? Not one player from the 2014 draft class has played against live NFL competition during the regular season. Let's take a wait and see approach and see if you and Belicheat are singing the same tune by the end of the season.

Hated the Carey pick from the start. SLOW RB who won't diversify our offense because WE HAVE NO SPEED! Our fastest WR was just lost for half the season.
    Thanks Phil. Our Offense will be good enough to beat the crap teams again but sputter against good teams just like last year.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

Quote Originally Posted by Aube View Post
    Hated the Carey pick from the start. SLOW RB who won't diversify our offense because WE HAVE NO SPEED! Our fastest WR was just lost for half the season.
    Thanks Phil. Our Offense will be good enough to beat the crap teams again but sputter against good teams just like last year.
    That's fine, Aube - and you make a valid point about the lack of speed element. I was just referring to BM's claim that we should have taken White over Carey in August when no one on this board said in the 4th round back in May, "We should have taken James White instead of Carey." And are we really going to make those assumptions because Belicheat made a comment about a rookie he drafted? Heck, I'm sure a lot of HC's around the league are spouting off about their rookies and how good they look in practice. Doesn't mean I'm going to say, "Man, we should have taken player X over Ego Ferguson in the 2nd because Andy Reid said blah blah". Let these kids play first before you make judgments.

I know you weren't a fan of the Carey pick at the time. But did you have any alternatives that you had an eye on during the draft?
    Last edited by DaSuperfan; 08-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Aube, if our offense is so slow, than why did Forte tie for 2nd in the league with 9 20+ yard runs? Receiving wise Jeffery was 6th with 20 20+ yard catches, and Marshall was 17th with 16. So, our top 2 receivers are both in the top 20 for big plays league wide, and our running back had the second most big plays at his position. That isn’t a slow team. Forte plays faster than he times, and or receivers are really fast and athletic for their size. We have guys who’s instincts and skill set allows them to maximize their average (or maybe a touch above) speed. That is functional football speed, and this team has it in spades. We have had players in the past that have been faster, but a lot of those guys couldn’t get on the field.

As to this debate, it shouldn’t even be one at this point. Carey had a better resume than White, and his film looks better. He is also a notably good short yardage back, and that is the one thing that Forte isn’t. I liked White too, but not as much as Carey. White might be better in the end, but it isn’t as though one can’t easily build a case for taking Carey over him. It’s an easy case to build, and most draft stuff that I read had Carey rated higher going into the draft.

Nice post, anhur.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

White is a healthy inactive for the Pats today. Further proof of the value of glowing training camp reports.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123