Went to camp today with a co-worker of mine. Have to say that it was the most boring TC practice I've ever attended. Half of the work was STs drills. And many of the name players did not participate... Marshall, Bennett, Mills, Wilson, Jennings, Allen. I didn't see Ratliff playing, although maybe he did and I missed it.
On offense, we seemed to do an inordinate number of checkdowns. I saw several plays with guys wide open 15-yards downfield, only to see our QB (Palmer in particular) do his best Shane Matthews impression. There was an entire drill sequence where the QBs were doing nothing but throwing the dumpoff. Zzzzzzz.
- Cutler looked OK. He had a couple of bad throws. But didn't look bad.
- Palmer was the #2. He and Clausen looked similarly OK. Nothing exciting.
- Fales.... eh.
- Alshon was unstoppable. Caught everything. Was the star of the day.
Everybody else had at least one drop.
- Josh Morgan should be next man up with his resume and he was OK, but uninspiring. On one downfield route, he looked like he either slowed down or ran out of gas 30 yards downfield. Disappointing.
- Chris Williams looks like he should be the #3 in my book with Wilson out. I'm a little biased, but he clearly brings a dimension of speed and quickness that his competitors lack. He doesn't look intimidated, although he is a smurf. He wasn't the first guy back on KRs, which surprised me.
Everybody else are just guys.
- Forte made some nice plays in the passing game today.
- Shaun Draughn really looks the part. Like Forte, he's almost a little too tall.
- KaDeem Carey is not only short, he's also thin for a RB. You'd expect a 5'9" 207 guy to be a lot thicker than he is, ala Barry Sanders. I don't know how he's going to stay healthy with his body. He reminds me of Earl Bennett in the way you expect him to look one way based on his roster tangibles, but he looks skinnier.
Didn't pay much attention to the OL, although there's a guy who was with the #1s some in Mills' place who is a monster. 6'9" 315# 31-year old Dennis Roland was mammoth and seemed to do OK, although I had never heard of him.
Without Bennett, none of the TEs made you go wow, although Matthew Mulligan is the thickest guy, but he could do the same mediocre things in the passing game that the other guys did. So I'd have him on the roster based on size alone.
It's hard to evaluate DL guys, but I saw Ferguson bat down a ball and Sutton would've gotten a sack. Houston stood around a lot.
I didn't focus on the LBs much, but it was interesting.
- Shea made 2 PDs, one almost resulting in an interception. Encouraging.
- Bostic is a nickel starter with Briggs.
- Christian Jones is really tall for a LB. And thick. He about tore a WR in half after a catch before he backed off. We need to keep our eye on him. I think he's going to stick even if he looks more like a DE.
- Watched Kyle Fuller a lot. He looked OK, not bad. Not great either. No PDs that I saw. But he got destroyed by Jeffery today.
- Tillman didn't do a lot of reps, but he looked good.
Your starting Ss were Adrian Wilson and Ryan Mundy, an odd pairing since they've both been competing at SS up to now.
- Wilson looked like the best safety out there. Made about 3 PDs.
- Vereen did not look good. Went for an interception against one of the big, slower backup TEs and was late, giving up a TD to a player who may not make the roster. 2-3x I saw a coach pull him aside after a play to give him direction.
Despite an apparent emphasis on STs today, I never saw one actual kick or punt that didn't come via the jugs machine.
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm not going to be able to return to camp tomorrow, which was going to be my day to take pictures. :-(