US VPs are obscure

I ran across a list of seven guys who in the 19th Century were VP of the US. The only names I recognized were of the two who went on to be President. So then I wondered -- do we remember any VPs other than the ones who went on to be President? My answer turns out to almost be "No".

Of course, we recall recent ones; I could easily name all the ones in my lifetime (a list that goes back to VP Richard Nixon -- and no, I'm not forgetting Rockefeller). And I'm pretty sure I can identify a majority of the presidents who were previously VP. (In approximately decreasing order of certainty, my list is Bush 41, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, Truman, Coolidge, TR, Chester A. Arthur, Andrew Johnson, Tyler, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin van Buren, James Monroe, James Madison.)

But otherwise I know almost none of the VPs. Without looking it up, I had:

• Aaron Burr, of course (the Thomas Jefferson VP famous for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel).
    • Henry Wallace, who led a 3rd/4th party defection from the Democrats in 1948. (I accurately had him as the FDR VP before Truman.)
    • John Nance Garner, the VP with the famous "Not worth a pitcher of warm piss/spit" quote. (He turns out to have served two terms with FDR; I was guessing him in the 1920s instead.)

And that's as far as I got.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

That list, by the way, was in

APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Yep, except for perhaps the "colorful" ones, no one cares. I think the only non-president VP I can even think of like that is Spiro I Agnew.

Can't spell potatoe w/o Dan Quayle!
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

US VPs had very little influence on anything until the mid 20th century. Like the old joke.

There were once two twin brothers. One went off to sea. The other became Vice President. Neither was heard from again.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I hope people remember Dick Cheney.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Yeah really. Forgetting Satan isn't a great way to lead one's life.
    I promise I won't do it again

I long for the days of forgettable VP's after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Yeah really. Forgetting Satan isn't a great way to lead one's life.
    We agree on that one.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Of course. The Vice Commander in Chief.