self introduction (presentation) ideas

I have to give 10 minute self presentation at an upcoming management training with some fellow co-workers.

Does anyone have any unique ideas rather than a powerpoint and the usual "I grew up here and went to college here and this is how I met my spouse and look at my kids" crap?

Do it quiz style with questions about your life. For example: "Of the following choices, guesss where I met my wife: a. In college b. In jail c. On a blind date d. In rehab "
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Bugger the Burser.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Do it quiz style with questions about your life. For example: "Of the following choices, guesss where I met my wife: a. In college b. In jail c. On a blind date d. In rehab "
    Pretty entertaining idea. Thanks...I'll have to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Load Letter View Post
    Pretty entertaining idea. Thanks...I'll have to think about that.
    +2...I liked it.

And I am supposed to give a "show" to some elementary school kids at a summer camp next week on Tuesday...and they are expecting a 60 minute show....and I haven't the faintest idea what I will do...

At least, you can talk about yourself...easiest subject ever....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Tell stories instead of biographies. Think of a story that is somewhat self-effacing but also amusing to tell. You want to be someone that others wanted to listen to rather than someone trying too hard.

Obviously the story has to be business appropriate, whatever that means for your specific company, but telling a story about how you are will pull people towards you.

Unless of course you have done nothing interesting in your life. In that case, bring a rabbit and a hat.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Create a story about 3 completely untrue wild events that helped shape you professional career.
    You learned sincerity from being at the playboy mansion for a week (meeting x, y, z playmates and finding them insincere),
    You learned sacrifice by scaling Mt Everest (where you were part of a group that had to cancel your summit to help a climber off the mountain to save his life) You learned trust from trekking through the Australian outback (where an Aborigine tribe approached you and made you nervous until they explained a pack of dingos had been stalking you for 3 days before they helped drive them off)
    Then in the last minute or so, tell them matter of factually that while all stories were BS you grew up with those values from strong family influences and you're passing on to your own family and give them the stats: married with ____ kids live in ____ worked for ________ for _______ years and love to hate the GB Packers, but you needed some filler and at least wanted to be interesting.

just some examples...use them or come up with your own...
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Tell stories instead of biographies. Think of a story that is somewhat self-effacing but also amusing to tell. You want to be someone that others wanted to listen to rather than someone trying too hard.

Obviously the story has to be business appropriate, whatever that means for your specific company, but telling a story about how you are will pull people towards you.

Unless of course you have done nothing interesting in your life. In that case, bring a rabbit and a hat.
    I definitely want it to be on the amusing side. I definitely like the idea of telling a story, just don't have one off the top of my head that would work for this. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    +2...I liked it.

And I am supposed to give a "show" to some elementary school kids at a summer camp next week on Tuesday...and they are expecting a 60 minute show....and I haven't the faintest idea what I will do...

At least, you can talk about yourself...easiest subject ever....
    60 minutes for elementary kids? Either someone is putting you on, or doesn't know kids at all. Run, run for the hills. 10 mintues TOPS.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by janos_51 View Post
    Create a story about 3 completely untrue wild events that helped shape you professional career.
    You learned sincerity from being at the playboy mansion for a week (meeting x, y, z playmates and finding them insincere),
    You learned sacrifice by scaling Mt Everest (where you were part of a group that had to cancel your summit to help a climber off the mountain to save his life) You learned trust from trekking through the Australian outback (where an Aborigine tribe approached you and made you nervous until they explained a pack of dingos had been stalking you for 3 days before they helped drive them off)
    Then in the last minute or so, tell them matter of factually that while all stories were BS you grew up with those values from strong family influences and you're passing on to your own family and give them the stats: married with ____ kids live in ____ worked for ________ for _______ years and love to hate the GB Packers, but you needed some filler and at least wanted to be interesting.

just some examples...use them or come up with your own...
    Thanks, janos. I came across a similar idea on some google searches. I really like the idea of throwing them a curveball. This could be something that works. Unfortunately the Packers hate wouldn't mean much here. I'm a transplant living in SC. They have no idea what football is outside of college.

Wear a dress, a fake beard and a fez.
    I promise I won't do it again