Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    We did do the Upton deal.
    Sorry forgot the details. I was more thinking about the fact that Seattle fans hated the idea of giving up Walker and Franklin, who aren't seen as nearly the untouchables they were then.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Sorry forgot the details. I was more thinking about the fact that Seattle fans hated the idea of giving up Walker and Franklin, who aren't seen as nearly the untouchables they were then.
    I didn't mind it, but I don't think Upton is that great either.

My feelings on Franklin are well documented on this site though. I've taken grief from M's fans because I've never liked Franklin and thought they should have traded him when his value was higher.

Remember though, Walker was a lot different as a prospect at the time of this trade. No injury, curveball was much more effective, didn't have the major command issues, was hitting 96-98 regularly, etc.

He's a shell of that now, although I guess the point could be made that that is a reasonable risk of a young pitcher.

Well exactly, but that's the risk with all prospects. It doesn't really matter if the issues were apparent at the time.

I don't know how great Upton is, but I think an 800+ OPS OF would be damn useful to the Mariners. More than the proposed package of players is/will.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Wasn't the issue with the Upton deal that Upton had Seattle on his no-trade list?
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Wasn't the issue with the Upton deal that Upton had Seattle on his no-trade list?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Yes. That's why I said we "did" the Upton deal. He nixed it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234