Post Defensive observations from Camp

So Bearmagic and I attended Monday's practice. My task was to watch the defense, his the offense.

Here's the booty-

1) Lamar Houston is the real deal. He's much bigger than he looks on paper and was playing a lot of 3-technique (a good fit for him). He blew past lineman and would have had several sacks had he been allowed to hit the QB. Good move by Emery.

2) Both Bearmagic and I felt that Will Sutton looked slow and lacked initial burst. It appears Emery still has no luck drafting defense. But we'll give Sutton more time. Even Tommie Harris didn't blow it up his first year.

3) Adrian Wilson looked slow and stiff to me. When's the last time a player cut by the Patriots amounted to more than camp fodder?

4) Ryan Mundy isn't the answer at Safety.

5) Jaren Allen looked slow. He didn't generate much of a push against Bushrod. Here's hoping this isn't a sign of what we all fear - - that's he's past his expiration date.

6) Shea showed me nothing. Although I did try to coerce Bearmagic into purchasing his discounted jersey at the camp shop. He opted for Peppers instead.

7) Tillman looked like his 2012 self. Here's hoping he can stay healthy.

8) For all the hype about the Bears running a "hybrid" defense and straying from their Cover-2 roots, they sure played a lot of Cover-2 or an offshoot of 2-man. Some things never change.

9) Willie Young is just a guy. Literally.

10) Ego Ferguson is big. My other thought regarding our second rounder? He's big.

11) Bostic played a lot more pass coverage (at least during this practice).

12) Our DL is stouter and will be tougher to bully.

The highlight of the trip was watching a little league baseball playoff game between two travel teams directly across the street from Bearmagic's house. How's that for you?
    Last edited by Aube; 07-31-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

Nice job. Appreciate you sharing.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Quote Originally Posted by Aube View Post

8) For all the hype about the Bears running a "hybrid" defense and straying from their Cover-2 roots, they sure played a lot of Cover-2 or an offshoot of 2-man. Some things never change.
    Weird. I just got done reading an article where everything they said made it sound like the front 7 schema was radically different from past years - lineman control their man, instead of shooting gaps, for example.

9) Willie Young is just a guy. Literally.
    I can believe that
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

I heard on the radio that at the beginning of camp that LH was destroying our RGs when he was inside. They said that Britton was filling in for Kyle Long and got demoted because he was doing so badly against LH. But the other guys they put there didn't do any better. Of course, he's going against backups. So I guess we should expect a quality player to dominate.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Nice Aube.

Tell us more about the little league game.

While I greatly appreciate spreading around the camp coverage (and you both sharing what you saw) it would be FAR more interesting for me (from both an information perspective AND from a human psychology perspective) if Mr. Optimist (Bear Magic) and Mr. Pessimist (Aube) both watched the same practice and independently reported back about what they saw. I feel like i could average your perspectives and get the least biased coverage of the Bears that I've ever read.... ;)

Great work on the report. I very much enjoyed reading it. Thank you!
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

Thanks for the report. Since you were watching the defense, how did Kyle Fuller look?
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

I understand Lamarr Houston looks good.

But is he fast?

Your defensive observations are offensive.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    Thanks for the report. Since you were watching the defense, how did Kyle Fuller look?
    When I was there...the kid looked like he belonged. He has that IT FACTOR....like Alshon Jeffery....something that you couldn't "pinpoint" early on in the process....but later on....IT BECOMES OBVIOUS TO MANY. In my opinion....Fuller is on the same path and trajectory of Jeffery. He just "has it".

Quote Originally Posted by TBATB54 View Post
    I understand Lamarr Houston looks good.

But is he fast?
    When Aube and I were there...the dude has a lighting first quick step. For a quiet/reserved type of guy....he really brings it when the lights goes on. Very impressed with him with just visual observation. Take my observation with a grain of salt...but this is what I saw...

Quote Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
    While I greatly appreciate spreading around the camp coverage (and you both sharing what you saw) it would be FAR more interesting for me (from both an information perspective AND from a human psychology perspective) if Mr. Optimist (Bear Magic) and Mr. Pessimist (Aube) both watched the same practice and independently reported back about what they saw. I feel like i could average your perspectives and get the least biased coverage of the Bears that I've ever read.... ;)

Great work on the report. I very much enjoyed reading it. Thank you!
    That was the plan. Bearmagic was supposed to cover the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    Your defensive observations are offensive.
    LOL. Why thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    Nice Aube.

Tell us more about the little league game.
    Well, just when the visiting team was mounting a comeback our significant others ordered us inside for dinner :(
    That will take some getting used to!

That was the plan. Bearmagic was supposed to cover the offense.
    I got way to busy man...sorry. If I give a commentary...I want to do a thorough job. In short...back then Cutler looked off. Bennett scored some TD's....the biggest surprise was that CFL Kickoff Return and WR they have in Chris Williams. He caught everything in site and the guy is lightening fast. He reminds me of a guy that is so small....but he gets you upset because you can't catch him...