So Bearmagic and I attended Monday's practice. My task was to watch the defense, his the offense.
Here's the booty-
1) Lamar Houston is the real deal. He's much bigger than he looks on paper and was playing a lot of 3-technique (a good fit for him). He blew past lineman and would have had several sacks had he been allowed to hit the QB. Good move by Emery.
2) Both Bearmagic and I felt that Will Sutton looked slow and lacked initial burst. It appears Emery still has no luck drafting defense. But we'll give Sutton more time. Even Tommie Harris didn't blow it up his first year.
3) Adrian Wilson looked slow and stiff to me. When's the last time a player cut by the Patriots amounted to more than camp fodder?
4) Ryan Mundy isn't the answer at Safety.
5) Jaren Allen looked slow. He didn't generate much of a push against Bushrod. Here's hoping this isn't a sign of what we all fear - - that's he's past his expiration date.
6) Shea showed me nothing. Although I did try to coerce Bearmagic into purchasing his discounted jersey at the camp shop. He opted for Peppers instead.
7) Tillman looked like his 2012 self. Here's hoping he can stay healthy.
8) For all the hype about the Bears running a "hybrid" defense and straying from their Cover-2 roots, they sure played a lot of Cover-2 or an offshoot of 2-man. Some things never change.
9) Willie Young is just a guy. Literally.
10) Ego Ferguson is big. My other thought regarding our second rounder? He's big.
11) Bostic played a lot more pass coverage (at least during this practice).
12) Our DL is stouter and will be tougher to bully.
The highlight of the trip was watching a little league baseball playoff game between two travel teams directly across the street from Bearmagic's house. How's that for you?