Jordy Nelson Gets Contract Extension

Some might be surprised at the money, but no one should be surprised at the amount after the deal the Bears gave Marshall. Though Marshall was for three years with higher guarantees as this article indicates: .... includes $23 million in guarantees, per a source informed of the pact. The wideout will earn $15 million in Year 1, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported. From: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ion-with-bears

More on the Marshal contract in which the total possible payout is $40 million. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...andon-marshall

Don't see how the Packers can keep Cobb now. But football contracts, who knows.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...lion-extension

Packers wide receiver Jordy Nelson reportedly wanted $10 million per season on his next deal, and that's just about what he got in his new four-year, $39 million extension, which includes an $11.5 million signing bonus and $14.2 million guaranteed, confirms CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport first tweeted the news Saturday morning.

Nelson, who was entering the final year of his contract, has quietly been one of the league's best receivers; in 2013 he had 85 receptions for 1,314 yards and eight touchdowns, and was the league's No. 2 pass catcher, according to Football Outsiders' efficiency metric.

Since 2011, Nelson has hauled in 202 passes for 3,322 yards and 30 scores. At 29, he's the same age as Greg Jennings and James Jones when the Packers chose to let them leave in free agency.
    Last edited by excalibur; 07-29-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    The good die first, And they whose hearts are dry as summer dust Burn to the socket. ~~ William Wordsworth

It seems like a fair market deal to me, and I think that Nelson has enough left in the tank to earn the money over the next few seasons. It does put them in a bit of a bind when it comes to keeping Cobb, but there always seems to be a few dollars that can be shifted around via roster bonuses/signing bonuses/extensions that would allow us to sign Cobb if we really want. I have a feeling that Cobb's play and health this season will dictate our next move, but I think it is likely that he is resigned.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Don Barclay done with a torn ACL. Big loss, he saw over 1000 snaps in 2013.
    The good die first, And they whose hearts are dry as summer dust Burn to the socket. ~~ William Wordsworth

I wasn't counting on Barclay to be a starter this year for us with Bulaga coming back, but he would have been our top backup tackle. He was an adequate replacement for Bulaga last season, and I hate to see the depth on our line thinned already.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"