Claim: Solar flares are a real danger

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07...just_one_week/

The article is a little confusing, in that it says the chance of a solar flare as bad as the "Carrington Event" of 1859 has a 12% chance of hitting in any given decade, and doesn't explain the obvious arithmetic paradox. Meanwhile, based on slightly older research, that Wikipedia article I linked suggests a frequency of once every 500 years.

The trigger for the discussion is a solar flare that was that bad in 2012, only not pointed straight at our Earth. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack...-missed-earth/ looks like a guide to some earlier discussion of the same flare.

The effect would apparently be to take out most of the satellite grids (comm sats, GPS), set some of the terrestrial electronic grid on fire, cause some hellacious power spikes for computers (perhaps starting some additional fires), and so on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_solar_storm has more, suggesting that electricity might be out for weeks.

Obviously, greater solar flares could be even worse, up to and including depopulating the planet. Presumably the utterly catastrophic ones are quite unlikely; certainly I don't recall any claims of scientific evidence of them occurring with much frequency over the past few billion years.

This is also the premise of one of the great science fiction stories, Niven's Inconstant Moon. http://downtownmagnets.edlioschool.c...ant%20Moon.pdf It's from the 1960s, which is why there are no internet nor cell phones in it.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Cool, I bet that would look awesome.

There was a pretty crazy storm last night around these parts.

so i hear we almost ended up in a mad max situation 2 years ago if a flare was only a week early. i guess those gun nuts would of had a lot of fun shooting people amongst the chaos because we all know what happens when people with guns encounter people without guns

i guess the fall out from all the radiation from the nuclear plants would of killed us all anyways since we have a lot of those

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Empire View Post
    we all know what happens when people with guns encounter people without guns
    That's why I never learned to hunt. Everyone always told me "you need to know how to live off the land, take game, clean it etc. **** that. I'll just rob bitches like you if I need to.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Η ζωή ενός σκλάβου είναι όλοι καταλαβαίνετε, δεν ξέρεις τίποτα από την ελευθερία. Γιατί αν το κάνατε, θα μας ενθάρρυνε να πολεμήσουν, όχι μόνο με το δόρυ μας, αλλά και με ό, τι έχουμε.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner View Post
    That's why I never learned to hunt. Everyone always told me "you need to know how to live off the land, take game, clean it etc. **** that. I'll just rob bitches like you if I need to.
    watch a movie called the road when theres nothing left

Do you have the DVD? When I rob you before civilization completely fails I'll have you put it on for me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Η ζωή ενός σκλάβου είναι όλοι καταλαβαίνετε, δεν ξέρεις τίποτα από την ελευθερία. Γιατί αν το κάνατε, θα μας ενθάρρυνε να πολεμήσουν, όχι μόνο με το δόρυ μας, αλλά και με ό, τι έχουμε.