Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Were they at their peak when they fought Money? Maybe not, but that's not Floyd's fault. He can only fight who's there's to fight. Besides he would've beaten either in their prime imo. While I'm not the biggest Mayweather fan, with the exception of punching power at this stage of his career. He's simply a far more technically sound fighter in every other aspect of boxing than anyone of this era far as the weight classes he's fought in. While I think Manny would've gotten him a couple year ago. I wouldn't bet money on it that he would. And now that Marquez damn punched Manny into the afterlife and he's had a taste of politics. I dunno if Manny's got the hunger anymore. And something can happen to fighters, especially those who are deemed great before they actually are great, Mike Tyson was never the same after Buster beat the sh*t outta his ass. Or fighters who are truly great, but get beat in awesomely devastating fashion , hello, Roy Jones, Jr.

I saw some guy say Floyd needs to fight Triple G and I'm like GTFO! He may as well fight Ronda Rousey with his hands tied behind his back or the oldest Klitsco(sp) brother in a dark alley.
    Maybe it's the sad state that boxing is in, that even it's really good fighters aren't very well known to the general public. Or maybe, there really aren't a collection of great fighters, so when someone like Mayweather comes along, and he stands tall among a mediocre crowd that gets rated as "really good - great - HOF" merely because they're the best at the time, he gets labeled a great fighter.

But Mayweather, IMO, hasn't fought anyone considered great. Sugar Ray Leonard (my favorite) fought some of the greatest fighters in history; Hagler did too. Hearns did too. Ali did too.

Pacquiao would have been that one great fight that would have elevated Mayweather, IMO. But he ducked that.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe View Post
    Maybe it's the sad state that boxing is in, that even it's really good fighters aren't very well known to the general public. Or maybe, there really aren't a collection of great fighters, so when someone like Mayweather comes along, and he stands tall among a mediocre crowd that gets rated as "really good - great - HOF" merely because they're the best at the time, he gets labeled a great fighter.

But Mayweather, IMO, hasn't fought anyone considered great. Sugar Ray Leonard (my favorite) fought some of the greatest fighters in history; Hagler did too. Hearns did too. Ali did too.

Pacquiao would have been that one great fight that would have elevated Mayweather, IMO. But he ducked that.
    Valid points imo. As I'm not near as up on boxing as I used to be. I should probably let those who are speak on it. This is an old article, but it sums up pretty good my feelings on Floyd. There's also the bottom line fact that I just don't like Floyd's ass. I respect what he's done though. I believe that with the way things have been done in boxing the last 40 or whatever years when promoters such as Don King, Bob Arum, and Butch Lewis became the real power brokers within boxing. That Floyd has been one of the very few non-promoters, De La Hoya is another, that took control of their own career and crafted themselves a seat at the table of the boxing power base.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2009/0...eather-marquez
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

I am not the biggest Sugar Ray Leonard fan - because I favor Marvin - and Ray's style was not my style - but I WILL CONCEDE that SRL ducked NOBODY. He came back valiantly against Duran in the NO MAS fight. He had heart.

But EVEN HE - waited till the fight was right FOR HIM. That's about the time it started with the match-up problems.
    Gang Way!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678