Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First practice

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    I guess I don't really understand this guy....he said Shaun Draughn was a beast and was very quick for a guy his size, but then said Jordan Lynch looked quick, but too small for a RB.

Both Shaun Draughn and Jordan Lynch are 6', but Jordan Lynch is 15 pounds heavier than Draughn....
    Actually Lynch dropped 15 pounds, heard it on the Score yesterday from Zach Zaidman - so he's down to 205 which is what Draughn weighs. Just an FYI.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

July 26 Camp Notes - From Another Website

On the second day of practice at Chicago Bears training camp, the first skirmish of the pre-season occurred.

Here are notes from the second Bears’ practice of training camp.

Lamarr Houston and Jordan Mills Go At It Again

The skirmish was between new Bears’ defensive lineman Lamarr Houston and offensive lineman Jordan Mills. Houston and Mills had heated confrontations during OTAs and that has carried over into training camp.

There are bound to be scuffles at almost every training camp in the NFL. Typically, now is the time for teammates to get that out of their system before coming together for the regular season.

Kudos to Bears’ quarterback Jay Cutler for presumably pulling Mills aside to talk about the situation. Cutler grew last season as a leader and it would appear that his growth will take him to new levels this season.

Kyle Fuller Works With The First Squad

After an impressive first practice with the Bears on Friday, first round selection Kyle Fuller worked with the first-team defense on Saturday.

Fuller likely will start the season as the Bears’ starting nickleback, but there is no question that rookie is being groomed to take over for Charles Tillman.

Jimmy Clausen and Adrian Wilson Work With Second Teams

Quarterback Jimmy Clausen and veteran safety Adrian Wilson continue their ascension through the Bears’ depth chart.

Clausen worked with the second-team offense on Saturday instead of Jordan Palmer. Clausen and Palmer are competing to be the backup to Cutler this season. Clausen played most of the snaps with the second-team offense during the first half of practice, and the quarterback delivered several strikes while making virtually no mistakes. Palmer, meanwhile, struggled with accuracy working with the third team and threw an interception to linebacker Khaseem Greene. Palmer worked with the second team later in practice and improved significantly.“

"You shouldn’t draw any conclusions by who the guy [is] that goes in there after Jay’s in there,” Trestman said. “We’re just moving people around and giving each guy a chance to work with different people and different centers and so forth.”

Wilson continues to impress the Bears as well. Wilson is competing to be one of the two starting safeties with the Bears alongside Ryan Mundy. Wilson, if healthy, could have a significant impact on the Bears’ defense this season.

Bennett and Cutler stayed after practice for Redzone Work

" What should have been a touchdown to Martellus Bennett from Jay Cutler during a red-zone drill instead became a breakup by linebacker Jonathan Bostic.Bennett and Cutler refused to let it go. So after practice, the two stood in the end zone discussing ways they could be more effective in the red zone as the rest of the team walked off the field.

Bennett explained to ESPN.com that Cutler thought he fired the pass in the end zone high enough to get it past the outstretched arms of Bostic, and into the tight end’s hands. But at 6-foot-6, Bennett said, “What might be a high pass for someone else is different than my high,” meaning his catch radius is wider than most of the team’s targets.

“We’re just trying to take the thinking process out for both of us and make it more of a reaction thing; me reacting to his throws instead of him reacting to my body,” Bennett said.

Bennett hopes the 10 minutes spent in the end zone after practice Saturday will ensure touchdowns instead of in-completions once the season starts.

Fantastic report, BM!
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Fuller worked with the 1st team because Jennings was held out.
    A man like Emery doesn't need a search firm. He is the search firm. - Jon Greenberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Fantastic report, BM!
    Fantastic report, Da Windy City!

http://dawindycity.com/2014/07/26/ch...ay-2-practice/
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Yes...a report I got from another website [as declared in my post]. But thanks again Karhu for being so wonderfully diligent

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Fantastic report, BM!
    Thanks Fiver...I combined 2 reports online and merged them into one. Is anyone else getting giddy for the season to start?

Definitely getting giddy for the season. Still seems like a ways out, even though it's not.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    Actually Lynch dropped 15 pounds, heard it on the Score yesterday from Zach Zaidman - so he's down to 205 which is what Draughn weighs. Just an FYI.
    Well that explains it. Damn inaccurate rosters....
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Couple tidbits from today's practice from Zaidman:

- Looks like Jeffery didn't practice today because of a sore foot
    - Ratliff was held out for precautionary reasons by the coaches
    - Also heard that there were a couple skirmishes again today
    - Long snapping an issue (as if we didn't know that would happen without Mannelly), and there might be some competition brought in to compete

McClellin struggled in coverage during team drills for the second day in a row. He has repeatedly shown a lack of anticipation and awareness in zone sets, and he's always a step behind in man-to-man. That's an area he must work on.
    Yet as a blitzed, McClellin has been very disruptive since the pads came on. Coordinator Mel Tucker is lining up McClellin all over the field, blitzing him from every gap. For this season at least, it appears McClellin's biggest impact will come as a pass rusher with a head of steam.

-For the first three days of camp, S Adrian Wilson split his reps between the second and third teams. Today, he worked almost exclusively alongside M.D. Jennings and Danny McCray with the second team.
    It took Wilson just four practices to elevate up the depth chart. You wonder how long it will take before he starts challenging current starters Ryan Mundy and Brock Vereen.

So far, none of the three have had an answer for Lamarr Houston when he slides inside to defensive tackle. Britton struggled yesterday containing Houston, which resulted in a demotion, yet neither Ola nor de la Puente had any more luck today. I would argue Houston looks just as good at defensive tackle, if not better, as he does playing defensive end. He's undersized inside but he makes up for it with quick feet, a powerful upper body, strong hands and an effective swim move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearmagic View Post
    9.) Shaun Draughn on the other hand looked pretty beastly and was the 2nd best Running Back besides Forte today. Deceptively quick for a guy his size. Great hustle. Made a great juke for a big man.
    been a while since i've been in here....

Shaun Draughn has KC Chief ties with Emery, i believe. there were times when J. Charles was hurt, and this guy came in and did a very fine job as his replacement - not on J charles' level, but better than most back-up the Chiefs had in the past.

then, for some stupid reason, they (new GM, Dorsey) let him go and have drafted RBs in the early-middle rounds the past 2 years instead of players they needed.

you guys landed a nice player for depth, although i hope Ka'deem Carey shows some promise, as i just took him in a dynasty league (very late, but still took him).

Thanks for the details, IHT; I always liked Draughn myself. Nice signing.

And welcome back, Dale Moss, AKA 2012's Jeff Janis. I can't imagine that we'd have signed him if we didn't trust his work ethic--he had a cup of coffee with us a year or two ago. If he can settle in (he only played a year at SDSU, if memory serves), not a bad flutter.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Eben Britton was carted off today after a 1 on 1 drill against Ratliff. Hope it's not too serious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast