Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To reiterate:

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Not to push for a change...

Definitely prefer PPR.

I think we need to look at the DS costs

I like the concept of the DS but the costs are out of whack.

For example I've got a RB (Turbin) who I drafted in the 2nd round and is in his 3rd year now and I've been patiently stashing him until he gets his opportunity which could be next year. Problem is by then he's in his 4th year and he's gonna cost me 60% of the RB Franchise Tag amount ($22,071), that's an insane amount of money to have to allocate to an unproven back. I mean even if you promote them in their 3rd year that's 45% of the tag amount ($16,553), what are the odds that a rookie RB is gonna be worth that much in year 3?

I think we need to look at these amounts, I don't see how they reward owners who draft well and show a little patience
    "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man" - Jack Handy

While I agree to an extent, I'd argue you're using it wrong putting RBs drafting in the second round down there in the first place.

Yeah, I dunno if the amount should increase by 10/15% each year...it does get quite expensive pretty quickly.

The prices are a bit hefty.
    When does the year tick over for guys on the DS? Is it before or after the off season PS/DS designations?

While I agree to an extent, I'd argue you're using it wrong putting RBs drafting in the second round down there in the first place.
    You'd lose that argument - the DS was pretty much invented for guys like Turbin. Another agreement here, costs are way out of whack. The 1 in 100 chance of someone getting a bargain off their DS isn't worth all the longshot average players who have to be overpaid to become useable.

Yeah the DS should be set up to allow any position to be stashed
    "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man" - Jack Handy

I agree that the current DS rules make it tough to stash a RB. If we do make a change I think we should consider making the DS only available for 3rd round picks or maybe just making 3rd round picks a lot cheaper and leaving 2nd round picks the same.

I also think the change should not be retroactive. It should only apply to players drafted in the 2015 draft or later. I've consciously not drafted late round RB's because I felt the value wasn't there if I put them on the DS. I don't like the idea of bailing out the owners who drafted players under a different set of rules.

I'd be OK with 3rd round only. That's part of the whole "let's take this guy and say a prayer he's worth something 3 years now" idea, while 2nd rounders can usually be expected to be something a little earlier.

Definitely agreed with no retroactive changes. Always gotta adapt and move forward. Can't worry about the past.

Agreed on not being retroactive

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBones View Post
    I also think the change should not be retroactive. It should only apply to players drafted in the 2015 draft or later. I've consciously not drafted late round RB's because I felt the value wasn't there if I put them on the DS. I don't like the idea of bailing out the owners who drafted players under a different set of rules.
    That's exactly the point I was getting at previously. If rules are X, then draft accordingly, until the rules change. The rules beget the strategy, not the other way around.

I hesitantly put Crowell on my DS, fully anticipating that I would either promote or cut him within that first-year window. Putting Sims on the DS was never a consideration, and I wouldn't have put Crowell on the DS, if I thought he could be a guy that would develop 3-4 years down the line. Fortunately, RBs typically show you pretty early on if they've got a shot to make it.

Maybe look at salary structure used in KFFL. In other words, 20% guaranteed becomes an optional bonus, instead of automatically being attached to every contract.
    Something really needs to happen here. If not a full shift to KFFL's bonus structure, then at least adjusting cap hits, so the first year of a contract is entirely applied to the current season.

Oh, this came up in a game thread a while back but...

Special teams scoring on individual players. Currently, you can be penalized for a fumble, but not rewarded for return yardage or TDs. Whether we should add return yardage to individual players is certainly something for discussion, but it doesn't make sense that a player can be penalized for something that happens on a play they cannot score points on. Also, we currently have no scoring for ST return TDs.

That's exactly the point I was getting at previously. If rules are X, then draft accordingly, until the rules change. The rules beget the strategy, not the other way around.

I hesitantly put Crowell on my DS, fully anticipating that I would either promote or cut him within that first-year window. Putting Sims on the DS was never a consideration, and I wouldn't have put Crowell on the DS, if I thought he could be a guy that would develop 3-4 years down the line. Fortunately, RBs typically show you pretty early on if they've got a shot to make it.
    Yeah I did the same with Lamar Miller...I pretty much have gone into the draft knowing that I'd either have to roster a late RB selection or promote him after the first year and knowing that QB or TE selections are much better long-term DS prospects. And I've drafted accordingly.

One potential solution is to use the transition tag value in the calculation instead of the franchise tag....and I'd still argue the percentages could/should be tweaked.

I still prefer being able to DS a 2nd or 3rd round pick....with higher percentages associated with 2nd rounders.
    Last edited by rjohmit; 11-18-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12