Oldest Starting Defense Ever?

IF the starters look like this:

S: A. Wilson, R. Mundy
    CB: Tillman, Jennings
    LB: McCelllen, DJ Williams, L. Briggs
    DL: J. Allen, J. Ratliff, S. Paea, L. Houston

Which is quite possible...

Then the average age of this defense will be Over 32 years old.

That must be some kind of record.

Even if you replaced Safety Wilson (35) with Rookie Brock VEreen (22) that would only lower the starters average to 31. Again, that too must be a record.
    Last edited by The Kaiser; 07-24-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post

Even if you replaced Safety Wilson (35) with Rookie Brock VEreen (22) that would only lower the starters average to 31. Again, that too much be a record.
    For the bears maybe; for the NFL I imagine some of those Raven defenses were up there.

That said I think Sutton's going to be starting for us sooner than later. Possibly Vereen too.
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets

I did some quick searching and found this:

Football Outsiders article they reference their almanac where apparently they claim that the Steelers had a chance, going into the 2010 season, at being the oldest starting defensive lineup of the century with an average age of 30.5.

We're talking about over 32 or possibly 31 in all likelihood. Things can change during camp of course but.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post

Even if you replaced Safety Wilson (35) with Rookie Brock VEreen (22) that would only lower the starters average to 31. Again, that too must be a record.
    Wow.
    Very interesting.

I had some puzzlement and doubts about replacing Peppers with another old guy like Allen, but overall, I was still thinking they'd gotten somewhat younger. Even though I don't expect Wilson to start, that still doesn't seem as true as I thought.

There is, however, at least young pipeline talent who may be ready to step in when they fade, unlike last year, when the bench sucked...and had to play anyway.

The shopping list for next year isn't nearly as long or desperate. LB, probably S are the only likely urgents I see.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Fascinating stuff. Good diggin', Kaiser.

That said, we've staged things pretty nicely. The vets give us some stability after the annus horribilis, and give the pups a chance to work into their roles.

Allen (32) -> Bass (23) / Young (28)
    Ratliff (32) -> Sutton (22)
    Paea (26) -> Ferguson (22)
    Briggs (33) -> Bostic? (23)
    Tillman (33) -> Fuller (22)
    Jennings (30) -> Wilson? (24)
    Williams (32) -> Jones? (23)

That's really not a bad group in the second column. Some will disappoint, others will surprise (and take pressure off the vets starting this year). The vets give us a chance to evaluate the kids honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    The shopping list for next year isn't nearly as long or desperate. LB, probably S are the only likely urgents I see.
    Yep, which really excites me. Add offense, and we're looking almost exclusively for non-premium positions: LB, S, C, TE. Backup QB if Fales fails. Maybe CB, though I love Wilson's physical skills. Figure we'll have an honest chance at adding a superior prospect at one of those positions in the next draft.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Just double checked my math..I made an error the avg age of that line up is not just over 32 but just over 30. Still old but not record setting-- which is not a bad thing.