Sen John Walsh: Plagiarism Isn't the Worst Part

So this is bad:

But one of the highest-profile credentials of Mr. Walsh’s 33-year military career appears to have been improperly attained. An examination of the final paper required for Mr. Walsh’s master’s degree from the United States Army War College indicates the senator appropriated at least a quarter of his thesis on American Middle East policy from other authors’ works, with no attribution.

Mr. Walsh completed the paper, what the War College calls a “strategy research project,” to earn his degree in 2007, when he was 46. The sources of the material he presents as his own include academic papers, policy journal essays and books that are almost all available online.

Most strikingly, the six recommendations Mr. Walsh laid out at the conclusion of his 14-page paper, titled “The Case for Democracy as a Long Term National Strategy,” are taken nearly word-for-word without attribution from a Carnegie Endowment for International Peace document on the same topic.
    but this is just shameful:

On Wednesday, a campaign aide for Mr. Walsh did not contest the apparent plagiarism but suggested that it be viewed in the context of the senator’s long career. She said Mr. Walsh had been going through a difficult period at the time he wrote the paper, noting that one of the members of his unit from Iraq had committed suicide in 2007, weeks before the assignment was due.

The aide said Mr. Walsh, who served in Iraq from November 2004 to November 2005, had “dealt with the experience of post-deployment,” but said he had not sought treatment.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/us...ed-thesis.html
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Bonehead.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

http://blogs.wsj.com/eurocrisis/2013...iarism-claims/

This kind of thing is a huge problem in Germany, where PhDs are widely-sought status symbols.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...c-2233667.html

Saif Gaddafi was a major politician/plagiarist, in part because it seemed that the London School of Economics was complicit.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Lame. But seems pretty insignificant in the context of the crap politicians do.

So grieving over the loss of a comrade causes one to steal other people's work? Sounds good to me.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

It says as much about Walsh as about the Army War College. The first should be condemned for his theft, the latter should probably have discovered it (and done something about it).
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Bonehead is appropriate. Dude needs a character makeover.
    I promise I won't do it again

Looks like the Dems shot themselves in the foot this time. Instead of appointing a placeholder who agreed not to run, they appointed someone ready to run for reelection only nine months later.

Of course his college record probably doesn't matter now (I'm guessing) but it sure is a bombshell in the middle of a campaign.

Tip of the cap to Republican opposition research.

Now they have to either weather this or rush a replacement in there. Not good either way.
    Last edited by RayClay; 07-24-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.