The world is becoming a scary place, infection-wise, in my opinion.
- Antibiotics are losing effectiveness.
- Drug companies can't make much money finding new ones.
- Some diseases are of course viral and not treatable by antibiotics.
- Infected people travel around the world more easily than ever before.
In just three examples of news that gives me pause:
- http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0FS10V20140723 Sierra Leone's top Ebola-fighting doctor has gotten Ebola.
- My wife tells me that mosquitoes bearing a fatal disease have spread to our state (MA). By the way, where we live it's pretty impossible to avoid multiple mosquito bites each summer.
- MERS is now conjectured to be airborne.