Infectious diseases

The world is becoming a scary place, infection-wise, in my opinion.

• Antibiotics are losing effectiveness.
    • Drug companies can't make much money finding new ones.
    • Some diseases are of course viral and not treatable by antibiotics.
    • Infected people travel around the world more easily than ever before.

In just three examples of news that gives me pause:
    • http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0FS10V20140723 Sierra Leone's top Ebola-fighting doctor has gotten Ebola.
    • My wife tells me that mosquitoes bearing a fatal disease have spread to our state (MA). By the way, where we live it's pretty impossible to avoid multiple mosquito bites each summer.
    • MERS is now conjectured to be airborne.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

I tend to agree, but let me say: diseases tend to peter out as they spread through a population. And mosquitos don't travel more than a few hundred feet from where they hatch, so spray yo' sh1t, people.

I was reading an article on Yahoo! this AM about the bubonic plague (a.k.a. black plague that killed millions in the 1300's) spreading in a city of 30,000 residents in China. The Chinese have quarantined the entire city and aren't letting anyone in or out. An expert was saying that the bubonic plague is easily curable/contained and that the Chinese were either overreacting OR hiding something much worse......
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    I was reading an article on Yahoo! this AM about the bubonic plague (a.k.a. black plague that killed millions in the 1300's) spreading in a city of 30,000 residents in China. The Chinese have quarantined the entire city and aren't letting anyone in or out. An expert was saying that the bubonic plague is easily curable/contained and that the Chinese were either overreacting OR hiding something much worse......
    Yep... but on some level, this is just mother nature thinning out the weak/stupid.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/china-s...631352972.html
    Other reports said that earlier this month the 38-year-old victim had found a dead marmot, a small furry animal which lives on grasslands and is related to the squirrel.

He chopped it up to feed his dog but developed a fever the same day. He was taken to hospital after his condition worsened and died last Wednesday.
    and

Cases occasionally emerge in China. A villager who found a dead marmot and ate it with other residents of Litang in Sichuan province, in the southwest, died of the disease in September 2012, a newspaper run by the health ministry reported.
    To APF's OP, yeah the world is getting more powerful germs and they can spread faster. I used to work at SunGard and we had a Pandemic Planning Service, part of our Business Continuity Practice. It really can happen fast, the spread of a plague/pandemic, but its also something we're watching pretty closely to contain it. Either way, scary stuff.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Also, I hear the Bird Flu has hit Disneyland.

"What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Plastic sheeting and duct tape.
    I promise I won't do it again

Not really, but the media is certainly a lot more capable of making it seem that way than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    Also, I hear the Bird Flu has hit Disneyland.

hahahah nice

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post

• http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0FS10V20140723 Sierra Leone's top Ebola-fighting doctor has gotten Ebola.
    • My wife tells me that mosquitoes bearing a fatal disease have spread to our state (MA). By the way, where we live it's pretty impossible to avoid multiple mosquito bites each summer.
    If you really want to worry yourself, read Frank Herbert's lesser known book, 'White Plague.' Tailor made designer diseases.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post

just drink water and smoke weed (Walshie) and take cheesy's special vitamins. You'll never get sick but instead cure others you just happen to walk past.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Colloidal silver and half a brain will take you far.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Heh, I'd thought about dropping a colloidal silver post...
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Heh, I'd thought about dropping a colloidal silver post...
    Me too. FWFW's ignorant post compelled me to take action.

Not like colloidal silver is documented and observed to kill every single unicellular pathogen that exists or anything.....
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    Me too. FWFW's ignorant hilarious post compelled me to take action.
    ftfy
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error