This coming season

It is a weird feeling I have from the coming season
    after watching NFL AM they pointed out all that We have going for us like 100% of a impressive offense back for the second year in the same System and this for Cutler is a huge deal .
    How We have so much improvement on defense but I am still not expecting as much as I did when we hired Thresman .

It feel like everyone else in our division as improved as much as we did
    I will watch the NFC north brake down tonight at 7 pm on NFL network

What are your honest expectation for the coming season ?

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    what are your honest expectation for the coming season ?
    Da....Superbowl....

Quote Originally Posted by Bearmagic View Post
    Da....Superbowl....
    I want to be on this ride so bad !!!!
    I do have great expectation but I am a very poor gauge ,since I always have huge expectation year after year

I don't like jinxing anything, but I haven't felt this good about a Bears roster since maybe going into the 2006 season. I love the direction of the offense under Trestman but I'm not as enthused about the defense with Mel Tucker leading the way. I'm skeptical about him being a competent defensive coordinator and am looking forward to seeing him implement his defense as opposed to adopting Lovie's last year. I like some of the personnel and coaching additions to the defense - but it can't be any worse than last year, can it? It should be pretty easy to "improve" on defense when the bar wasn't set particularly high last season.

Just like the rest of the 31 teams in the league, injuries will play a major factor in how far this team will go. I do feel as if the Packers have the slight edge to the division because Aaron Rodgers is so good, however, I do think the Bears land a wild card playoff berth. We'll see how it shakes out.
    Last edited by DaSuperfan; 07-23-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Their reasonable best case scenario is really high - much higher than it's been since maybe 2006.
    So I was thinking of investing some money on the W/L over.

But there's some major pitfalls, too.
    A mess at LB
    All question marks at S
    It's entirely possible Mel Tucker is a clown
    Lots of new starters or rookies at the lead ST positions
    And most importantly, Cutler hasn't been overly durable lately, and backups are very unproven.
    http://forums.kffl.com/threads/31196...35#post6417735

The last part is what really steered me away from dropping any digicash.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

i am cautiously optimistic.

i'm not expecting the defense to improve much beyond the mid-to-low twenties, but i do think they'll stop the run much better. improvement against the pass will likely be more incremental.

on the other side, most of the defenses the Bears face this year are (statistically, anyway) more formidable than most of the ones they faced last season. equal numbers this season would in fact be an improvement.

as in past seasons, the road to the playoffs runs up US Highway 41.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

As is often the case, it will come down to health. A few bad injuries here or there and the season could be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post

i'm not expecting the defense to improve much beyond the mid-to-low twenties, but i do think they'll stop the run much better. improvement against the pass will likely be more incremental.

on the other side, most of the defenses the Bears face this year are (statistically, anyway) more formidable than most of the ones they faced last season. equal numbers this season would in fact be an improvement.

as in past seasons, the road to the playoffs runs up US Highway 41.
    I agree with "cautiously optimistic". Although I see teams running at Jared Allen a lot.

Our offense was very good last year. But we had no significant injuries--and yes, that includes Cutler, because his replacement did very, very well. However, I would bet my house that our backup QBs won't be able to do what Josh McCown did. How will we survive a Marshall injury? Or Forte? Or Bennett? Or a starting O-linemen or two? If you factor in the positive of running the same system going into a 2nd year to along with an expected number of injuries, our offense should be very good again. If everything goes right, we could be at or near the top.

On Defense, I see one MAJOR improvement. That's Lamarr Houston in place of Shea Mac at LDE. Jared Allen in place of Peppers is a wash to me, a pass rush plus and a run D minus. Our DTs are the same, although hopefully with better depth. Our LBs are the same outside of Shea/Bostic in place of the competent, if unspectacular James Anderson at SAM, which is a real hope and pray unknown. We also can't forget that it's no longer the T2 defense. So is soon to be 34-year old Lance Briggs going to be as effective doing different things at this point in his career? At CB, having Kyle Fuller in the mix should be an overall upgrade, even if Tillman's shoulder gets nicked again. S is not exciting, but at least it should be no worse than last year, even if it may not be much better. Even with no changes at all, the D should be better than last year because of the ridiculous number of injuries. But I don't see that vast of an improvement made personnel-wise. If all the cards fall right, we could be around 10th in defense. But I'm expecting more like 20th, particularly when you factor in that the whole defensive emphasis is changing.

So what do you get with a top 25% offense and a marginally less than average defense? A wild card team.
    Last edited by Mikefive; 07-23-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

I'll be happy with 11-5 and a divisional championship (in a division that's going to at least rival the NFCW this year for sheer brutality). Anything less will have to be down to a biblical plague of injuries like we had last year, or I'll be furious.

So much depends on our DTs, particularly the guys who ought to be our stoutest run-stoppers. Paea's been a cipher so far, and I absolutely hated the little video I saw of Ferguson over minicamp. Each of those guys gets to go against an excellent guard and a...center in TC, which'll give them a chance to hone their chops against better competition than they'll face most weeks during the season. If they take advantage, then we're back to a very comfortable place on D, where our opponents all know that the weakside is their best bet to run the ball, and we know it too. That alone represents several steps toward containing the run, which is the price of the ticket for forcing teams to throw on what ought to be a very good pass D.

The offense will be fine. I'm not expecting another quantum leap, but I do see us keeping teams on their heels more consistently and for longer. More than anything, I'm really looking forward to seeing a team out there for once. ST setting the table for the D, which sets up the O, which does its thing and puts pressure on the other team's ST and D...when everything clicks, it's beautiful. And not every piece has to be great. The D probably won't be. But I'm expecting it to contribute to something much, much greater than the sum of its parts.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

I'm torn. I believe this is probably the most talented Bears team we've seen since the 80's. I really like our offseason, and am hopeful that our front 7 on defense and safeties will be about average. Meaning our defense overall will be at least average given I expect very good corner play.

I also believe in this coaching staff.

The biggest hurdle is a stacked NFC. I see at least 6 teams that would be reasonable SB contenders in the AFC: Seattle, SF, GB, Chicago, New Orleans, Arizona and perhaps Carolina (who I see taking 2 steps back). And a handful of other teams with better than a puncher's chance to beat anyone on any given Sunday: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa, Atlanta and the rest of the NFC East. Hell, is there a team I haven't named?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    Me as well. Regardless, this team must make the Playoffs. Anything less is a massive failure IMHO.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Yea it was nice to see a good offence last year but I also didn't wanted Mel Tucker back(esp after the Eagles game), But if he isn't a clown then 10-6 could happen

We have to hang in there however as the front part of our schedule is mega tough.

The Mel Tucker thing though injuries are no excuse yet Mel gets that as a pass, bothers me