San Diego Chargers: can't win in softball either

This story is hilarious. Apparently a bunch of players joined a softball league, including Phillip Rivers, who plays shortstop. They were pretty good, but they lost to a team called the Randy Jones Invitational made up of a bunch of skinny and fat dudes.

After two innings, Randy Jones Invitational realized the Chargers' four-man outfield was incomprehensibly fast. "Pretty sure Weddle and Stuckey could play the entire outfield by themselves," said Adam Balun, a golf-course employee who plays left field.

At one point, Weddle tagged up from second on a relatively shallow fly ball and easily beat Gandy's throw to third. As Gandy jogged to the dugout after the inning, Weddle asked him a question: "You didn't really think you could throw me out, did you?"

Facing the swift outfield, Randy Jones Invitational came up with a new plan: Hit ground balls. The strategy instantly revealed a weakness. "Rivers is a horrible shortstop," Balun said.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-c...hatsNewsSecond

Don't underestimate guys who play these leagues.

There's team where I'm from pull of ex pros (well, as far as that goes in fast pitch anyway) who like to drink beer and do not look like athletes at all (fast pitch). They throw major heat too.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

I like to call Rivers the "Baby Giraffe" because that's what he looks like when he has to do anything athletic. Doesn't surprise me that he is a horrible SS. I wouldn't even have him at probably the most important position on the field.

Pretty cool story. I think it is awesome that they joined a rec softball rule.

Never heard of the one up rule before and I played softball for 20 years.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Softball is a different game.....not surprised at this one bit...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Softball is a different game.....not surprised at this one bit...
    Yeah, I play in a beer league and there are fat guys that hit a HR almost every time they get up to the plate...

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed One View Post
    Yeah, I play in a beer league and there are fat guys that hit a HR almost every time they get up to the plate...
    Yep, it's all hitting basically...then you just get 3 fast kids for the outfield and a good short stop...the rest can be fat guys that hit the ball wherever they wanna it go...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx