Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nope, simply pragmatism over stupidity. Turning $5M down is incredibly stupid, even if you have to swallow your pride or fire your agent.

Next year the first overall pick should be offered a $25 gift card to Hobby Lobby...and just be happy to get even that!
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Yeah, I would definitely compare $5M to $25.

The vast majority of professional baseball players play the game for very little and will never make more than a tiny fraction of what he was offered.

You are going to have to work pretty hard to convince me to feel sorry for him. Sign for $5M and move on with your life.

If you had $6.5MM and someone stole $1.5MM from you, I'm guessing you'd probably notice that and not just move on with your life.

Nobody's asking you to feel sorry for him, but that doesn't mean he should just STFU and take less than he thinks he's worth, either. Especially considering they initially offered him the higher amount. You interview for a job and they offer it you at one pay rate, and then decide later in the process they only want to pay you 3/4 that amount you gonna just smile and say "hey, whatever?" OK.
    Last edited by Underdog; 07-23-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    You are going to have to work pretty hard to convince me to feel sorry for him. Sign for $5M and move on with your life.
    So instead you want us to feel bad for the owners of the Astro's?

The MLB recommended $7.8 million (if I remember correctly), that is the standard that they have set for a player drafted first overall. He had already agreed to an amount below slot at $6.5 million, then they decided to try to bend him over a barrel and force him to take less. Maybe the Astro's just should have offered the recommended amount and moved on with THEIR lives.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

I never asked you to feel bad for the owners at all. If you don't want this jerking around on both sides (usually to the benefit of the player), then have the UNION demand a real slotting system with no real negotiation similar to the NFL, NBA, etc.

If you want to jerk people and teams around and let agents and teenagers manipulate crap, go with what you have.

The idea that someone 'stole' $1.5M from him is really stupid. The system is horrible and the agents/players generally are the ones who do not want to change it. NO ONE is owed or guaranteed anything under the current system. He never 'had' $6.5M or even 1 penny. Both sides negotiate whatever they THINK is fair (not required to do anything) and he obvious didn't want to take it, which makes him an idiot in my book.

Comparing pro sports to real life is massively stupid. And BTW, that scenario happens quite a bit, salaries are negotiated and you take what you can get if you have no options. If have have options, you go elsewhere. People get asked to take a pay cut ALL THE TIME in real life. Really dumb idea to try to compare MLB to the real world.

Comparing pro sports to real life is massively stupid.
    It's funny because that's exactly what you're doing by saying he should've just been happy with the $5MM because, hey, it's still a lot more money than most people get in real life...

I never asked you to feel bad for the owners at all. If you don't want this jerking around on both sides (usually to the benefit of the player), then have the UNION demand a real slotting system with no real negotiation similar to the NFL, NBA, etc.

If you want to jerk people and teams around and let agents and teenagers manipulate crap, go with what you have.

The idea that someone 'stole' $1.5M from him is really stupid. The system is horrible and the agents/players generally are the ones who do not want to change it. NO ONE is owed or guaranteed anything under the current system. He never 'had' $6.5M or even 1 penny. Both sides negotiate whatever they THINK is fair (not required to do anything) and he obvious didn't want to take it, which makes him an idiot in my book.

Comparing pro sports to real life is massively stupid. And BTW, that scenario happens quite a bit, salaries are negotiated and you take what you can get if you have no options. If have have options, you go elsewhere. People get asked to take a pay cut ALL THE TIME in real life. Really dumb idea to try to compare MLB to the real world.
    Except he and the Astros already had a verbal agreement on the 6.5 mil.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    It's funny because that's exactly what you're doing by saying he should've just been happy with the $5MM because, hey, it's still a lot more money than most people get in real life...
    Meaning that he is a....human? Yeah, all humans should be happy with $5M.

I'm talking about real jobs and things that are outside of sports.

Q, verbal agreements don't mean squat.

The law generally disagrees with you. There are only a small handful of contracts that have to be in writing.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Meaning that he is a....human? Yeah, all humans should be happy with $5M.

I'm talking about real jobs and things that are outside of sports.
    So it's stupid to draw comparisons between sports and real life. Except when you do it. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    The law generally disagrees with you. There are only a small handful of contracts that have to be in writing.
    It means nothing in MLB terms. Nothing. The contract has to be signed and until then anyone can back out.

It still means they reneged on a deal.

It would still destroy any trust you'd have with the organization.

Now the kid can go to JUCO, destroy kids and go top 5 again next year. Probably get more money since Rodon got more money at 3 than the astros were offering.

- Ghandi

That is fine, I don't have an issue with any of that. I just don't feel sorry for any of them......too bad. Get a better system and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    It still means they reneged on a deal.

It would still destroy any trust you'd have with the organization.

Now the kid can go to JUCO, destroy kids and go top 5 again next year. Probably get more money since Rodon got more money at 3 than the astros were offering.
    Pretty hard to argue he got screwed if you believe this.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12