Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well the Astros were on the right side of questioning the health of Aiken's elbow, anyway.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    The Astros agreed on 6.5 mil...
    Unless I'm missing something, that's what they initially offered, but before he signed (i.e., no agreement), they lowered their offer based on concerns about his elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, that's what they initially offered, but before he signed (i.e., no agreement), they lowered their offer based on concerns about his elbow.
    verbal agreements
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    verbal agreements
    Any type of agreement requires the offeree to accept. I'm not seeing anywhere in what you linked that Aiken agreed to those terms. From that article...

1) Astros offered $6.5M
    2) ??
    3) Astros rescinded offer for $6.5M and posed a new offer for less

What happened at #2 is what matters, but that article provides no real insight there. Maybe the Astros negotiated in bad faith, or maybe Aiken/agent were holding out for more and got caught being greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Well the Astros were on the right side of questioning the health of Aiken's elbow, anyway.
    I wonder what will happen to him now? I anticipate he will still go in the first round, but obviously much later and that might pose a challenge as he will probably want over slot money.

I wonder though about whether he could end up becoming a FA down the line should he be drafted again and not sign with the club that drafted him, and then not play for a year as he recovered from surgery. No matter what it is an odd path for a #1 overall pick.
    Last edited by Fandango; 03-27-2015 at 11:38 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Lot of speculation the Sox will take him at 7. I doubt he goes any lower than Giolito did.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    I wonder what will happen to him now? I anticipate he will still go in the first round, but obviously much later and that might pose a challenge as he will probably want over slot money.

I wonder though about whether he could end up becoming a FA down the line should he be drafted again and not sign with the club that drafted him, and then not play for a year as he recovered from surgery. No matter what it is an odd path for a #1 overall pick.
    A guy in his position went 9th in this past draft.

I think he'll end in Boston. They're the type of team that would throw money at him to ensure they get a premium talent.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Q and UD, that makes sense that Boston would take him. However, what would happen if he was drafted and didn't sign? Does he go back into the draft again...isn't there some point where he can become a FA?

I am probably confusing MLB draftee rules with other sports though...because I am quite sure that is the case with the NBA (if you don't play professional basketball for a year after getting drafted you are a FA.
    Last edited by Fandango; Yesterday at 01:16 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Q and UD, that makes sense that Boston would take him. However, what would happen if he was drafted and didn't sign? Does he go back into the draft again...isn't there some point where he can become a FA?
    Well if he stayed at his JUCO then he could eligible the next year, and if he went to a 4 year school he wouldn't be eligible until 2017.

- Ghandi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123