Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    I remember having my worldview altered a huge amount when I was a kid, I'd always been the precocious youngster getting into adult conversations... anyway, we were living in Australia, I was nine or ten, and we met some expat Hungarians who'd fled the nation just prior to the tanks rolling into Budapest. The got quite angry with me for wanting to discuss the universal goodness of humanity. For them all Russians were evil.

Prodded some interesting discussions with my parents after.
    Well the last thing you want to do as a parent is crush any optimism in your child at the age of nine or ten!

Certainly a people don't want to repeat the same mistakes but I think we'd all be better off if we'd let go of many of our "grudges" from hundreds of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post
    Well the last thing you want to do as a parent is crush any optimism in your child at the age of nine or ten!

Certainly a people don't want to repeat the same mistakes but I think we'd all be better off if we'd let go of many of our "grudges" from hundreds of years ago.
    Well in fairness to the Hungarian couple, this was still fairly fresh. This would have been '74 or so? So eighteen years later...

Of course one of the reasons that the Soviets were so harsh in Hungary was Hungary's part in the Nazi invasion of 1941.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

The Russians are a tough crew, any way you slice it. After watching the film EASTERN PROMISES with Viggo Mortenson I read up on the Russian Gangster way of life (I'm no expert, just Wiki and some articles). Those guys have a code and it makes the Cosa Nostra look like a beach party. They are not - in ANY WAY - to cooperate with authorities. They won't work in prison, they won't even ring the dinner bell. Stalin let them out if they'd fight in the war - afterwards those who survived, he put them right back in. Those who cooperated and fought for the Russian government were now mortal enemies to those who adhered to the code and refused. The Guards would pit them against each for fun. I suppose that was Stalin's idea of having some fun, with a little 'safety net' - most people he didn't care for he just had 'purged'. The Russians have a long, brutal history, so if you ever have to deal with one you best not forget that. They practically personify the term 'the spoils of war'.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    The Russians are a tough crew, any way you slice it. After watching the film EASTERN PROMISES with Viggo Mortenson I read up on the Russian Gangster way of life (I'm no expert, just Wiki and some articles). Those guys have a code and it makes the Cosa Nostra look like a beach party. They are not - in ANY WAY - to cooperate with authorities. They won't work in prison, they won't even ring the dinner bell. Stalin let them out if they'd fight in the war - afterwards those who survived, he put them right back in. Those who cooperated and fought for the Russian government were now mortal enemies to those who adhered to the code and refused. The Guards would pit them against each for fun. I suppose that was Stalin's idea of having some fun, with a little 'safety net' - most people he didn't care for he just had 'purged'. The Russians have a long, brutal history, so if you ever have to deal with one you best not forget that. They practically personify the term 'the spoils of war'.
    Great movie. I'm sure they are a scary bunch.

I remember around memorial day, History channel put on this "World Wars" special. Excellent series, and if you get a chance to watch it, do.

In there, Colin Powell said something to this effect: "Russians distance themselves from anyone that has a different opinion. They don't want suggestions. They can't be reasoned with... In my military career, I had to shake hands with a lot of pigs"

Yeah, the Russians are bad ass in almost everything they do....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819