Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I guess my approach this year is to load up on WR potential. The guys that did well in the playoffs last year had guys like Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffery, Josh Gordon, etc. My thinking is if I load up at RB and/or TE, and target 5 WRs that are on these breakout lists, I'm bound to hit on 2 of them and have the others at least as serviceable flex options. Not only is that trying to play the trends, but those guys are all really cheap in auction drafts right now. I'm pretty high on Patterson and Crabtree and would be fine with them as my WR1 and WR2 as long as my RB1/RB2 and FL1 FL2 are guys like Martin/AP/Morris/Bell, etc. and my backup WRs are just as capable of breaking out as my WR1/WR2 in guys like Wright, Floyd and Hopkins/Tate/Stills

Quote Originally Posted by jmuSkinsfan View Post
    Okay, so taking into account your advice I've created two "mock rosters" that fit under my cap pretty comfortably, leaving room to account for unexpected fluctuation. These numbers are based on my keeper cost for them and what their value is for our league.

Team 1:
    QB: RGIII, Jay Cutler
    RB: Adrian Peterson, Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, Le'Veon Bell, Christine Michael
    WR: Michael Crabtree, Cordarelle Patterson, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Golden Tate
    TE: Rob Gronkowski, Zach Ertz
    $205 of $230 cap utilized

Team 2:
    QB: RGIII, Jay Cutler
    RB: Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, Le'Veon Bell, Pierre Thomas, Christine Michael
    WR: Jordy Nelson, Michael Crabtree, Cordarelle Patterson, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd
    TE: Jimmy Graham, Zach Ertz

$219 of $230 cap spent
    RB:
    Well my point was more that you could get Ertz for a lot less than the top TEs and still be fine at TE all the while saving 30 bucks to add another top WR or RB.

As for the two teams above AP>Jordy, but I would prefer a team with both of them and Ertz as my TE.

I guess my approach this year is to load up on WR potential. The guys that did well in the playoffs last year had guys like Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffery, Josh Gordon, etc. My thinking is if I load up at RB and/or TE, and target 5 WRs that are on these breakout lists, I'm bound to hit on 2 of them and have the others at least as serviceable flex options. Not only is that trying to play the trends, but those guys are all really cheap in auction drafts right now. I'm pretty high on Patterson and Crabtree and would be fine with them as my WR1 and WR2 as long as my RB1/RB2 and FL1 FL2 are guys like Martin/AP/Morris/Bell, etc. and my backup WRs are just as capable of breaking out as my WR1/WR2 in guys like Wright, Floyd and Hopkins/Tate/Stills
    I think the guys that did well added Allen, Jeffery, Gordon to their WR corps and didn't build it around those guys. I wouldn't want to go to battle with Patterson and Crabtree as my WR1 and WR2. They're more like 2s and 3s and if they turn into 1s (in terms of production) then you really have a stacked roster then.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    I think the guys that did well added Allen, Jeffery, Gordon to their WR corps and didn't build it around those guys. I wouldn't want to go to battle with Patterson and Crabtree as my WR1 and WR2. They're more like 2s and 3s and if they turn into 1s (in terms of production) then you really have a stacked roster then.
    Okay, this is definitely a fair point. I guess my thinking is if I get 5 WRs who I think are all capable of breaking out, and stack my RB and TE positions, I will be fine in the end. I can see being more comfortable going with a true WR1 like Jordy Nelson or Julio Jones to set the position, then draft 4 WRs that fit that breakout mold.

Graham has carried me over the last two years, whereas I really feel as though AP can't do much better than he did last year when he ranked #10. For me, If I'm going to pay $45 to keep AP and view that as a "steal" I need him to finish Top 5 at least, and I'm just not sure he can do that at this point in his career. I'd rather sell him for $15 to someone else who sees that name and thinks stud ... and let them deal with that risk.

I'm in a position to keep two players who I not only would want to build my team around, but can also "save money" and get them for "value" the way our keepers are set up. So yeah, ordinarily, I'd have no problem keeping AP for $45 and taking that risk, but because I have Bell ($20 to keep going for $46), Graham ($41 to keep going for $62) and Nelson ($20 to keep going for $38) I have to actually think about AP ($45 to keep going for $67).

Bell's YPC worries me but he's a strength for PPR, even in my .5 league. I guess I'm lucky in that I have multiple options to consider for keepers ... but the more I analyze it the more I see faults in each of them. Blech. At least I have another month to decide haha.
    Last edited by jmuSkinsfan; 07-18-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Okay, this is definitely a fair point. I guess my thinking is if I get 5 WRs who I think are all capable of breaking out, and stack my RB and TE positions, I will be fine in the end. I can see being more comfortable going with a true WR1 like Jordy Nelson or Julio Jones to set the position, then draft 4 WRs that fit that breakout mold.

Graham has carried me over the last two years, whereas I really feel as though AP can't do much better than he did last year when he ranked #10. For me, If I'm going to pay $45 to keep AP and view that as a "steal" I need him to finish Top 5 at least, and I'm just not sure he can do that at this point in his career. I'd rather sell him for $15 to someone else who sees that name and thinks stud ... and let them deal with that risk.

I'm in a position to keep two players who I not only would want to build my team around, but can also "save money" and get them for "value" the way our keepers are set up. So yeah, ordinarily, I'd have no problem keeping AP for $45 and taking that risk, but because I have Bell ($20 to keep going for $46), Graham ($41 to keep going for $62) and Nelson ($20 to keep going for $38) I have to actually think about AP ($45 to keep going for $67).

Bell's YPC worries me but he's a strength for PPR, even in my .5 league. I guess I'm lucky in that I have multiple options to consider for keepers ... but the more I analyze it the more I see faults in each of them. Blech. At least I have another month to decide haha.
    They all have faults. McCoy and Charles may have been overused last year. You and I won't agree on Graham. If he's been carrying you then I'd think you'd be fine staying with it. You have more experience than I do with building your team around a TE.

The money all kind of evens out over the course of a season, whether you save 20ish bucks on one guy or another guy. The bulk of your roster is WRs and RBs so if I can save on getting myself top players at those positions I would. For you, I'd look at it like which 2 of the 4 do you want to build your team around. They're all good value and they all have selling value. If I was in your situation it would be easy for me to pick Jordy and AP.
    Last edited by eaglesnut; 07-18-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12