Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Leftovers

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Yep, I agree - the backtrack was really well done. Really showed the difference in people's lives. I still don't think they're ever going to give us 'answers' as such. Why, how, those kind of answers...

I've been wrong before though.

I LOVED how such little things become big things in the life 'before.' Quitting smoking, is this all there is to my life, that kind of stuff. Afterwards of course that all pales.
    Yeah, it wasn't that I wanted the show to hold my hand or walk me through every aspect of the characters lives pre-disappearance with my earlier complaints in the thread. Its nice though, whether right or wrong in my opinion, to get a sense of who these people were before the event as to form an opinion of the characters. I can understand now, least I think I can, why Nora, Laurie, Matt, and Jill are so nihilistic, gloomy or angry and hurt etc. Or the change in Patty from seemingly downtrodden and beaten down house frau to hard as nails, no nonsense leader of the Guilty Remnant. Or Kevin who pretty much just seems like he was an ass0 both pre and post disappearance, but being able to understand and relate to his is this all there is to life unhappiness and questioning. And like you say, how after a major and tragic event it puts into perspective how small all the sh*t we once thought were major things in life.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    What? So no one, but me is watching anymore?

Vin? BPM? CHF? Nas? Fan?...................Anyone?
    I didn't get a chance to watch it until last night, very good episode and needed for the plot. Very interested to see what happens next week.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

There freakin better be a season 2.

There freakin better be a season 2.
    Well they certainly have the storylines set up. Another great episode, favorite spot was definitely the Nothing Else Matters symphony version. Very fitting.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Loved the first season of The Leftovers. I guess unrelentingly bleak is my thing. I thought the flashback episode was great. It was nice to see what everyone's life was like pre-departure. I had a pretty good idea of what the Guilty Remnant was up to once they showed those Loved One dolls in Nora's solo episode. It was still crazy to see how they pulled it off, staging them in people's homes and such. I'd want to hurt them, too.
    God - An imaginary friend for grown-ups.

Very interesting season. I like that it never tried to conform to what the audience thought it should be.

The flashback episode was key IMO. It really drew you in and helped you relate more to the characters.

The whole town beating the **** out of the GR was pretty insane. The stuff with the mom and Jill was pretty intense. It showed that she's still in there somewhere.

I don't know what is/was up with Wayne, but damn he was intriguing. His moment with Kevin was pretty awesome IMO.

I didn't buy the pastor helping him out with the dead chick so non chalantly. I can't tell what's real with him and what isn't either.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    The flashback episode was key IMO. It really drew you in and helped you relate more to the characters.
    There was some sentiment from some, or so it seemed, that it (any background or pre-departure details) wasn't necessary or required.

The whole town beating the **** out of the GR was pretty insane. The stuff with the mom and Jill was pretty intense. It showed that she's still in there somewhere.
    Yep.

I don't know what is/was up with Wayne, but damn he was intriguing. His moment with Kevin was pretty awesome IMO.
    They need to do a recap episode of Wayne. He was much more than some narcissistic loon with a Messiah complex. What, if anything does he know about the departure? Whaddya think Kevin's wish was? I think it was bringing his family back together. Though it might not transpire in the way Kevin wants.

I didn't buy the pastor helping him out with the dead chick so non chalantly. I can't tell what's real with him and what isn't either.
    Yeah, the pastor is certainly a wildcard. And Nora is as well. I don't know what the deal is with her, but I think Wayne and Christine's baby saved her fro whatever she was planning to do. I also think the baby's gonna be her salvation in some way to the tragedy that's befallen her.
    Last edited by Breed; 09-08-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Yah,the baby is definitely going to help save Nora. It definitely turned her around right in that moment and gave her purpose again.

Agreed that we need more on Wayne.

I felt the pre-departure stuff was very necessary myself.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Though uncertain when exactly it hits the scene, season 2 is a go for 2015.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/9414...premiere-date/

Some talk from Carrie Coon, the actress who's Nora Durst.

http://cartermatt.com/131781/leftove...-noras-future/

Coming from the guy who thought the show was worthy of its own thread, and I'm now glad that you did by the way. I'm a little disappointed to hear that, homey.
    I've been in a spousal situation. She finds the show hard to take, but compelling. So she says she wants to see it, but every time I propose watching it, she's not in the mood. I got her drunk tonight and watched the last two episodes. I probably should have used the drunkenness for something else she's never in the mood for, but, for you, anything.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Loved the second-to-last episode. I knew where it was going the whole time, but it put a lot in context. We can really understand why people are coping the way that they are. There also seems to be a theme that the disappeared are those who were complicating people's lives. Everyone was wishing that those people could just go away. It was just a part of themselves and maybe just for a moment, but it was real. Now they're gone. So the people left behind are guilty. They know some part of themselves wanted exactly what they got. Now they hate themselves for it. They wonder if they made it happen. Maybe they did.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567