Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
    1: I like to think I have a working brain. As a kid my family grew up on food stamps, so I did not see this as racial. Then again I am not an Obama Chearleader (nor am I in the "everything he does is wrong camp.)

2: There are a record number of people on food stamps.

There are some things that are clear-no, no-doubt-about-it racisit comments.

Then we have people who want to make it racisit. Like Eric Holder the other day and you Jack on this issue.
    Newt's remark sounds awfully dog whistlish to me, and if you go back and look at the commentary at the time a lot of people had the same inference (and it wasn't just liberals). Now I'm not saying Newt himself is a racist; I don't believe that he is. He is, however, cynical and opportunistic, and he knows how to exploit the id of the Republican primary voter. Remember these are the folks who booed a gay soldier and cheered the prospect of leaving the uninsured to die.
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
    Driving out to Michigan this weekend (from Mass) I heard a clip of first Howard Dean and then others saying "We have to take America back." Not sure where I heard or if it was a local or national show."

Besides that in NO WAY is saying "We need to take back Amerca racist" when it comes to the polices of ANY president.
    I think every potential presidential challenger in my lifetime has used the phrase "take America back".

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
    You don't think there are areas of the country where substantial segments of the population are prejudiced against black people?
    Keep backpedaling. You'll run into Contador, who had to drop out.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Keep backpedaling. You'll run into Contador, who had to drop out.
    Please explain how this is backpedaling.

Anyway, this is getting into the weeds. I only meant to challenge the implication that the left is more prone to exploit race (or class, for that matter, as Obama is oft accused of doing). The way I see it politicians are opportunistic and I don't see either side is much better or worse when it comes to exploiting divisions for their own benefit. I suppose the primary reason we don't see eye to eye on this is because it's much like the erstwhile judicial activist label - i.e. it's in the eye of the beholder. That's why I see Newt playing dog whistle politics and don't really see how acknowledging that some of the opposition to Obama stems from racial animus is such an affront. Clearly some of the more conservative posters see the inverse.
    Last edited by JackBauer; 07-18-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Very interesting article. Holder's had an interesting life (if the article is accurate and I see no reason to say that it isn't) Thanks for posting, Ray.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Holder is a piece of ****.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Η ζωή ενός σκλάβου είναι όλοι καταλαβαίνετε, δεν ξέρεις τίποτα από την ελευθερία. Γιατί αν το κάνατε, θα μας ενθάρρυνε να πολεμήσουν, όχι μόνο με το δόρυ μας, αλλά και με ό, τι έχουμε.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    I think every potential presidential challenger in my lifetime has used the phrase "take America back".
    Easy enough to google. Bush said "don't want to take this country back" to malaise, which is different. Couldn't find an instance where Bush said it, so i don't need to google every other President.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Dog whistle.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345