Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Heh. You ****in nailed it, UD.
    We can't help it if it's true.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Cue proclamations of "I don't eat any of that crap!" in 5...4...3...
    Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Heh. You ****in nailed it, UD.
    You could do a variation of this with every thread on here.

Not that impressive.
    Burn like an LA sunset, colorful, toxic

Where's Guinness?
    I promise I won't do it again

Guiness has high fructose corn syrup in it, believe it or not. Not a big deal to me, I'll still have a few every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonett View Post
    My violin gently weeps.

Whole Foods is a good example of how you can make packaged products last on the shelves for plenty of time and still not be harmful.
    So you don't think that was a good summary?

Not everything at Whole Foods is good for you. That's where I get most of my food, BTW.

Maybe I can sum it all up a little better than before. The more processed it is the more your body misses out on doing the processing.

It's simple for me...if it tastes good...I am eating it. If it kills me...I'll calculate how fast it'll kill me and adjust my eating accordingly (e.g. Oreo cookies would probably take 7-8 years off my life MAX if I ate a box every day = OK to eat once in a while).
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    So you don't think that was a good summary?

Not everything at Whole Foods is good for you. That's where I get most of my food, BTW.

Maybe I can sum it all up a little better than before. The more processed it is the more your body misses out on doing the processing.
    It sounded more like you were defending preservatives saying that it wouldn't last very long on a shelf without it. Misread on my part, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonett View Post
    It sounded more like you were defending preservatives saying that it wouldn't last very long on a shelf without it. Misread on my part, my bad.
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. I see how you could have read it that way. This franken preservative stuff they create in labs is what I was talking about. I mean if it kills the life that is trying to grow within the food, how can it possibly be good for the life in my gut? Food's not meant to be preserved for long periods, it's meant to be alive and then eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. I see how you could have read it that way. This franken preservative stuff they create in labs is what I was talking about. I mean if it kills the life that is trying to grow within the food, how can it possibly be good for the life in my gut? Food's not meant to be preserved for long periods, it's meant to be alive and then eaten.
    This is true, without question. But it is true because the food industry has been on a mission to lower food costs, so that everyone has too much food to eat even if it ends up being massively unhealthy food.

100 years ago, food was expensive and medical care was cheap. Meat was a luxury for many households, a Sunday chicken was a rare treat, and beef wasn't found by the ton sitting under cellophane wrap in the grocery. But a visit from your local family doctor who made house calls was affordable for most everyone. Over time, refrigeration and preservatives lowered the cost of food, but preservatives made it more profitable for the food industry - lower cost, less lost product rotting on shelves unsold. It made food cheaper, more widely available, and way more unhealthy. Meanwhile the cost of health care has skyrocketed.

It costs less for a poor family to buy TV dinners and boxes of Mac n Cheese than to buy real produce and meat and cook a real, unprocessed meal. And our health results plummet as a result.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    This is true, without question. But it is true because the food industry has been on a mission to lower food costs, so that everyone has too much food to eat even if it ends up being massively unhealthy food.

100 years ago, food was expensive and medical care was cheap. Meat was a luxury for many households, a Sunday chicken was a rare treat, and beef wasn't found by the ton sitting under cellophane wrap in the grocery. But a visit from your local family doctor who made house calls was affordable for most everyone. Over time, refrigeration and preservatives lowered the cost of food, but preservatives made it more profitable for the food industry - lower cost, less lost product rotting on shelves unsold. It made food cheaper, more widely available, and way more unhealthy. Meanwhile the cost of health care has skyrocketed.

It costs less for a poor family to buy TV dinners and boxes of Mac n Cheese than to buy real produce and meat and cook a real, unprocessed meal. And our health results plummet as a result.
    Very good post. Yeah, very few people were walking around all fat in the 50s, and they had plenty to eat back then. Now most people are fat, and their main defense is either being blindly dismissive, or something a TV commercial told them (Think of the scene in Idiocracy where they were arguing about Brawndo sports drink destroying crops).

The food lobbies are stronger than just about anything out there, and has done an awesome job of making everyone think that everything is just fine. Not one president or congress has ever put up a real fight against them. It had to come from the people, and thankfully it did.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234