Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cops need to really be better at threat assessment. A few years ago a cop in Seattle killed a deaf man on the street. The man had a closed knife on him.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/30/...lice.shooting/

It was very much an over-reaction by the cop. The man was making no threatening gestures. He was just walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvLw2ksPz0 This is an extreme example, but again just like this lady the force is a crazy point past being acceptable for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Cops need to really be better at threat assessment. A few years ago a cop in Seattle killed a deaf man on the street. The man had a closed knife on him.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/30/...lice.shooting/

It was very much an over-reaction by the cop. The man was making no threatening gestures. He was just walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvLw2ksPz0 This is an extreme example, but again just like this lady the force is a crazy point past being acceptable for the situation.

Yeah...the guy was apparently a wood whittler....

There were protests...and I think some sensitivity training, but nothing was done basically....

I know OF at least 3 deaf people who have gotten beat downs....and many more who got fukked over in prison/jail by guards/cops...(e.g. they never were able to make one friggin' call and as a result held for multiple days....one guy in a documentary I saw even attempted suicide after 42 friggin' days to get medical attention then finally was able to get a friggin' lawyer).
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    I'm not in the "being a cop is hard" crowd. I don't view being a cop, fireman, military service of any other job I can think of as being more heroic than another. I'm not going to advocate putting a cop to death though because he went above and beyond necessary force....................unless the person that unnecessary forced was used on dies, is seriously injured or it can be proven the cop was attempting to kill the person. I don't see any of that criteria being met in this instance here. At least not at this present time.
    I believe in equal retributive justice when it comes to citizens vs. citizens. Eye for an eye, etc.

But when it comes to cops who just beat the piss out of people for not listening to them, they should be punished severely. Death? No. But they should definitely be fired and banned from being cops ever again, rather than moved to a desk job for a month while it blows over and put right back on the street.

If you violate the public's trust in you, and your ability to protect us rather than assault us, you are unfit to be wearing a badge of any sort. Ever.

With great power comes great responsibility.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    I believe in equal retributive justice when it comes to citizens vs. citizens. Eye for an eye, etc.

But when it comes to cops who just beat the piss out of people for not listening to them, they should be punished severely. Death? No. But they should definitely be fired and banned from being cops ever again, rather than moved to a desk job for a month while it blows over and put right back on the street.

If you violate the public's trust in you, and your ability to protect us rather than assault us, you are unfit to be wearing a badge of any sort. Ever.

With great power comes great responsibility.
    I agree with the above....but the a-hole cop doesn't deserve the death penalty here though....I'd have no problem throwing him in prison for assault though....subject to the maximum sentence available....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    If that video is all they have, it not even close to enough to send the officer to prison (I don't have sound so the video is all I see).

In the video the person is clearly still resisting by not letting go of whatever that pink thing is and then at different parts is grabbing at the officers shoulders and wrists.

Need to know a ton more to even think about disciplinary actions let alone criminal charges.
    Wow
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

CHP officials told reporters at a Friday news conference that she was not injured and that she was undergoing a mental health evaluation. The woman's name is not being released, CHP officials said.

The woman is being treated at a mental health facility in South Los Angeles and doctors are not allowing the family to see her, Harper said.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...705-story.html

Oh yeah. Can't wait to see the results of this thorough investigation.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

She wasn't injured? What was he fake hitting her? Thats unbelievable

Has there ever been a case where a person was put to death without committing murder? You know where the victim actually died? Of course not. So let's stop this nonsense about the death penalty.
    6 Footers For Bogey Really Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    Has there ever been a case where a person was put to death without committing murder? You know where the victim actually died? Of course not. So let's stop this nonsense about the death penalty.
    Treason is punishable by death.

Just sayin....
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Treason. Witchcraft!

It is completely absurd in this context though. That it came from a "libertarian" makes it all the more hilariously ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Treason. Witchcraft!

It is completely absurd in this context though. That it came from a "libertarian" makes it all the more hilariously ridiculous.
    Oh, now you did it.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Yes, pretty much certain. Both under the watch of GW and Perry.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    I'm not in the "being a cop is hard" crowd. I don't view being a cop, fireman, military service of any other job I can think of as being more heroic than another. I'm not going to advocate putting a cop to death though because he went above and beyond necessary force....................unless the person that unnecessary forced was used on dies, is seriously injured or it can be proven the cop was attempting to kill the person. I don't see any of that criteria being met in this instance here. At least not at this present time.
    I think however, you do understand, that many of us are very outraged by this. A burly man beating on a prone woman on the ground. It really, really signals a primal feeling of self defense. A wish to jump to that woman's aid. I understand what you're saying though. It's just not easy for most of us to witness a crime like this done by the very people who are supposed to protect us. How can any of us feel safe now? How can we feel our families are safe? When the Police are just as dangerous as the criminals in our society.
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

Certainly spying could get you the DP. IIRC rape was once a capital offense as well.

But it's been a long time since anyone who did not murder someone else was put to death by a US court.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

And this ain't the place to start.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123