When do you guys declare your keepers?

And do you have a plan in place if someone gets hurt in the preseason?

This question is coming up in my main keeper league. We have been declaring keepers at our annual summer meeting (usually takes place around July 4th). There's been a proposal to move this to about a week or 2 before the draft. I'm not sure that's enough time to prepare for the draft. The proposal is also calling for a provision where an owner can replace a keeper (from his original roster) if one of his keepers gets hurt in a preseason game. Not a fan of changing the players pool after keepers are declared at all. Makes no sense to do all this preparation and have the player pool possibly change a couple days before the draft. I would rather declare keepers on draft day and give everyone absolutely no time to prepare than to change the players pool. Maybe there is a way to add compensary picks, should this situation ever arise?
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

The one league I have where we have to declare at the end of June annoys me to no end. In my mind, the completely arbitrary chance of having a keeper go on IR outweighs needing to "prepare" for the draft.

Let's be serious, you have your rankings. Somebody keeping one player over another at draft time isn't going to radically alter your strategy.

Have keepers lock a few days before the draft. Enough time to see whos gone and adjust accordingly.

Injuries happen. Someone will get hosed by an injury regardless of when you declare your keepers. That said I'd agree there isn't any true urgency to allow weeks and weeks of prep time. A few days before the draft should be more than sufficient for any marginally competent owner.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Oh and just to clarify...no changesies if someone gets hurt. That's a can of worms you don't want opened.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

In both my leagues we hold the draft less than one week before the season starts.

In both we don't announce our keepers but right them on a piece of paper moments before the draft start and turn them in secretly and then announce it before the draft officially starts. No one knows who is keeping who for sure in either of my leagues until the draft is already under way.

There is no way I would go for announcing a keeper until the preseason is already mostly over. Fantasy football is hard enough as it is without being screwed before the season even starts by an injury. No way a draft should happen until AFTER the 3rd week of the preseason (to see if anyone gets thru healthy) if at all possible and no way a person should be forced to announce a keeper before that IMO.

I am the commish in my keeper league and all keepers must be declared 48 hours prior to draft The commish declares keeper 3 days before because he will know keepers before the rest of league and this there's no issue with a commish possibly swapping after seeing a trend of RB or WR or QB.
    "aahhhhh, he said nig gaaah"
    Courtesy of Riley Cooper's hot friend.

My college fantasy league we do 2 keepers.

They are declared a week before the draft.

but we also do a slow draft so there is some risk involved.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

We do it 1-2 weeks before the draft.

I'd prefer to declare earlier because it adjusts the player's values and allows me to trade picks for players and fill in my roster before the draft without no keeper limits.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

We write ours down and put the names into a hat, and make the announcement 10-15 minutes before the draft. If you can't make your keeper pick by 10 minutes out, Commish can make you take the highest rated player on your roster on the ESPN top 100 list.

Collectively (our entire league feels this way), we see no reason to be forced to pick players before the draft that could be traded to another team, busted for drugs, tear an ACL, or any number of things, and completely ruin an owner's team before the draft even starts. We just don't see any argument for picking even just a day earlier.

Let's face it, you can look at all the teams in your league, and you can tell which player they're going to pick. This isn't rocket surgery. Now and then, perhaps one or two teams might change it up and keep a stud QB instead of a stud RB, or a WR, but that's only one or two players difference in your top 20 list. There's no reason you can't ID a few potential changes ahead of time and know what you're going to do if a player isn't available. This is what drafting is all about; preparing and shifting on the fly when somebody ahead of you takes the stud you wanted.

If you show up to a draft, knowing that your star player that was declared as a keeper two weeks ago isn't going to play at all this season, the draft (or the season) really just isn't going to be fun, is it? The draft should be one of the most fun parts of the season, when everybody gets together, has a few drinks and some laughs, and we all pick on the dude that's late by making him take a kicker in round two. Making somebody take a loser in what is essentially the first round, because you can't predict that he would take Adrian Peterson as a Keeper (or if he's injured that he'd keep Aaron Rodgers) seems especially silly to me.

Just my opinion.

I do know that I would not join a league that had such serious rules (declaring too far in advance) when it's my belief that if they're really that serious they'd know exactly what's going to happen in the keeper department in the first place.

I wish you luck in your draft, have a great year!