Bobby Womack won't be "Lookin for a Love" cause "it's All Over Now"

Great, underappreciated R&B artist for over 50 years.

Didn't get the credit here he did in Europe, but his songwriting paid the bills. Controversy about marrying Sam Cooke's widow too soon, conflicts with his religious upbringing and secular music and a drug and alcohol program kept him from the type of fame he likely could have had.

Last edited by RayClay; 06-28-2014 at 04:09 AM.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

RIP. Looking back, he came up at a weird time, and fits a kinda weird place in music history. Like Paul Williams fronting the Isley Brothers: heart and grease. But in a weird ratio. He was insanely talented all across the board, but didn't handle his talent all that well (personally or professionally). I wish he'd had half his mentor's ambition and tenacity, but still, what a helluva voice. Even if he's drawing on someone in that Soul Train clip.
    Last edited by karhu; 06-28-2014 at 07:08 AM.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Love the Dead covering that second one. The Stones had a fine one too.

The R&B guys that came up at that time were awesome. Such a meaningful contribution in the history of music. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Like Paul Williams fronting the Isley Brothers:
    What you talkin bout, Willis? Paul "writer of the songs "Old Fashioned Love Song" and "We've Only Just Begun" that were hits for Three Dog Night and The Carpenters, really short dude with really blonde hair" Williams? That Paul Williams?
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

RIP Bobby. I'm not sure there's a song written that you couldn't take and make your own in some way.

Not sure I totally agree with the "Bobby didn't get the love he deserved" slant in the thread. He wrote/co-wrote a sh*tload of hits from the 50s into the 90s+. Not that its the end all be all, especially if an artist indulges in a genre outside of rock n roll, but he's in the RnR Hall of Fame as well. Maybe its a skin color thing, not in a racist way though as blacks loved Bobby W as a performer whether he was singing his own songs or cover tunes. and eses IE Mexicans, loved his oldies and slow jams. IMO songwriting was his real bread n butter earnings-wise, if not popularity-wise and he knew that and was cool with it for the most part.

He did have a great voice though and he was a much better guitarist than a lot of people probably realize. That was something he never really displayed unless you saw him perform live.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    RIP Bobby. I'm not sure there's a song written that you couldn't take and make your own in some way.

Not sure I totally agree with the "Bobby didn't get the love he deserved" slant in the thread. He wrote/co-wrote a sh*tload of hits from the 50s into the 90s+. Not that its the end all be all, especially if an artist indulges in a genre outside of rock n roll, but he's in the RnR Hall of Fame as well. Maybe its a skin color thing, not in a racist way though as blacks loved Bobby W as a performer whether he was singing his own songs or cover tunes. and eses IE Mexicans, loved his oldies and slow jams. IMO songwriting was his real bread n butter earnings-wise, if not popularity-wise and he knew that and was cool with it for the most part.

He did have a great voice though and he was a much better guitarist than a lot of people probably realize. That was something he never really displayed unless you saw him perform live.
    I'm sure more people know the covers of his hits than know his name. The obit mentioned Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Al Green etc. For someone with his musical, singing and songwriting ability, he never broke big himself, or crossed over.

People in the business and R&B fans knew, but he was hardly a household name.
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    What you talkin bout, Willis? Paul "writer of the songs "Old Fashioned Love Song" and "We've Only Just Begun" that were hits for Three Dog Night and The Carpenters, really short dude with really blonde hair" Williams? That Paul Williams?
    Yikes! Wasn't Paul Williams the Temptation who shot himself way back when? The frontman-by-default before David Ruffin stepped up? Might be getting the name wrong, or the whole damned story, but that's what I was thinking of.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Yikes! Wasn't Paul Williams the Temptation who shot himself way back when? The frontman-by-default before David Ruffin stepped up? Might be getting the name wrong, or the whole damned story, but that's what I was thinking of.
    Nah, I figured you meant him, but didn't see the connection to the Isley's and Womack. Sam Cooke was the mentor of Womack who died young.

Little soul singer scramble Karhu?
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Nah, I figured you meant him, but didn't see the connection to the Isley's and Womack. Sam Cooke was the mentor of Womack who died young.

Little soul singer scramble Karhu?
    Maybe. I was just thinking about where Womack fit in amongst the bigger names, and got it into my head that he was a sort of transitional figure. Williams sprang to mind partly because their voices are kinda similar. In any case, I think of the Temptations as one of the last huge old-guard R&B groups (who also did amazing work in the '70s) and the Isleys as a great example of the new guard that came up in the '70s (except that they'd started out, when, in the late '50s/early '60s, just like Womack and just like the Ts). So I ended up with a goofy equation of (Williams + Isleys) / 2 = Womack.

You and Breed nailed what I'd just gestured at, though: it's not that he was tragically ahead of or behind the times, it's that Womack's strongest suit was his songwriting. I could use an education here, but my sense is that the Temptations didn't write a ton of their stuff, and that the Isleys' songwriting kicked into gear when they shifted away from Motown and toward the '70s-era Isleys that most people remember. Womack was a terrific, prolific songwriter, so his repertoire--his whole career, really--was more beholden to his own talents than to stuff written (and approved, and recorded, and distributed) with record sales in mind.

Actually, karhu. It looks like you nailed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wi...e_Temptations)

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Paul Williams (July 2, 1939 Ė August 17, 1973) was an American baritone singer and choreographer. Williams was noted for being one of the founding members and original lead singer of the Motown group The Temptations. Along with David Ruffin, Otis Williams (no relation), and fellow Alabamians Eddie Kendricks and Melvin Franklin, Williams was a member of The Temptations during the "Classic Five" period. Personal problems and failing health forced Williams to retire in 1971. He was found dead two years later as the result of an apparent suicide.
    Paul Williams

And damn good call on saying the Temps didn't write the majority of their songs and the IBs didn't tell after they left Motown.

From what I've read, Gordy was pretty adamant about sticking to what was a successful formula. Sing love songs and other songs that make people feel good. Gordy didn't wanna risk rockin the money train with his artists doing political/speaking their opinion songs on events of the time. So much so that Gordy supposedly squashed all efforts by Sam Cooke who wanted to do songs with more relevance and depth beyond romance/feel good songs.

Motown had a few, no more than a couple handful maybe? That wrote the lion's share of songs for almost all Motown artists. I bet those cats, at least some of them and particularly Gordy, have some serious coin stacked away because of that.

Maybe Bobby W became hip to the game at an early age. Singing hits records will make you famous and a stone cold ***** magnet for real. Writing and owning the lyrics/music of hit songs and all that comes with it though. Allows you to put down significant sums of money towards homes, cars etc in a manner that you're not making weekly or monthly payments on said purchases for the next 5, 10, 20 years. You're owning whatever you take off the lot and/or paying off your hillside or beachfront or in the heart of the big city and bright lights crib in 5 or 6 years not 30 or 35 years.

Womack and his brothers were gospel singers, since Womack was seven (he started to stand out.) Bobby was a protege of former gospel singer Sam Cooke, who had started to develop business wise, with his own label and management. That's probably why womack ended up with the rights to his songs, which was not at all assured for black artists in those days (Cooke died in '64). without Cooke's label and guidance, he floundered. plus marrying his widow before the body was cold didn't help his image among others in the community.

I read he was pissed when others covered his songs until they told him about the checks, which leads me to believe the business savvy Cooke had set him up.
    and a one point plan.