Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Suicide is everyone's option. You have a point or just paddin'?
    Sure if you want to end up in hell.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    How many people died because they didn't accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior?

Got a number or just some stuff you're repeating that you heard on the internet?
    That's our Walsh: you can't Torquemada anything.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

I'm just sorry I missed that time period when homosexuality in the public square was all the rage. Must have made Mardi Gras seem like a Girl Scout jamboree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeyMonsta View Post
    Or it could be that people are leaving the Church due to scandals....
    Certainly a contributing factor, I'm sure. Particularly for those raised in the Catholic faith.

Yup. But I was already distancing myself from the church before the scandals broke.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Speaking of Egypt, how funny would it be if instead of actually revering cats those drawings and statues were just their version of lolcats?
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Fear of a plague, disease, getting hit by a car, war, a heart attack, West Nile, etc.... ? Really? None of this has an impact on my belief in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. If this finding truly 'fueled' an uptick in Christianity - I don't understand their specific beliefs in God at the time.
    When life feels insecure, people turn to guns (or swords, in this case) and God. Assuming persecution of Christians at the time, Christians figured their death might as well mean something rather than just croaking with a fever. That, in turn, makes others think that Christianity might be something worth dying for, so they join the faith.

I do, however, wonder about the pervasiveness of persecution at the time that would allow for such concentrated growth. We tend to overestimate the amount of persecution.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    I found it interesting that one of the links you can click on in that section of CNN said "Is the Internet killing religion?". It basically posits that the large jump in unaffiliated, or "nones" as the author calls them, is due in part to the adoption of the Internet. He admits its not 100% conclusive and direct, there are other factors, but he believes the Internet to be a contributing factor.

So, a plague sends people scrambling towards religion, and widely available access to information and communication sends them elsewhere.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/0...ling-religion/
    I find it interesting that this study attributes the largest chunk of disaffiliation, 50%, to "generational replacement," which appears to mean that religion is not being transferred from parents to children as reliably as it was in the past. I also find it interesting that this is attributed to politics, specifically political shifts that I have argued here:

One explanation Pew gives is that our nation is experiencing political backlash – "that young adults, in particular, have turned away from organized religion because they perceive it as deeply entangled with conservative politics and do not want to have any association with it."

More specifically, Pew explains, this brand of religion and politics is out of step with young adult views on same-sex rights and abortion.
    IIRC, my position was said to be ridiculous by some people around here.

I also think one of the other factors that is often overlooked is mentioned here:

Postponement of marriage and parenthood, broader social disengagement and general secularization of society may also play a part, according to Pew.
    I've had this conversation with church growth consultants. It used to be that kids went to church with their parents until they hit 18-25, then they got married and had their own kids and brought them to the same church. Now, you turn 18, go to college, focus on career, then start to settle down at 30-35. You haven't had kids that you want to bring up in the church, so you don't go. So there is this gap of 15 years or so in church-goers. The conversation I had was primarily about money; it disintegrates the culture of church giving, but I'm sure it also disintegrates other aspects of church culture as well.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12