Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'll take Strawmen for $1000, Alex...
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by brh View Post
    Really? Have you ever watched NFL preseason games? It seems pretty obvious to me that a fair number of veteran players couldn't give 2 ****s about it and are just going through the motions. Those games are only meaningful to young players fighting for a roster spot. Wilson had just signed a 3 year deal with $1 Million guaranteed. He wasn't fighting for a roster spot.
    Do you REALLY want to go through the list of veterans with guaranteed $$$ who have been cut in the past at the end of TC? Sure, some veterans WHO ARE TEAM STAPLES AT OR NEAR THEIR PRIME are locks to make it and won't get cut. Wilson was not in that category. Guaranteed money is already spent. The question is whether they want to keep him at the 33-year old vet minimum ($900K+?) or whatever he signed for or go with a younger guy. Cutting vets has happened before to players with much more guaranteed. And it will happen again.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Do you REALLY want to go through the list of veterans with guaranteed $$$ who have been cut in the past at the end of TC? Sure, some veterans WHO ARE TEAM STAPLES AT OR NEAR THEIR PRIME are locks to make it and won't get cut. Wilson was not in that category. Guaranteed money is already spent. The question is whether they want to keep him at the 33-year old vet minimum ($900K+?) or whatever he signed for or go with a younger guy. Cutting vets has happened before to players with much more guaranteed. And it will happen again.
    Well said Mike. Wilson was no lock to make the Pats' roster and had to show he could play. He only stuck around as long as he did because of the injury.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Sure, let's go through that list. Go ahead and provide your extensive list of veteran free agents that were given a contract with $1 Million or more guaranteed and got cut by the end of their 1st training camp with their new team.

Really? Have you ever watched NFL preseason games? It seems pretty obvious to me that a fair number of veteran players couldn't give 2 ****s about it and are just going through the motions. Those games are only meaningful to young players fighting for a roster spot. Wilson had just signed a 3 year deal with $1 Million guaranteed. He wasn't fighting for a roster spot.
    Exactly.

Every single year there is some crises about such and such sucking in the preseason or this other one having a great preseason and it hardly ever means a damn thing then everyone forgets about it and then it happens again the next year.
    "I despise money" -NoSlowBuffalo-

If he's healthy great but I'm not holding my breath... Fortunately, S has little impact on the game. If the D-Line additions show up and the LBs start to develop we might have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowsk View Post
    If he's healthy great but I'm not holding my breath... Fortunately, S has little impact on the game. If the D-Line additions show up and the LBs start to develop we might have something.
    I don't buy this line that keeps getting thrown around. Heck...in a 4-3, and LB's and S's being equal in terms of talent, I'd say your safeties have more "impact" plays than your LBs.

Sure, let's go through that list. Go ahead and provide your extensive list of veteran free agents that were given a contract with $1 Million or more guaranteed and got cut by the end of their 1st training camp with their new team.
    Unfortunately, I don't have time these days to research this. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when cut downs happen, unless somebody else would like to do the work for me.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Unfortunately, I don't have time these days to research this. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when cut downs happen, unless somebody else would like to do the work for me.
    Silly me. Since you brought up this supposed list and claimed it was a such a common occurrence, I assumed you could actually name a few players. If you can't think of any examples, then what makes you so confident that it happens so frequently?

Silly me. Since you brought up this supposed list and claimed it was a such a common occurrence, I assumed you could actually name a few players. If you can't think of any examples, then what makes you so confident that it happens so frequently?
    Maybe we are miscommunicating. You claimed the he "wasn't fighting for a roster spot". I insisted that he was. I never said anything "happens so frequently". From where I sit, if I find one or two examples where older vet players with bonuses get cut, that proves my point which is that such players are not locks to make the team.

Maybe we are miscommunicating. You claimed the he "wasn't fighting for a roster spot". I insisted that he was. I never said anything "happens so frequently". From where I sit, if I find one or two examples where older vet players with bonuses get cut, that proves my point which is that such players are not locks to make the team.
    It's not just "older players with bonuses". It's a guy with $1 million guaranteed who was in his very first training camp with his new team. It is extremely rare for a player in that particular situation to get cut, even if they perhaps deserve to. Cutting them before their 1st season even starts makes the people responsible for guaranteeing them that large sum of money look like idiots that don't know what they are doing. So they don't cut them. They make excuses for why they look bad or they hope for/manufacture an injury to stash them on IR. Then they can cut them a year later and nobody really pays attention. It's an ego thing. Right or wrong, that's simply how the modern NFL operates. As much as we would all like to think that what the players do on the field is what really matters, that's sadly not the case. The egos of coaches & personnel guys not to mention finances play as big of a role as actual performance does.

Thus my comment that Wilson was not fighting for a roster spot. It would have been a major upset if he got cut prior to the start of the season no matter how badly he played in preseason. If you can come up with enough examples of players in Wilson's specific situation (first year with new team, $1 million or more guaranteed money) that got outright cut before the season started to show that it's anything but an extremely rare occurrence, then I'll happily concede your point. Otherwise, I stand my comment that he was in no real danger of getting cut and it's silly to make any judgements based on a 33 year old's contributions to a few meaningless preseason games.

The reasons to assume we'll get nothing of value from Wilson is that he's 34 years old, coming off a significant injury, was still available in the middle of June, and the team has absolutely nothing invested in him. His past preseason performance is entirely irrelevant.

Where did you get this from? I don't believe for a second the Bears have given Wilson $1M guaranteed... What is this? A signing bonus? I'm willing to bet that if they cut him before the season starts they won't be on the hook for more than a couple hundred thousand dollars max-- if that.

*****EDIT********
    Scratch that. I see now that you were referring to his previous Pat's Contract, not the Bears contract. Anyway, I think we all agree he is no lock for the Bears' roster and therefore will need to show up in TC and the presason games if he hopes to stick on this team which is why I think it is a fine signing for the Bears.
    Last edited by The Kaiser; 07-02-2014 at 01:48 AM.

I tore a calf muscle and it took two years to get the burst back, and it still feels weird on certain days. so it takes a while and we probably have him close to full strength.
    Slightly better Jay, different day

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    Wilson was with the Patriots for almost 2 years and didn't do squat even when he was healthy. Trust me, I have to listen to these bonehead New England fans believe every reclamation project will turn into Corey Dillon. They were all psyched when they signed Wilson, then the preseason came. He looked old and slow even before he got injured. Unless he somehow broke into Ray Lewis' moose antler spray or found a way to turn back time, you're simply looking through those blue and orange colored glasses on this one. I love the Adrian Wilson of 6-7 years ago but that's not who we signed.

... and what's with the excessive formatting? We can all read.
    This ^

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123