ESPNs Top 50 Coaches

Is anyone checking in on this what seems like endless process of counting down the coaches? I seen today they had Syracuse's Jim Boeheim as the 13th ranked coach in the game today. Maybe I'm wrong, but 13 sounds tome a little low and he's be slighted. I'm trying to figure out the 12 coaches ahead of him and I'm thinking I can maybe come up with 6 or 7 at most.

In no particular order

Mike Krzyzewski
    Rick Pitino
    John Calipari
    Bill Self
    Tom Izzo
    Billy Donovan

I thought maybe Roy Williams, but checked and he was ranked around 16. I put Donovan on my listing, but only because he wasn't on the ESPN list yet and he's at least a top 15 coach. No way I'd put him over Boeheim. I wonder if they're being sneaky and they have UConn's women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma. Even with Auriemma I'd have Boeheim in my top 5.

My top 10 in order

1. Mike Krzyzewski
    2. Tom Izzo
    3. Geno Auriemma
    4. Jim Boeheim
    5. Billy Donovan
    6. Larry Brown
    7. Rick Pitino
    8. Tommy Amaker
    9. Shaka Smart
    10. Bob Mckillop

I think for me taking a guy like John Calipari just doesn't work. I'd rather a coach who doesn't get the best High School recruits, but the kids he does get he gets the most out of. Which is why on my list you don't see Calipari, Self, or Williams. I was thinking about even keeping Pitino off, but to be honest I believe he gets a lot more out of his kids then he gets credit for. I just love guys like Tommy Amaker who has done wonders with frick'en Harvard or Bob Mckillop who every year takes on the big boys early, but by the end of the season has a Davidson team who no one wants to go against in the 1st round of the tournament. Actually the same goes for Shaka Smart and his VCU team and even Belmont's Rick Byrd who I just couldn't get in to my top 10, but would be in my top 20. There's also then Kevin Ollie who in his 1st year after taking over for a big time college coach took his team to the big game and won it, but I just couldn't put him on after 1 year. I do have some of the coaches at the top colleges, but only if I thought there coaching meant more then the recruiting did I put them on the list. What I mean is while teams like Duke, MSU, & Syracuse get some of the best HS Recruits I believe even if Izzo, Coach K, or Boehiem were coaching at schools where the recruiting wasn't good that these coaches would still be winning. You can't say that for a lot of coaches at the bigger schools.

Who is your top 50 coaches and what do you think of ESPN having Boeheim 13th?

Ollie at 10!!!!

#UConnHuskies
    #BetterThanDuke
    #Olliewood
    #DynastyComing
    #AintNoPartyLikeAUConnBlockParty

9 guys better than ollie will be interesting.

Cal
    Pitino
    K
    Donovan
    Bo Ryan
    Larry Brown
    Beilein
    Izzo
    Self

That's gotta be the 9 right?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Ollie at 10!!!!

#UConnHuskies
    #BetterThanDuke
    #Olliewood
    #DynastyComing
    #AintNoPartyLikeAUConnBlockParty

9 guys better than ollie will be interesting.

Cal
    Pitino
    K
    Donovan
    Bo Ryan
    Larry Brown
    Beilein
    Izzo
    Self

That's gotta be the 9 right?
    Ollie 10 after 1 year is beyond ridiculous.

I haven't gone back to look, but I think Bo Ryan and Larry Brown were already both ranked somewhere between 15 and 30.

2 years dude. 2 years. And one was a 20 win year with nothing to play for.

The other was a NC.

Although I think part of it is the nba hype as well

Leonard Hamilton's won at FSU with middling talent most years and he's not in the Top 50.

The other was a NC.

1 or 2 makes no difference IMO. It's way too soon to be ranked near the coaching legends he's being ranked alongside. I do agree it's all the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    Leonard Hamilton's won at FSU with middling talent most years and he's not in the Top 50.
    Exactly I'd without question have Hamilton above Ollie. Hamilton get's a lot out of the talent he gets at FSU, But unfortunately you have to take into account recruiting and it's his fault he's not bringing in better talent. IMO Hamilton's a fringe top 50 coach.

It's not a list of the most accomplished coaches though, it's about who's doing what right now. In recent history.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

The other was a NC.

I love Ollie, but 2 years is 2 years.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Let me ask this, who's had a better 2 years than Ollie?

Even Greg Marshall probably hasn't.

Maybe Pitino?

- Ghandi

Hey, if that's the list, I'm in
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Reading the articles they are very based in the last handful of years. Hence why Shaka Smart is also so high.

So Duke's 1992 title with what would be today's equivalent of the 2010 Kentucky tema staying until they were JRs and Srs really isn't all that relevant. It doesn't make Coach K a better coach in 2014.

- Ghandi

The list is a big load of Sh@t. Sure 2 SEC coaches are 1-2 in the rankings above Izzo, K, & Self? Izzo & Coach K should have been 1-2 without question. Than there's problems all over the list. Calipari's a bum and I like Donovan, but I'd have him closer to the 5-7 range versus the top coach in the NCAA

Currently Donovan has a pretty strong case. In the last 8 years he's got 2 titles and 3 FFs.

Right now Izzo and K have better careers.

But recent history definitely does favor donovan.

although the correct answer to this list is Geno. No one's been more dominant since Wooden.

- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Lofaw View Post
    The list is a big load of Sh@t. Sure 2 SEC coaches are 1-2 in the rankings above Izzo, K, & Self? Izzo & Coach K should have been 1-2 without question. Than there's problems all over the list. Calipari's a bum and I like Donovan, but I'd have him closer to the 5-7 range versus the top coach in the NCAA
    Self is a great recruiter, but underachieves like mad with his teams.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

And btw, the correct answer for #1 is Geno.

Most successful CBB coach since Wooden.

- Ghandi