Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    legalizing corrupt things is still corrupt.

If Chicago legalized murder, they'd still be the murder capital of the nation.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    How about deals with private monopolistic firms? they seem to think that's OK, do you agree?

And further, if firms are monopolistic, why aren't we enforcing existing anti-trust laws?
    I don't understand your separation between private and public firms in this context? Most major construction jobs are done entirely by private construction firms.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

How about deals with private monopolistic firms? they seem to think that's OK, do you agree?

And further, if firms are monopolistic, why aren't we enforcing existing anti-trust laws?
    A monopolistic firm is a monopolistic firm, no matter the adjective you stick in front of it.

As far as anti-trust laws go, good question.

why aren't we enforcing existing anti-trust laws?
    Our current fetish to keep government out of everything?
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    I don't understand your separation between private and public firms in this context? Most major construction jobs are done entirely by private construction firms.
    Ensuring land owned by politically connected firms is used, altering laws for politically connected firms, altering tax policy so taxes are shifted to others etc. Pretty much anything that doesn't include state borrowing to finance projects.

It's hard to tell if you've looked at the actual study, or even my excerpt from it, so I don't know precisely where your confusion lies.

My language may be imprecise, but it's mostly because i am objecting to the bent of a study that no one here has probably looked at.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Ensuring land owned by politically connected firms is used, altering laws for politically connected firms, altering tax policy so taxes are shifted to others etc. Pretty much anything that doesn't include state borrowing to finance projects.

It's hard to tell if you've looked at the actual study, or even my excerpt from it, so I don't know precisely where your confusion lies.

My language may be imprecise, but it's mostly because i am objecting to the bent of a study that no one here has probably looked at.
    I looked over the study. I will admit I didn't dedicate a lot of time to it.

I guess I just don't find the premise that states large construction projects are more likely to lead to corruption than other state actions to be particularly surprising. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be done. It just means that the more money involved in a project, the more corruption involved. The same is certainly true in the private sector.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    I looked over the study. I will admit I didn't dedicate a lot of time to it.

I guess I just don't find the premise that states large construction projects are more likely to lead to corruption than other state actions to be particularly surprising. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be done. It just means that the more money involved in a project, the more corruption involved. The same is certainly true in the private sector.
    It doesn't matter if it's surprising, this is supposed to be a scientific study.

I have seen many administrations where "privatizing" was the goal and there were lots of ties between the private companies and the politicians, lots of bid rigging and lots of unwarranted tax breaks. Of course, the hypotheses this study is based on wouldn't count any of that money transfer back and forth because it wasn't borrowed and financed by the state.

Fortunately, we had a vice President cheney who knew how to operate a privatized government and lessen corruption, if corruption is seen as state financed construction projects.

Dick Cheney would be the poster boy for the authors of this study.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12