Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Student devt?

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    In my mind my wife and I are ready, in her mind we have about a million more things to do - that is a difference in how we look at things . I am absolutely excited about holding her for the first time, bringing her home, and everything that follows. There is nothing in my life that I have been more happy about than becoming a dad for the first time.
    Good stuff man. You've nailed the most important part of preparation already.

If I may offer one piece of unsolicited advice: make a bunch of dinners (e.g. shepherd's pie, lasagna) and freeze them in the next 6 weeks.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

In my mind my wife and I are ready, in her mind we have about a million more things to do - that is a difference in how we look at things . I am absolutely excited about holding her for the first time, bringing her home, and everything that follows. There is nothing in my life that I have been more happy about than becoming a dad for the first time.
    I have a daughter that will be born sometime in the next 6 weeks. In my mind her undergraduate education to literally any college she wants to attend is my responsibility as a parent. Parents have to nut the f*** up and provide for their kids, even if that means that you don't get to buy a new car every three years.
    We may not agree on much.

But I do honestly love your take on being a dad.

Although I'd never ever sleep if I had a daughter. lol
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    If the genetics of my wife and I hold to form my daughter will end up being a thin, blonde between the height of 5'7" and 5'10". So yeah, it will be a bit of a worry, but I am going to try my best not to get bent out of shape over that stuff. Humans eventually have sex, it is a fact. All I can do is raise her right, provide structure and love so that she doesn't feel the need to seek personal validation by being subservient to anyone else.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    I've got three. 16, 10, and 7.

Yeah. I don't sleep much.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Η ζωή ενός σκλάβου είναι όλοι καταλαβαίνετε, δεν ξέρεις τίποτα από την ελευθερία. Γιατί αν το κάνατε, θα μας ενθάρρυνε να πολεμήσουν, όχι μόνο με το δόρυ μας, αλλά και με ό, τι έχουμε.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    If I may offer one piece of unsolicited advice: make a bunch of dinners (e.g. shepherd's pie, lasagna) and freeze them in the next 6 weeks.
    Listen to the man.

And MK, if you find a way to freeze sleep and time, lemme know. Last month it took me two weeks to diagnose and replace a busted water pump in my truck because I could only work on the damned thing for five minutes at a time.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

If the genetics of my wife and I hold to form my daughter will end up being a thin, blonde between the height of 5'7" and 5'10". So yeah, it will be a bit of a worry, but I am going to try my best not to get bent out of shape over that stuff. Humans eventually have sex, it is a fact. All I can do is raise her right, provide structure and love so that she doesn't feel the need to seek personal validation by being subservient to anyone else.
    It's hard. Yes the best strategy is definitely to try and raise a good kid, with enough smarts and self-confidence to make it in this world but they'll still give you a run for your money.

I used to call my daughters 1st boyfriend "wooden head" but we both survived him with no lasting harm.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789