Sean Weatherspoon out for the season and veteran trade value

Weatherspoon is out for the season and the already LB needy Falcons just got needier.

There's some options in FA but the cowboys are in the same boat looking at them.

What is a guy like Kevin Burnett with a year on his contract worth to them right now?
    You are unique... Just like everyone else.

I heard the Cowboys were looking at Urlacher, not sure if that's still going on or what. He played for Marinelli and all. Not sure if he can still play at all, but neither can the current Cowboy LBs.

I don't think you get more than maybe a 5th for Burnett, but that's not so bad.

Sucks about Weatherspoon. I loved him coming out and he was becoming quite a good pro. Two years in a row with serious injuries now. That Atlanta D is going to be brutal again.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Jesus, 5 of the Niners backups are better than the Falcons starters. I think all 5 of Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Chris Borland, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody would start on that team. Hell, even 5th round pick Aaron Lynch might start.

How did that D get to be so damn pathetic?

They are going to run a 3-4 with:

SOLB Kroy Biermann/Osi Umenyiora
    SILB Paul Worrilow
    WILB Prince Shembo
    WOLB Jonathan Massaquoi

Holy hell
    Last edited by Sakic19; 06-11-2014 at 04:11 AM.
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

-My two favourite teams are the SF 49ers and whoever is playing the Seahawks.

There’s a thread around here (pre-draft) about the Lions trading up for Sammy Watkins that had a discussion on the stupidity of trading a bunch of high draft picks for your #2 WR. The Falcons are one of the examples of what happens to your defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakic19 View Post
    Jesus, 5 of the Niners backups are better than the Falcons starters. I think all 5 of Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Chris Borland, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody would start on that team. Hell, even 5th round pick Aaron Lynch might start.

How did that D get to be so damn pathetic?
    There is a whole school of thought going around the NFL right now that LB's are not as important as they once were.

Its so wrong its shocking that there are NFL GM's that are still completely skimping at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    There is a whole school of thought going around the NFL right now that LB's are not as important as they once were.

Its so wrong its shocking that there are NFL GM's that are still completely skimping at the position.
    Eagles did it forever with Andy Reid. It was so frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    There’s a thread around here (pre-draft) about the Lions trading up for Sammy Watkins that had a discussion on the stupidity of trading a bunch of high draft picks for your #2 WR. The Falcons are one of the examples of what happens to your defense.
    You can make those types of moves but you need team depth to be firmly in place already. The Falcons were not in that position when they traded up for Jones. Seattle was when they made a similar move (traded a 1st and a 3rd for Percy Harvin). With Buffalo, I tend to think they weren't in position as a team roster wise for such a move but they are closer than you think IMO. They most certainly were in a better position roster wise than Atlanta was when they made the move especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Yes...they gave up like a thousand points in their playoff loss (to GB I think?) then go and trade up for Julio. Meanwhile, their defense is littered with guys who have no business starting in the NFL.

There are obviously other factors (missing on draft picks, not signing quality FAs, etc.) but that trade for Julio sure didn't help. It was stupid then and it looks worse now.

Urlacher played really well his last year with the Bears. I wouldn't ask him to cover anyone but he's really excellent stopping the run and playing the gaps still. He was anyway. Another year older. His knees and everything else broken on him probably aren't getting much better.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

The Niners defense waves hello.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Erin Henderson is available, not the worst player ever, but a bit of a drunk and headcase. Desperate times and all.....

The Falcons defense has always sucked. Seriously 1998 was the only year we had a top 10 defense. As for the Julio trade, I don't think it hurt much. What has hurt the Falcons is they cant draft and typically always draft character/hustle guys that never pan out. If you look at our roster we basically have no one picked past round 2 that has been any good. As for last year, we really sucked because our line can't block. I am pretty certain there line was in the worst five in football. That hurt us more than our crappy defense. People point to Julio but our offense couldn't score in the readzone. I would wager they lost 3 or 4 games because they couldn't pick up a 3rd/4th and 1.
    Go Falcons

with so many teams switching to the 3-4 its making even more difficult to find the lbs and lineman to fit that scheme

i remember when pitt was the only team runnning the 3-4, they stayed competitive because they got the pick of the litter