Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Always tip in cash unless there is no other way around it. Anyone who ever has worked for tips thanks you.
    Just asking - when paying the tip in cash, isn't their less chance that a portion of the tip goes to cook staff?
    I use stats like a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    $1000 is not a tip, it's a gift.
    Interesting point for tax purposes. If treated as a gift, it is not taxable to the recipient. If treated as a tip, it is taxable compensation.
    I use stats like a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post
    Just asking - when paying the tip in cash, isn't their less chance that a portion of the tip goes to cook staff?
    I think it depends on the restuarant, many servers share tips with the staff and the cooks. So it was probably would have depended on the honesty of the waitress in this case.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post
    When the tip gets put on the debit/credit card, it then goes on the paycheck and is subject to being taxed. That's the official answer, and you 1) can lie about what you made in tips to get more on your paycheck, and 2) you'd end up having some more cash that night.
    Last edited by BigFin; 06-11-2014 at 03:48 PM.

When I was a busser at Cap's Island Restaurant, we got 2% of total sales. That would immediately come out of the pocket of the cash the servers made that night in tips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12