Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There is a substantial portion of the population that doesn't even seem to think that birth control is okay, so I shudder at the thought of how they would feel about something like parental accountability.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Isn't there a difference between "acting out" and stabbing or shooting someone?

The normal range of teenage behavior comes from the former, and it would be tough to hold parents responsible for such actions.

I think the latter does tend to come from bad parenting for any number of reasons.
    "Let's eat Grandma!"..."Let's eat, Grandma!"
    Punctuation saves lives.

The heavens declare Your glory - X Structure at the Core of Whirlpool Galaxy

Exactly, FG. I am not talking about your typical drama associated with raising kids but these extreme cases. Seems like most times there are bad kid situations that it is a child coming from a sh**ty household.
    enjoy the day - my bands album

3HB = Three Heads Brewing....my brewery.

Like parents buying their kids a GM car
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaPump View Post
    Inspired by the 12 year old stabbing thread.

I have 3 daughters (15,12,9) and I take my job as a parent very seriously. I would like to think I could sense some kind of issue coming up before it happened, as I am constantly talking to them about their day and lives. I have a hard time thinking they would ever commit a crime that is violent, and certainly it would be something I should see coming.

This is not me patting myself on the back or anything, but I just cannot fathom how parents of these kids that commit serious crimes are unaware that this stuff is about to happen.

Should there be more repercussions to the parents who have kids commit these crimes? If they are minors, are they not the parents responsibility?
    What do you do with the parents? I mean, do you take the kids away? Do you fine them? If the parents refuse to take the proper measures, what is the public's recourse?

I agree that parents need to be accountable, but in almost all cases, children are better off with their parents than in state custody. This is the giant elephant in the room.

Whatever the solution, it is going to be too expensive for half our country to want to pay for.
    Fear is the mind killer

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Before we go defining mental illness any way we see fit to accomplish whichever goals we have that month, can we make sure that fear of guns is defined as a mental illness. I bet the NRA, Pharma and their prosperous lobbyists could make it happen if they teamed up!
    I would say that people are not afraid of guns, they are afraid of strangers (or people they know) with guns. Very different.
    Fear is the mind killer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12